Hiking in Shenandoah NP during deer hunting season?

I was thinking about doing a 3 day backpacking trip in Shenandoah from 12/2-12/4. I'd arrive late in the evening on 12/2 and just sleep in the car or hike a mile in and set up my hammock. Plan was to start hiking at dawn of 12/3 near Brown's gap, head North on the AT, loop West to Brown Mtn Trail, South East on Rocky top, camp there for the night and then do a big loop South and back up the AT to Jones Run, stay there the night of 12/4 and then hike out 2 miles in the morning before dawn.

That being said, I just searched for VA hunting season and see firearms season ends on 12/3. I know hunting isn't allowed in Shenandoah, but Rocky Top begins right at the edge of the park and I'm sure some poachers wander just over the park boarders. Is it safe to backpack in the park/on the edges of the park during hunting season? I also see on my PATC topo map that Brown Gap Turnpike meets Skyline drive. However, it doesn't connect on Google Maps. Is it possible to take 629/Brown Gap Turnpike to Jones Run Trail and is there parking? I saw skyline drive is closed at night during deer hunting season, so I wasn't sure if there was a gate further down on Brown Gap Turnpike that was locked.

Many thanks in advance.

I will give you general advice. Wear orange as a hat a vest even a pack over if you think you might get shot at. The more orange the more likely to be seen. Hang some orange on your tarp ridgeline so people will see your tarp. Other then that I think you would be safe.

Appreciate the advice.

My pack cover is blaze orange, and I was planning on having it on my pack the entire time. I'm buying a $3 orange vest and $3 orange hat and will wear those as well. I'll tie both to my tarp when I hang.

I think I'll be safe, especially since there's no hunting on Sunday and no hunting in the park.

Hammock
    Hennessy Backpacker
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/hooks

Hiking in Shenandoah NP during deer hunting season?

I would also check with the National park service. I was planning on a hike last year and found that parts of skyline drive close to night traffic to prevent poaching. I don't know if this might affect your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I would also suggest not to wear red or white or blue, They are wild turkey colors and I don't know if they are in season right now as the laws vary in different states and countys, but you could be mistaken for ..... if it is and the hunter is a little less than ethical in the rules of hunter safety. Also bullets can go for miles and you may never hear a shot, so be sure to tell someone your plan and have a check in time and a SHTF time.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I purchased one of the Black Rock Gear down hats in Hunter Orange for this very reason.

• + New Posts