11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Climate control and gear storage

Hello,
    It's been a while since I've been around these parts. Life has really gotten in the way of my backpacking and I've been just backyard hammocking for the last year or two. Life has thrown some curve balls and I'm hoping you can help with one of them.

I just moved into a new home that has some storage challenges I haven't ran into before. My new home is a tri level. I have plenty of non climate controlled storage, but climate controlled storage is at a minimum. I live in MI so we get Cold Winters and relatively warm summers. I have an insulated but not heated 25x30 garage with full attic storage as well as attic storage in my home. I'm concerned that stored in plastic totes the quilts and hammocks will get too warm in the summer months. Are there any temperature guidelines for storing down quilts and hammocks? Thanks for any and all input.

Moisture in temperature swings is more of a concern than heat alone. Condensation could be a real problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Like JKJ, I'd definitely worry more about humidity than temperature. The moisture can lead to mildew, and your stuff will never smell the same after that. Over winter probably won't be a problem, but as it warms up issues will arise.

Also, attic storage does get pretty hot in some conditions. If your gear is sitting in 100+ temps for extended periods of time over the summer (because of radiant heat from the sun on the roof) that could degrade the strength of the fabric.

Sounds like a challenge! Good luck with the solution.

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    If your gear is sitting in 100+ temps for extended periods of time over the summer (because of radiant heat from the sun on the roof) that could degrade the strength of the fabric.
    Not just degrade the strength of fabrics, but degrade any adhesive-based treatment to fabrics (seam sealing, for instance). You could try using a desiccant - such as damprid, or even the "crystal" kitty litter (non clumping) that is in effect silica gel (not a gel as usually conceived; rather, it has the consistency of uncooked rice, which would be another option perhaps). Throw some in an old (but non-holed) sock and put it in with your gear.

At the very least you might want to seal your gear in plastic bags with some desiccant packs (like what you get in a box of shoes or some supplement bottles) before putting them in the totes. Totes are not likely to be airtight. How about those vacuum clothes storage bags? That might work. Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Thinking of storing quilts in a spare bedroom closet, and hammocks tarps etc. In the garage, although not heated it is insulated and should remain fairly cool in the summer compared to the attic space. The hard goods (pots, water bottles, stoves, etc.) in the garage attic. Figuring not much damage can be done to them by the heat.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Thinking of storing quilts in a spare bedroom closet, and hammocks tarps etc. In the garage, although not heated it is insulated and should remain fairly cool in the summer compared to the attic space. The hard goods (pots, water bottles, stoves, etc.) in the garage attic. Figuring not much damage can be done to them by the heat.

This is exactly how I store my gear. Being here in Missouri, the humidity is a huge challenge but haven't had an issue with any of my gear storing it this way.

I keep all of the "soft" stuff like bags, quilts, and pads in closets and under beds in the house. Things that are "semi-soft" like tents, tarps, and packs are in the basement (fairly dry and constant temp). The hard stuff is in the basement or garage or wherever.

I think moisture is a bigger culprit for normal temps. Above say ~90 I would think temp factor for prolonged storage comes on quick. Especially if it cycles hot in the day and cool(er) at night.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Thanks all. I appreciate the information. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use some of this stuff in 2017!

• + New Posts