Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape

Hammock Camping, Filming, Editing and thoughts

So I just got back from a great 3-day, 2-night hammock camping/backpacking trip in the Black Elk Wilderness of the Black Hills in South Dakota. For the past couple of months, really starting on my Adirondack High Peaks trip back in August, I have been building up a youtube channel, taking the camera with me every time I go out. I have to say I am really enjoying taking all of you along, talking with you while I'm out hanging, and then getting comments back.

I have been amazed at how much time is necessary to properly edit a video. I've been learning the tricks as I go along, I've also learned from watching myself the annoying things I do, the wording I use way too much, and where pauses should and shouldn't be. I've used those lessons to help make each successive video better...well, that's the intent anyway. It's also been great watching others like Shug, Fronkey, Frozen and Rob. Learning some of their tricks. Getting some mentoring from Shug. It's all welcome and helping me refine what I'm doing.

So they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You don't know how many times I've been filming water boil (because none of us can get enough watching water boil videos), and I've caught myself wanting to say, in my best Carl voice, "mmm, that a nice boil right there, mmm hmm." So my question is, how many of you out there also find yourself doing this while watching your water boil? hahaha!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I'm still perfecting my Sam Elliot voice... . I'd suggest you take a look at Kurt Papke's videos as well. He's a really knowledgeable guy and willing to share what he has learned. Here is a link to one of his "How too" series...

https://youtu.be/tfmnYncdBlc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I was "Channeling my inner Carl" before I ever saw the Shug videos. If you haven't seen Slingblade STOP right now and go watch it!

I too try to dabble with filming and sharing our adventures. It's really more for us than anyone else, but I do post them and enjoy talking about them to those interested. Editing is sort of tedious and I don't particularly enjoy it, and you can probably tell that by watching.

If you haven't heard Shug's interview on the HYOH Podcast he gives some really good advice there as well, regarding his philosophy on his videos.

HYHO, EYOV (edit your own videos) and have fun!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I was "Channeling my inner Carl" before I ever saw the Shug videos. If you haven't seen Slingblade STOP right now and go watch it!

I too try to dabble with filming and sharing our adventures. It's really more for us than anyone else, but I do post them and enjoy talking about them to those interested. Editing is sort of tedious and I don't particularly enjoy it, and you can probably tell that by watching.

If you haven't heard Shug's interview on the HYOH Podcast he gives some really good advice there as well, regarding his philosophy on his videos.

HYHO, EYOV (edit your own videos) and have fun!
    Oh yeah, I've seen Slingblade.

I'll have to check out the HYOH episode you are referring to. We've been messaging back and forth and he's given some great advice. It's all about experience, I have it in the woods, but not so much on the camera!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backpkrmn View Post
    So they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You don't know how many times I've been filming water boil (because none of us can get enough watching water boil videos), and I've caught myself wanting to say, in my best Carl voice, "mmm, that a nice boil right there, mmm hmm." So my question is, how many of you out there also find yourself doing this while watching your water boil? hahaha!
    Although I haven't done any filming of such things, I still find myself repeating said dialogue while boiling water. More often though, the infamous exclamation "whoooo buddy!" comes out of my mouth more than anything while I'm out on the trail. Some things cannot be helped.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I find myself trilling 'breakfast' in the morning, even if it isn't in the hammock.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I find myself trilling 'breakfast' in the morning, even if it isn't in the hammock.
    I had to google "trilling"... is this the right def.? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trilling
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Hahaha, we're all guilty of it! That Shug guy, he's a clown. No, seriously, he's a clown.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I had to google "trilling"... is this the right def.? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trilling
    Ha - That is a pretty funny definition there.

Here's what I had in mind, though a Shug video would be better.

https://youtu.be/NseuUAfY6ME

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast