Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Question How Do You Manage Shell Differential on Down Quilt Baffles?

For the record, despite having made nearly a dozen synthetic quilts to date, building a down top quilt still scares me...

That said, I am thinking about taking the plunge and trying a down quilt build, so I am starting be doing a lot of research.

I'm pretty handy with the mathematics, so I'm happy with the design I've come up with and satisfied with my calculated plan for a rectangular quilt with 14 horizontal box-wall baffles.

While it is possible using box-wall baffles to cut the inner and outer shells of the quilt so that they are of the same dimensions and still get reasonable thermal performance in a quilt with an outer shell that is essentially flat, most quilt designs I see -- including the one I have chosen -- use an outer shell with a larger area -- in my case, with horizontal baffles, equating to a rectangular outer shell that is 8-3/4" longer than the inner shell.

Thus, each horizontal baffle has a cross-sectional profile with a rounded crown, with the center of each baffle 1/2" higher than the baffle wall height, so for each baffle the arc length of the curve in the outer shell material is 5/8" wider than the flat bottom made from the inner shell material.

What's the best method for managing this 5/8" difference between the top and bottom spans of each baffle when sewing the quilt shells together along the long (side) edges? Does one pleat, dart, or fold the ends of each baffle along these lateral seams, or does one simply "massage" the fabric into gathers and "make it work"?

Thanks in advance for help from those with practical experience building this style of down quilt.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-24-2016 at 21:35.

I darted my outer shell to make the lengths equal. Went in about five inches doesn't need to be very far. Remember to do it before it's all sewn together because it quickly becomes a pain trying to manage all the fabric with the limited amount of space to work with.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Tapered darts in between the baffles.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Sweet. That's easy enough. Thanks, guys!

Follow-up question, while those with experience are reading this: can I just roll-hem the outer shell around the inner one along the long sides and secure it with a row or two of stitches, or is there a better method for joining and closing up the shells once they are the same size and everything has been filled?
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-23-2016 at 21:18.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I add darts in line with the baffles and do this for two reasons. First it to take up the difference in length between the inside and outside shells and secondly to taper the ends of the quilt as they do not need to be as wide at the head and foot as they do in the torso. Typically I will reduce the overall width by 3-4" over a 12" dart at the head end and 3-4" over 24" at the foot end. I also use the extra material from the dart to attach the baffles at the ends of the quilt to make the "bathtub" ends. Other details can be found here. Good luck, you can do it!

UG8.jpgUG9.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TPole View Post
    I add darts in line with the baffles and do this for two reasons. First it to take up the difference in length between the inside and outside shells and secondly to taper the ends of the quilt as they do not need to be as wide at the head and foot as they do in the torso. Typically I will reduce the overall width by 3-4" over a 12" dart at the head end and 3-4" over 24" at the foot end. I also use the extra material from the dart to attach the baffles at the ends of the quilt to make the "bathtub" ends. Other details can be found here. Good luck, you can do it!

UG8.jpgUG9.jpg
    Very useful information and link. Much appreciated.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Here are some pictures for 1 way to handle the darts.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...haped-baffles!

This was for an UQ, but technique would be the same.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    So as far as darts are concerned there are basically two ways to dart a quilt:1) cut the inner shell to size and dart the outer to match (giving you a rectangular quilt) or 2) dart both the inner and outer to taper the ends. Depends on what style you want. they both work fine.

The two most basic ways of closing the side of a quilt are either to roll the hem or trim it with grosgrain. Either will work.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Here are some pictures for 1 way to handle the darts...
    Thanks for the link to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    So as far as darts are concerned there are basically two ways to dart a quilt:1) cut the inner shell to size and dart the outer to match (giving you a rectangular quilt) or 2) dart both the inner and outer to taper the ends. Depends on what style you want. they both work fine.

The two most basic ways of closing the side of a quilt are either to roll the hem or trim it with grosgrain. Either will work.
    Thank you, George! Tips from the master himself are very much appreciated.

• + New Posts