SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Bought a used HG 20° under quilt - have a suspension question

Guys,
    I purchase a used HG 20° under quilt and want to make sure I'm using the suspension correctly. I've always hung in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner where it's a simply clip it and forget it but this suspension is different. I'll try to describe my question as best I can. The suspension came with S-Biners on each end. These are attached to the "small" shock cord that goes to the adjustable Linelocs. There's also a larger run of shock cord that the quilt slides back and forth on. Then there are the even smaller cinch cords at each end. These are self explanatory. My main question is, should the larger shock cord that the hammock slide back and forth as well as the smaller shock cord attached to the Linelocs both be int he S-Biner? This was the logical way in my mind that this should work but it doesn't allow you to slide the quilt as the small shock cord in the Linelocs prevents this. Hoe this makes sense. Your guidance is welcomed.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Guys,
    I purchase a used HG 20° under quilt and want to make sure I'm using the suspension correctly. I've always hung in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner where it's a simply clip it and forget it but this suspension is different. I'll try to describe my question as best I can. The suspension came with S-Biners on each end. These are attached to the "small" shock cord that goes to the adjustable Linelocs. There's also a larger run of shock cord that the quilt slides back and forth on. Then there are the even smaller cinch cords at each end. These are self explanatory. My main question is, should the larger shock cord that the hammock slide back and forth as well as the smaller shock cord attached to the Linelocs both be int he S-Biner? This was the logical way in my mind that this should work but it doesn't allow you to slide the quilt as the small shock cord in the Linelocs prevents this. Hoe this makes sense. Your guidance is welcomed.
    Yes, everything runs through the S-Biner. See stormcrow's explanation of the secondary suspension:

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ted+suspension
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Yes, everything runs through the S-Biner. See stormcrow's explanation of the secondary suspension:

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ted+suspension
    Perfect. Thanks SilvrSurfr.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Funny you should post this today. I have a question about that also. I will try and help you and then hijack the thread a little, since I think my question and yours are linked. Silvrsurfr's link sums up the idea behind it. Yes, you lose the back and forth adjustability, but you gain some stability with the secondary suspension (the one in the linelocs). My question involves how these suspensions work on an 11 foot hammock. I used my Phoenix for about a year on my 10 footer, and recently switched. I had it adjusted perfectly on my 10 footer and never messed with it after setting it once. I looked more closely at it after trying it on my new 11. I think I might have to add some shock cord to work on this new hammock. The secondary is let out as much as it can be, and the suspension is super tight. I know it is supposed to lift the hammock when empty, but this is way more tight than it was on my 10. When I lay in my 11, the cordlock is pulled so high that it comes in towards me and presses on my shoulder/head. It seems like it is going to break and is uncomfortable. If I turn my head to the left, I get a cordlock in the temple. I looked at the suspension. It turns out that there is some slack in the primary suspension that I wasn't using, since the secondary was maxed out. I am using Dutch Quilt hangers. I unhooked the secondary suspension, and plan on using just the primary. I think the slack will give a little extra room and make it fit better. I don't see how I can use the secondary, unless I add a loop of shock cord to the quilt hanger and connect it to the secondary with an s biner or something. Has anyone else run into this? I can't be the only one who switched a Phoenix to a longer hammock. Thanks. (Hoped this helps you, too Trailslug. Sorry for the semi-hijack)
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    If I turn my head to the left, I get a cordlock in the temple. I looked at the suspension. It turns out that there is some slack in the primary suspension that I wasn't using, since the secondary was maxed out.
    That almost sounds normal to me. I use a 10 and 10.5' hammock. I've even tied a knot in the primary suspension in all my Incubators to shorten it by about 2". I don't like relying on the secondary suspension to "shorten" or "lengthen" the setup...only for a final adjustment. On a 11', maybe it is too tight, but I'd try it out overnight on an actual trip to see what you think. You can always add a couple inches of shock cord.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That almost sounds normal to me. I use a 10 and 10.5' hammock. I've even tied a knot in the primary suspension in all my Incubators to shorten it by about 2". I don't like relying on the secondary suspension to "shorten" or "lengthen" the setup...only for a final adjustment. On a 11', maybe it is too tight, but I'd try it out overnight on an actual trip to see what you think. You can always add a couple inches of shock cord.
    Good idea. I can bring a couple of small shock cord loops with me. Easy enough to add on the fly if needed. It just seemed odd that the secondary was let out as much as it could be with my 10' and has no extra to be let out for the 11.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Good idea. I can bring a couple of small shock cord loops with me. Easy enough to add on the fly if needed. It just seemed odd that the secondary was let out as much as it could be with my 10' and has no extra to be let out for the 11.
    I was just wondering about this yesterday - what length do manufacturers actually design them for? I'm guessing they always designed and testing them on 10-footers years ago, and just kept it that way?

• + New Posts