Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    The question was not specific to Blackbirds. I have a Blackbird, aquired it this summer, but I will be selling it, need a lefty. Plus I have grown to HATE being enclosed.
    Yes, netting holds in heat, found that with my Hennessy, my first hammock (after my ENO). Hot summer night, sticky, almost no air movement, icky. That was.my dirst inkling maybe I might have a claustrophobic problem. Now I know I am claustrophobic, bridge hammock, prefer no net. I am able to use a sock if it is light colored has net over my head and doors. My two door Spindrift is almost okay, I will be altering it soon.
    I like to feel the atmosphere, I like the to feel the changes the subtle little changes, smell, humidity that are constantly happening. Being encapsulated deprives me of too many of the things I love about our forests.
    I am not a fan of bug bites, I do reluctantly use pyrethium. I only use nets in heavy bug infested areas. In winter no nets.
    My STUFF stays in my hammock because I tether it to my hammock, took me awhile and frustration to learn to attatch TQ, H2O, book and lights to my hammock. One great factor of my RR, the saddle.bags do what they should keep my junk reachable no matter how many trips in and out.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I have really grown to hate nets, and this from someone who started with a WBBB. If it's cool enough for me to be in my top quilt, the net stays at home. I'll wear a head net to bed if it's borderline temps.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I use my bug net year round. I love the coziness of being under the net.

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I only use my WBBB XLC with bugnet during bug season. I use my WB Traveler XL all other times. I just prefer being in the open, also the bugnet collects condensation in the colder temps.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use a bugnet only when I need it (about three months out of the year). For me, a bugnet is for bugs, and not for heat retention.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    The net holds a *little* heat but not enough to be worth keeping it on. Honestly, I notice the heat retention more in the summer when I want to be cool, but don't want to take it off and let the bugs in.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    1.1 Dbl DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil 1.1
    Insulation
    Diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoops&Dutch Bling
    Images
    I remove my net every chance I get.

Hammock
    Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    theBlueStone 10x10
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    Suspension
    Micro Straps
    No bugs = no net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    The net holds a *little* heat but not enough to be worth keeping it on. Honestly, I notice the heat retention more in the summer when I want to be cool, but don't want to take it off and let the bugs in.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    This comment, along with this entire thread, illustrates my love/hate relationship with bugnets. When you need it most (July), it blocks the cool breeze. As a result, I set up my net (Fronkey style, on a Dutch netless hammock) only when absolutely necessary. In borderline cases, I rely on permethrin (aka, "better living through chemistry"), and sometimes a headnet. I love the openness of a netless hammock, even at the cost of a couple bites.

When I switched to a netless hammock, I did struggle at first with stuff falling out. With practice, that is less of an issue. My EE topquilt has a couple feet of shockcord at the foot end, which I tie to the hammock ridgeline. The front end of the quilt may still flop out a bit, but it won't go far. I have experimented with a similar tieout for my inflatable pillow, but have yet to make that work well. Small stuff goes in ridgeline storage bags and/or peak bags (2QZQ makes some nice ones).

I have this vague idea that an expert in fluid mechanics (certainly not myself) could design a bugnet that doesn't block as much air movement by promoting laminar rather than turbulent airflow....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG 12' Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Sniveler/MtW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie cushions
    I removed the bug net because the bugs were gone, but ended up with a bunch of leaves and other tree debris in the hammock. Bird poop could be a potential issue, but I haven't been bombed yet. So, I only go netless when my tarp is up or most of the leaves have fallen. If it is <30F, I use the top cover.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast