Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I posted the info below over in the Amok thread and thought it might be of interest to you folks too: The video mentioned was a link to a youtube by Jonas of Amok experimenting with ten pads by different vendors:

I have been sleeping nightly in my hammocktent Gamma UL and lately a Exped Ergo. After several years using Exped Synmats and Downmats I tried a Thermarest Xtherm MAX L last night which isn't in the videos (in fact the only horizontal tube pad was the NEMO). The Expeds work very well, as noted by Jonas. The main reasons I wanted to try the Xtherm MAX was because of the stellar reviews (by ground dwellers), the light weight, how packable they are, the horizontal tubes versus the vertical tubes, and a good resale value if it doesn't work out. My line of thinking is that in a pad pocket the horizontal tubes would provide a flatter surface versus how a vertical tube pad wraps around your body.

I considered the night a success and it seemed the Xtherm did provide a flatter plane horizontally which equates to great side sleeping and less chance of squeeze from vertical tubes. Albeit, I have not had any squeeze (shoulder) unpleasantness except in my WBRR which has since been passed along for others to enjoy. Another observation is the horizontal pads are a great deal more difficult to insert because they can't be readily folded and stuffed. The work around I came up with is to partially inflate the pad, insert it, and do the final inflation to desired firmness once the pad is inside the hammock pad. I definitely plan on giving the Xtherm MAX more experimentation...beginning in an hour or so.

I also had the opportunity to try out a Thermarest Xtherm mummy L when the seller sent me the Xtherm mummy shape instead of the MAX rectangular pad. I did not consider it a good pad to use and ranks way down right next to a Sea to Summit Comfort Light pad of similar shape. The L mummy pads do not provide a good sleeping experience for me, at all

I'm just praying that they'll be making an XLite maxx as well!

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I posted the info below over in the Amok thread and thought it might be of interest to you folks too: The video mentioned was a link to a youtube by Jonas of Amok experimenting with ten pads by different vendors:

I have been sleeping nightly in my hammocktent Gamma UL and lately a Exped Ergo. After several years using Exped Synmats and Downmats I tried a Thermarest Xtherm MAX L last night which isn't in the videos (in fact the only horizontal tube pad was the NEMO). The Expeds work very well, as noted by Jonas. The main reasons I wanted to try the Xtherm MAX was because of the stellar reviews (by ground dwellers), the light weight, how packable they are, the horizontal tubes versus the vertical tubes, and a good resale value if it doesn't work out. My line of thinking is that in a pad pocket the horizontal tubes would provide a flatter surface versus how a vertical tube pad wraps around your body.

I considered the night a success and it seemed the Xtherm did provide a flatter plane horizontally which equates to great side sleeping and less chance of squeeze from vertical tubes. Albeit, I have not had any squeeze (shoulder) unpleasantness except in my WBRR which has since been passed along for others to enjoy. Another observation is the horizontal pads are a great deal more difficult to insert because they can't be readily folded and stuffed. The work around I came up with is to partially inflate the pad, insert it, and do the final inflation to desired firmness once the pad is inside the hammock pad. I definitely plan on giving the Xtherm MAX more experimentation...beginning in an hour or so.

I also had the opportunity to try out a Thermarest Xtherm mummy L when the seller sent me the Xtherm mummy shape instead of the MAX rectangular pad. I did not consider it a good pad to use and ranks way down right next to a Sea to Summit Comfort Light pad of similar shape. The L mummy pads do not provide a good sleeping experience for me, at all
    Does it have the signature Thermarest crinkle?

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Does it have the signature Thermarest crinkle?
    I just walked over and gave it some squeezes, and yes it does have the infamous TR crinkle. However, I certainly didn't notice any crinkle during the nights I've used it. Albeit, the pad pocket in the Ergo is roomier than the Gamma UL and it is possible there is less contact, hence crinkle, with the Ergo. I will give it a go in the Gamma UL tomorrow night and report back.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    As promised I spent last night in the Gamma UL with the TR Xtherm MAX to assess the crinkle. Findings: it crinkles when you enter the hammock; There is some crinkle when changing positions, but not as much as I expected; there is absolutely no crinkle heard when you are asleep or not moving

And as I expected the horizontal tubes make for a flatter plane to lay on that the vertical tube pads I have previously used. The horizontal tubes also readily fold under when entering or exiting the hammock. The warmth is definitely noticeable. The horizontal tubes also make stuffing the pad more challenging than the vertical tubes, as anticipated. The pad is almost too long and spans the entire length of the pad pocket. Sure wish they made a MW Xtherm MAX that would save some ounces and be long enough for me. I definitely will be comparing this pad some more. Tonight it is back to sleeping in the Ergo, but it was sure nice to be back sleeping in my old familiar friend for last night.

I love exped for its MW sizes, yet the lifetime warranty of thermarest is too tempting. You could shorten the pad, there are tutorials out there.

Which tube orientation would you recommend without the pad sleeve, laying the pad only on the hammock in a Delta?

I guess it's crinkling less than on ground as the hammock sleeve puts it under more tension, make sense.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by hang-loose View Post
    I love exped for its MW sizes, yet the lifetime warranty of thermarest is too tempting. You could shorten the pad, there are tutorials out there.

Which tube orientation would you recommend without the pad sleeve, laying the pad only on the hammock in a Delta?

I guess it's crinkling less than on ground as the hammock sleeve puts it under more tension, make sense.
    Thanks for the suggestion on shortening the TR, but it sort of makes me clench up just thinking about modding an expensive TR. I'll have to google that idea to see what folks are doing.

I haven't tried the TR on top. I will have to give both the TR and Exped a try out for comparison. I have used an Exped on top a Gamma UL and on top with a down IQ in the pad pocket for maximum insulation. I regularly use an Exped in my DH Raven single layer and I think how the tubes curl up around your body is an asset. In order to achieve the proper diagonal, I simply grab the hammock with my hands and scooch the pad into the proper diagonal with my legs and feet.

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    I recently purchased a Exped Downmat 9. Awesome pad, but it may be at the limit - size wise- for what will fit in the pad sleeve. I have also been experimenting with using a lightly inflated Klymit Static V hammock pad on top, primarily for the extra coverage in the arm and leg areas. So far so good and I haven't experienced any cold spots

Evan
    Check out our Youtube page for some fun hammock videos https://www.youtube.com/c/LloydLiving

Hi guys,

Anyone has one of the models that can be used as a bivy on ground? Could you show us a picture of how the loops for the stakes/wire are sewn onto the corners?
    I have one without and would like to attach some loops for a ground option.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by hang-loose; 07-28-2018 at 19:10.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    None of my 90s hammocks have loops for stakes. I'm assuming a buffet is another word for bivy, and lot is a loop? If you are referring to the CF tarp that Luke shows setting up on the ground, the corners and ridge all have LINELOCs with cords.

• + New Posts
  • Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast