Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    The idea isn't to hold it to a banana shape, the idea is to hold it at the CORRECT shape that is comfortable for you. It's only purpose is to maintain lay-consistency from hang to hang. Of course, people hang things from it too, but if your lay is based on your ridgeline, then theoretically you screw that up by hanging stuff off of it unless that's built into your calibration. as a practical matter as long as the added weight is small it's not going to affect your hang very much.

I set up a separate line to hang things from. Back when I first started I did use a ridgeline, And my whole suspension system was inter-connected. I used one suspension with a ridgeline, and my tarp shared that ridgeline. This was very effective, saved on weight and such, BUT it required a much more exact setup. There was no room mess with hangles because the tarp was dependent on that distance always being the same, and when the tarp stretched out I needed to adjust the ridgeline higher to accommodate it, which changed all of the other angles, and hanging things from the ridgeline proved to be a big mistake... It was fine until that week of rain. Water ran down my ridgeline and dripped from the lowest point— which was where I hung a small light, just over my middle. Because the rain started in the night, I didn't realize water was coming in until morning because drip after drip, my sleeping bag had slowly become soaked while I slept.

This was when I learned that I would stay dry inside the bag, that even though the rest of the bag was soaked, the moisture would be held back by body heat or something, because I WAS dry.

It wasn't until years later that I realized this could be prevented by only letting a short length of ridgeline be exposed to the rain. More exposed line means more volume of water, and the steeper the angle of the line, the more flow that volume has.

Needless to say, I didn't hang things from my ridgeline after that, and there's a similar issue with hanging things from your suspension. You can add driplines to mitigate that, and I also use that concept, but I've had water surprise me by getting around them in unexpected ways too. It's all a learning experience.

In any case, this is why I evolved from a minimal weight, minimal coverage system, to a maximum coverage, not-so-integrated system. I can raise our lower my tarp as needed, I can adjust my hang as needed (sometimes I need to fuss with it, but mostly I get it right the first try)

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

In addition, you hammock length also effects all of these factors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123