SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been looking forward to this trip report and as usual, you didn't disappoint buddy. Great pics and nice write up!

Oh and Don, GREAT video! I always enjoy seeing pics of you and Thomas' adventures. Nicely done dad!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Looked like a great time, Thanks for taking us along
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks Dave...I always enjoy your posts. I love the photos...please never switch to video (although I know you would have no problem there!)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great trip report. Wished I had the time do to a trip like this. I will keep wishing!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Looks like y'all had a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by JHarbin View Post
    That looks great, I'll definitely have to make a trip like that a priority next year.
    You can't go wrong checking out the North Country Trail website and lay out a hike in Michigan. This year I did 170 miles on it and last year I did at least a 100. If you like a great walk in the woods and plenty of solitude, it does the trick. We've got the Gluttony Hang coming up the first weekend of November. Come on up and enjoy some campfire time!

Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    It was a great trip, that pushed me over the 100 mark. Blessed with good weather, good friends and a good son (usually).
    My YouTube slideshow of the trip which mostly contains the same photos as above: https://youtu.be/_PFsc2kD4nc
    Very true. Thank you for making this another awesome adventure in the woods of northern Michigan. Great memories of early morning coffee and Two Hearted Ale for dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyton3 View Post
    Beautiful scenery! Looks like a great trip with good company, overall a really nice trip.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Majortom View Post
    Hi Michigan Dave. Great trip report and pictures. Congrats on earning your patch. When I left Muskallunge on the NCT there was a lot of blow downs to climb over. I also climbed up and down the bluff when the trail eroded off the cliff. I was getting very frustrated with trying to find the trail and the bush whacking cut my legs and arms. Also lost my sunglasses throughout this ordeal. Doesn't sound like there has been any trail maintenance to restore this section. Nancy
    It was great meeting you and your husband at the Jones Hang. Thank you for your intel on the trail conditions...you were spot on. But, you couldn't beat the view of Lake Superior!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    I've been looking forward to this trip report and as usual, you didn't disappoint buddy. Great pics and nice write up!
    Oh and Don, GREAT video! I always enjoy seeing pics of you and Thomas' adventures. Nicely done dad!
    Thank you. Hope it gives you some more motivation for some trail time on the NCT!

Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Looked like a great time, Thanks for taking us along
    TZ, it's always a pleasure sharing our adventures for anyone who wants to enjoy some time on the NCT. Hope to see you at the Gluttony Hang in November.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Thanks Dave...I always enjoy your posts. I love the photos...please never switch to video (although I know you would have no problem there!)
    What? No video? I'm like the cobbler whose kids don't have any shoes. I'm in the video/production field and the last thing I really want to do is worry about shooting trip video and dealing with putting it all together. Meanwhile, my $50 Canon powershot 16mp camera suits me fine for the moment....

Quote Originally Posted by nimbus37 View Post
    Great trip report. Wished I had the time do to a trip like this. I will keep wishing!
    You'll get up there eventually. Come on up to the Gluttony Hang in November...It's always fun talking about the NCT with you and thanks again for the intel!

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Looks like y'all had a great trip! Thanks for sharing!
    It was a nice way to wrap up the summer hiking season. Now, I'm getting psyched up for winter camping! Bring on the snow!

A couple things I forgot to add on the original trip report: Got to test out some new gear on this one: BRS titanium mini gas stove (worked great and was super light), HG 11' CF tarp with doors (absolutely love it)

Foot care: On my last couple trips when I did big miles (15+ days 3-5 days), my feet would rebel in my Merrell hikers and I'd end up with hot spots and blisters. They were a wreck and I'll spare you the photo. After my last trip in July, I got in the habit of taking care of my feet better. I'd use my wife's portable foot bath with warm water and soap, used foot lotion (hers) and started using a foot file to smooth everything out. I also switched from the standard hard Merrell insoles and bought some $3 Scholls foam insoles. The result after this trip: no blisters and my feet felt great for the first time after a trip. It wasn't the most "manly" way to take care of them, but it worked.

That is all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12