DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

WY>Wind River Range> June-Sept need 50 mile trip help

After 50 miles one the Georgia AT in May and just getting back from the Pemi Loop in New Hampshire (trip report coming soon) I am making plans for next summer.

I don't know much about the Winds other than they look awesome on photos. I've heard of Cirque of the Towers, Titcomb Basin, and Square Top and know they are on opposite sides of the range.

Anyone have a good 40-50 mile route for 4-5days?
    Loop or point to point doesn't matter to me, I'll figure out the logistics. Tall mountains to summit that don't need ropes is a plus. Not opposed to hike to a base camp and day hike to different points either. Depending on

Titcomb basin looks amazing. Cirque of the Towers also. Can these be seen on one trip.

If my son comes trip will most likely take place in late June. Way too early for the winds? If he doesn't come trip will most likely be late August.

Many questions and I appreciate help in advance. I have some maps and just need help going in the right directions.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Yes, way too early for the Wind River Range. The best time to go, to beat bugs and not worry too much about snow is late July to the first week of September. I would also recommend nothing less than 20* sleeping gear. I have seen it get to 25* in the middle of August at 9,000ft over night...froze a water filter.

I haven't hiked the winds yet, although a few of us over at WhiteBlaze are contemplating a trip next summer. This is one possibility:
    https://thebigoutside.com/ask-me-wha...d-river-range/

You could also plan to do the WRR section of the Continental Divide Trail.

I would suggest basing out of Dubois or Pinedale WY for the Wind River Range...small and quaint with a lot of western charm, but big enough to supply in without the crowds and tourists of Jackson and Yellowstone/Teton.

You also may be interested in the 55+ mile Solitude Loop Trail in the Bighorn Mountains, just across the basin from the Winds, and Cloud Peak (the hightest peak in the range) is a fairly easy-to-summit peak: https://idlewildandpawprints.wordpre...de-loop-trail/

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Most likely late August. Fly into Denver and drive to Pinedale. Thinking Titcomb basin looks nice to explore. I would love to see the Cirque of the Towers but not sure how much hiking time we will have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Netty Hammeck
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 uq
    Suspension
    straps & rings
    Images
    Here's my trip report from the Winds that my friend and I took last year. It's spectacular out there. We didn't do the mileage you're looking for, however it wouldn't be too hard to pull of if you're willing to do a little backtracking. Basically follow the route we did, then coming down from Texas pass, you could hit the end of that valley and take a right and do another big loop with some spectacular stuff, then come back out. Lot's of options in that area.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ers-Texas-Pass

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ScooterB View Post
    Here's my trip report from the Winds that my friend and I took last year. It's spectacular out there. We didn't do the mileage you're looking for, however it wouldn't be too hard to pull of if you're willing to do a little backtracking. Basically follow the route we did, then coming down from Texas pass, you could hit the end of that valley and take a right and do another big loop with some spectacular stuff, then come back out. Lot's of options in that area.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ers-Texas-Pass
    I've read that already. One of the reasons for wanting to make this trip.

Looking over that route now.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ScooterB View Post
    [/URL]
    Did you do any off trail trips up peaks? I'm trying to figure out what peaks are climbable without ropes in the Cirque area. Most look like you need technical gear.

Anything a hike up? Don't mind rock scrambles or exposure just nothing we will need belaying on.

• + New Posts