Advice for hosting a hammock hang

This is for all those who are currently or in the past have played the role of host. I'm looking for advice. How do you generate buzz to get people to sign up? I see some hangs that are just starting, getting 20-30 people signing up right away while others getting just a handful. Is it just a matter of location, locations, location? How many participants is considered a success?

For the participants, what do you look for in a hang? Demos? Raffles? Group meals?

For the vendors, how do you feel about request for raffles or sponsorships?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Having people you regularly hang with helps. They help create the buzz. The next includes location, time of year, some type of theme or plan such as a raffle, planned food, etc. also having a "first annual" or especially if it has been held for several years, people tend to want to join you.

Many times we just post up and invite anyone to join. Other times we plan it out and create a spreadsheet to formalize the event.

And by the way, feel free to join us at the First Annual Loco Libre Hang in November. See the trip planning thread.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...Batona-Camp-NJ

(See what I just did there?)

Good luck!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    1. Pick a date. Nothing worse than "Anybody up for a DC area hang?" thread.
    2. Pick a location. See above. Njredneck often organizes hangs in our area and he's also a Scout leader, so he knows how to organize a group event. He doesn't leave much open to discussion: I'm going here on this date, and if you want to come, here's the info.
    3. Figure out how many participants can hang at the location, and make sure that you notify people when the max is approaching.
    4. I'm personally inclined to have shared menus with shared costs. Make it as brainless as possible for people. Here's the menu; here's the cost. Hope to see you there!
    5. I don't personally think that you can generate buzz - either people are available and interested, or they aren't.
    6. Here in Jersey, most of our hangs are no more than 30 people, though the NJ Winter Hang has been up to 70 people. The NJ Winter Hang is a somewhat disorganized event, usually with some kind of "best dish" contest, and a raffle. Sometimes we solicit vendors for raffle prizes; usually we don't (too much like work). About the only cost we share at the NJ Winter Hang is the site fees.
    7. I'm not especially keen on organized demos, but some people like a hammock tour, splicing clinic, etc. and so on.
    8. Make sure you know if there are any competing group hangs on the weekend in question. For example, booking a competing group hang on Fall MAHHA weekend just wouldn't be wise (though it's been done!).
    8. If there are reservation fees, make sure you know what they are, and how popular the hang site may be. If you need folks to reserve sites, give them enough time to do so before the sites are gone.

As The Tree Frog mentioned, georgecarr is organizing his first group hang at the start of November, and I think he's done it right. There's a sign-up sheet, he's providing Saturday breakfast and Saturday dinner, and he's providing stuff to be raffled off (and anything else people want to put in the raffle). George has kept it simple and mindless for the participants, and so far 22 have signed up. We've reserved enough sites (eight) to theoretically accommodate 57 people, but I'd guess we'll probably have 30 to 40 people.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One area we've definitely gotten burned on is site reservations. Noobs especially want to have a guaranteed reservation and don't understand the concept of group hangs. They'll start reserving sites and the next thing you know you have hundreds of dollars in site reservation fees. We had one group hang where a member reserved two sites (at $40 a night, as I recall) that didn't even get used. An affordable group hang should be $30 or less per person including reservation fees and food, but noobs can run that number up quickly.

If people want to bring food for which they will not be reimbursed, that's just fine. However, you have to let them know that you don't need $25 pies or cakes. Wanna bring live lobster to the hang? All good, as long as you're not expecting reimbursement (lobster can kill a budget).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have not organized a Hang, however I have organized other events. It seems to work the best just to set a time and place. Let interested hangers know the plan. Maybe here in Oregon we are not into a lot of organization. Schedules change, situations change, so trying to get a realistic head count is almost impossible.
    Raffles for gear, very popular however I suspect many of the vendors are becoming weary of groups looking for free gear.
    Supplying food in my opinion is iffy. Liability is involved if anyone becomes ill. Some groupslike communal meals. Everyone brings a item to be shared with the group sometimes works well.
    Make sure you have room for you group, including some tents. Some areas limit the number of people and or vehicles, so that is a consideration. How many kids? Make some plan to entertain the little ones.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Find a potential site and survey it to find out how many potential places there are for hammocks to hang to get an idea of the capacity.

Are there restroom facilities ( women are more likely to attend if there are decent restrooms ) ? Are there there shower facilities ?

Ease of access....do you park next to site or do you have to backpack in ?

Drinking water or access to water that can be treated ?

Cost of site....

Pick a date....there is never a perfect date....there will always be something that conflicts.

Set up a sign up sheet on google drive

Post a thread on the forum

At the hangs I have held...we have had as few a 12 and close to 40 hangers show up.

Most folks welcome doing group meals
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    This is for all those who are currently or in the past have played the role of host. I'm looking for advice. How do you generate buzz to get people to sign up? I see some hangs that are just starting, getting 20-30 people signing up right away while others getting just a handful. Is it just a matter of location, locations, location? How many participants is considered a success?

For the participants, what do you look for in a hang? Demos? Raffles? Group meals?

For the vendors, how do you feel about request for raffles or sponsorships?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    First thing you have to remember is you can't do it alone. I approached folks I had met at prior hangs, and they have all stepped up in force. That is HUGE. It doesn't hurt that my hang is a vendor sponsored hang, but that isn't as important as networking and just getting the word out. Like SS said, pick someplace, and set a date. If you build it, they will come. A hang where the whole tab is paid isn't necessary (doesn't hurt), and many hangs are potluck. Only you can decide if your hang was successful. If you can build an event that people would come back to and they do, that's a success.

A raffle won't be your primary draw - most folks are coming to hang and hang out. It probably wouldn't be worth doing a raffle if you only had a small handful of people. That would be more like a swap meet.

From a vendors perspective, I know I get inundated with with raffle prize requests. I'm more likely to donate to a hang with a track record, and I base what I send on 1) how busy I am, 2)how big is the hang, and 3)past experience with that hang. Also, do I have a relationship with the person requesting for the hang. During the hang season a small vendor can easily ship out thousands of dollars in raffle prizes, and I shudder to think what the big guys are donating.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    1. List ALL the important info on the original thread posting. It sucks when vital information gets buried within the thread. Personally, I type things out in a word document first & then copy it over. This way I can save my info as I plan and post when I'm ready.

2. Use Google documents to help organize. I do this if there's only 4 people coming or 20. When you upload a document, make sure you switch the settings so it is public and everyone can edit. Here's a link to the Michigan Chili Hang for an example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...tA8/edit#gid=0 You can use multiple tabs for different planning aspects.

3. I've never taken into account if a hang is "successful" based on numbers. There's a hang coming up at the end of September in Northern Wisconsin where 3 or 4 people are backpack hammocking. For those 3 to 4 people, it will be great!

4. Things we've done at group hangs: (almost always) organized potluck dinners (if not all meals), day hikes, swimming, local trail improvement (cutting trees, removing brush, etc), taking naps, playing games (thought an organized card tournament would be fun) , hanging out & talking - getting to know each other.

5. Have a designated picture taker. Sure, everyone will take pictures, but have one person who takes the lead. My favorite pictures are getting the person to pose in front of their set up, group pictures, and pictures of the site (so I can remember if it's a good location for next year and to help give others a sense of what to expect)

6. Let people know they can come if they don't have all the gear and start to connect people to those who might have a spare gear.

7. Invite people personally. If someone posts on the thread they are a maybe, private message them and make a connection. Ask why they are a maybe & how you could help get them to be a yes. Also, you can copy the profile names of those in your state on the member dispersal page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?hl=en#gid=0 You can only private message up to 20 people, so you might need to send out multiple copies of the same message to reach all the people in your state.

8. Remember, organizing a hang isn't a competition to see who can have the most people. Generating "buzz" or getting 30 people to sign up right away isn't the goal. Getting people outdoors and enjoying nature is. Learning new skills, meeting people, & having fun are how I would define a successful hang.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

• + New Posts