Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Question Tie-Out Options - cord attached to tarp, attached to stakes or ??

Newb getting ready for 1st trip w/ Kelty Noah 12. Evaluating options on the tie-out points (ridgeline I'm good). Cord attached to tarp permanently or cord attached to stakes.. weighing the plus / minus of each. I have a few dutch options that I'm evaluating before getting hardware to use all around. Going to use zing-it. The flat aluminum tensioners I used on heavier line appears to hold w/ zing it. I see some use the Nite-ize fig-9's. I've got a few Tarp Fleez, worms from Dutch.

So, right now I'm not sure which direction I want to go.. to have cord attached to the tarp and deal with unused points or rig up a bunch of stakes w/ cord and attach (quick attach) to tarp at needed points.

What are other tarp users in general using, what do you like and specifically Noah 12 owners as this is a heavier tarp than most.

I had Simply Light make me a snake skin to fit this larger tarp and it turned out nice, so that's a factor too... i.e. dealing w/ cordage installing the skin.

Open ended question, I know.. let me know what you like... and do realize it's a bit like a Coke / Pepsi question... everyone has their system they like.. so just trying to start a thread to capture some of those options / pictures.

Here's a shot of the flat adjuster's I've used for 2+mm cord that appears to hold on the 1.7mm zing-it... they're cheap and light as well... with the open "c" end I leave them attached to cord with a termination knot that catches the adjuster... one option... looking for others.

Guyline adjuster flat.jpg

Thank You,
    Last edited by Us5Camp; 09-08-2016 at 10:20.

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Newb getting ready for 1st trip w/ Kelty Noah 12. Evaluating options on the tie-out points (ridgeline I'm good). Cord attached to tarp permanently or cord attached to stakes.. weighing the plus / minus of each. I have a few dutch options that I'm evaluating before getting hardware to use all around. Going to use zing-it. The flat aluminum tensioners I used on heavier line appears to hold w/ zing it. I see some use the Nite-ize fig-9's. I've got a few Tarp Fleez, worms from Dutch.

So, right now I'm not sure which direction I want to go.. to have cord attached to the tarp and deal with unused points or rig up a bunch of stakes w/ cord and attach (quick attach) to tarp at needed points.

What are other tarp users in general using, what do you like and specifically Noah 12 owners as this is a heavier tarp than most.

I had Simply Light make me a snake skin to fit this larger tarp and it turned out nice, so that's a factor too... i.e. dealing w/ cordage installing the skin.

Open ended question, I know.. let me know what you like... and do realize it's a bit like a Coke / Pepsi question... everyone has their system they like.. so just trying to start a thread to capture some of those options / pictures.

Thank You,
    I've got 4 = 4' lengths of Lawson reflective line connected to lineloc 3's which are then larks headed to the Tarp. I also carry 2 = 6' lengths for porch mode. And am looking at Zack setup to close the doors. And a variation of the Dutch CRL.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I use fully detachable 6' guylines with a bowline hitch for tarp and marlin spike hitch on stakes. Non slippery 1.8mm cord...

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Beetles
    Here's how I skin my cat, er, handle tie-outs.

My tie-outs have 3 components.
    - 1.75mm Lash-It continuous loop
    - 2.2mm Zing-It dog bone (6', yellow for "porch" side and 4', red for the opposite).
    - 6" notched aluminum triangular tent stake (w/hole in one rib)

I lark's head one end of the dog bone over the top of the stake so that it's cinched under the notch. Sometimes I'll run the dog bone through the hole first, then lark's head it.
    With the continuous loops, I prusik/klemheist them near the opposite end of the dog bone and then lark's head the loop of the prusik/klemheist to my tarp tie out.
    With this setup, I can set my stakes out and then tension the lines up, while under my tarp.
    Undo the lark's head on the tarp tie out, leave the lines attached to the stakes, and shove them all in their storage bag.

I have Dutch tarp Fleaz permanently attached too all of my tieouts with Larks headed shockcord. I then have 4 stakes with Zing it that I leave attached to the stakes. Makes for a really quick deployment. I just wrap the Zing-it around the Vargo Y summit stakes for storage. One of the other advantages to leaving the Zing-it attached to the stakes is that when it comes time to pull them out, you don't even have to bend down...just pull out on the guy line and you're done. I have some loose guy lines for the side pull outs which gives me more options...sometimes I tie off to near by trees or branches and other times I use my trekking poles. But I can highly recommend the Fleaz and permanently attached lines to the stake system for your main tie outs.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Right now I am using line loc 3's attached with webbing to the tarp. I plan on stitching a small pocket inside the edge out of tulle for each guyline. Then with the doors closed I can leave the door lines in the pouch. If I go to thin stuff I can use a small piece of foam to wrap the cord then slide that into the pocket.

I can still use my web loops for knots and not use the line locs.

Using the theory of cordage pushed into a pouch can be pulled out without tangles. Some people use a jar with a small hole in the lid to store cordage.

I would love to see pictures of the setups. Especially the worms.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like people use some complicated systems for guylines! I have 1.75 mm Zing-it larksheaded onto my tarp D-rings. I use a Marlin Spike Hitch (MSH) to connect to the stake. When it's time to pack up, I just undo the MSH, roll the guylines into the tarp, and put the stakes in a bag. Zing-it doesn't (for me) tangle, so I don't do any kind of Figure 8 or have any pockets to stuff the guylines in. I don't use any other hardware - never saw the need.

At group hangs, I always watch people staking out their tarp because it seems to be one area that people can be particularly obsessive/complicated. I've seen people remove the CRL and the guylines, and store it all in a separate baggy. "Why are you removing the ridgeline and guylines?" I ask. I always get some answer I don't understand like, "I like to keep them separate."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    i leave my guy lines attached to the stakes now that i have 3 tarps and never know which one i will bring with me. however i do leave the stingerz w/lash-it on my simplicity sld tarp, and my CRL with wasp is on my DD 4x4. My crap-tastic attempt at a cat cut tarp has nothing left attached to it, haven't thrown it away because it does work even if it is an ugly monster.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* quilts
    Suspension
    beetles
    Ive got tarp worms attached to my tarp and reflective cord that i attach to the stakes and worms. Pretty simple set up that works great for me right now. Dont know that I'll be changing anytime soon.
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sounds like people use some complicated systems for guylines! I have 1.75 mm Zing-it larksheaded onto my tarp D-rings. I use a Marlin Spike Hitch (MSH) to connect to the stake. When it's time to pack up, I just undo the MSH, roll the guylines into the tarp, and put the stakes in a bag. Zing-it doesn't (for me) tangle, so I don't do any kind of Figure 8 or have any pockets to stuff the guylines in. I don't use any other hardware - never saw the need.

At group hangs, I always watch people staking out their tarp because it seems to be one area that people can be particularly obsessive/complicated. I've seen people remove the CRL and the guylines, and store it all in a separate baggy. "Why are you removing the ridgeline and guylines?" I ask. I always get some answer I don't understand like, "I like to keep them separate."
    ^^^how I do mine, too

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast