Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle

Hiking Maryland section of Appalachian Trail--will hanging be an issue?

Has anyone hiked the Maryland section of the AT? Because, next month, a group of us are hiking it. The trip is in honor of Harriet Tubman, a Maryland native that led escaping slaves north through the area on the Underground Railroad. I want to use my hammock on the trip. I've confirmed that hammocks are allowed there, but is hanging feasible--are there viable trees near most of the shelters? I would prefer to hang partly out of it being more comfortable for me and partly because I snore.

Any advice would be appreciated--especially if you can think of anywhere to fish along the way!
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I hiked it about 5 years ago. Had no problem finding trees to hang my hammock. Can't speak to fishing, but don't recall many streams. Lots of history, though.

Be sure to have money for drink vending machines. We found one or two along the trail and were happy to take advantage.

If you want to see photos, I can dig out link to photo album I posted.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob View Post
    Has anyone hiked the Maryland section of the AT? Because, next month, a group of us are hiking it. The trip is in honor of Harriet Tubman, a Maryland native that led escaping slaves north through the area on the Underground Railroad. I want to use my hammock on the trip. I've confirmed that hammocks are allowed there, but is hanging feasible--are there viable trees near most of the shelters? I would prefer to hang partly out of it being more comfortable for me and partly because I snore.

Any advice would be appreciated--especially if you can think of anywhere to fish along the way!
    Maryland is the only state where I've hiked the full length of the AT. I wouldn't worry much about trees for hanging - there's plenty. I think it's deer hunting season next month. I saw some hunters and wished I was wearing orange!

I apparently didn't do a trip report, or at least I can't find it, but I enjoyed the hike. I wasn't looking for fish so can't advise you on that.

I remember we stayed at a campsite (Crampton Gap?) that had hot showers! That's something you don't often see on the AT. There was also a bar/restaurant/hotel about 1/4 mile away where George Washington slept or something. I seem to recall the restaurant wouldn't let us in the main dining room because we were smelly hikers. Anyway, we enjoyed several cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in the bar and had a mighty fine time before retiring to our hammocks and an epic hailstorm.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-06-2016 at 23:52.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Thanks, guys. Really helpful. Your trips sound great! Thought I might have to bring my pad in case i was sleeping on the ground. And I'll make sure to bring some change!
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    No problems finding trees. Only fishing would be along the C&O canal tow path, which the AT follows for about 3+ miles to Harpers Ferry (don't eat them or drink the water, you may start to glow in the dark). Shower place was just after crossing US route 40, south of Washington monument SP. Dahlgren Backpack campground. I believe they also have special hammock sites, but I only took a shower there and kept on hiking. Very nice state to hike through. Mostly "easy" walking, but there are some decent climbs.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    Shower place was just after crossing US route 40, south of Washington monument SP. Dahlgren Backpack campground.
    Dahlgren - that's the name! I couldn't remember the name for the life of me. And the restaurant is The Old South Mountain Inn.

http://oldsouthmountaininn.com

This website has some good info on the trail. We started at Pen Mar.

http://www.hikingupward.com/OMH/MarylandChallenge/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies n' bling
    Plenty of trees for hanging. There might be one or two spots to fish, but not many unless you are willing to leave the trail (probably with a car). We're approaching my favorite time of year to camp, so I'll be headed out to the AT sometime in the next couple of months myself.

I haven't checked the exact dates yet this year, but bow season should be in and early muzzleloader will be mid-end of October. I wouldn't really be concerned, but if you want to be cautious, some orange wouldn't be a bad thing.

If you can, try and time Annapolis Rocks for a sunset - its a great view! One of my pictures from a trip last year:
    Last edited by cpc1027; 09-07-2016 at 19:45.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Dahlgren - that's the name! I couldn't remember the name for the life of me. And the restaurant is The Old South Mountain Inn.
    I took a shower at Dahlgren and ate at The Old South Mountain Inn. Great restaurant. Can't say the same for the shower. LOL
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts