Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't know, but any solution to droopy tarp on a Hennessy that involves shock cord sounds suspect to me. I should not have to use shock cord anywhere in my hammock system - it acts different in cold weather and I want an all-weather system.

Dejoha likes shock cord though, for his "no-sag" Hennessy pictoral:

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...nnessy+hammock
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I know Derek Hanson recently did a review on the typhoon tarp on his Ultimate Hang webpage. Don't think he had any new insights on how to hang it , but I may be mistaken. I only gave it a brief read through and since I wasn't looking to buy one I didn't pay much attention. Can't hurt to check it out. If nothing else there's pictures of the tarp in action.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    What are the differences between Derricks method and separate RL? Other than the extra support of the RL obviously.... I would think that for ease of use and to save time, Derricks way would be better. Same end result no? But I'm new to hanging so my thinking could be flawed. The beauty of being able to ask right? Thanks for the positive responses everyone, makes a new member feel part of the fellowship....hyoh right?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    What are the differences between Derricks method and separate RL? Other than the extra support of the RL obviously.... I would think that for ease of use and to save time, Derricks way would be better. Same end result no? But I'm new to hanging so my thinking could be flawed. The beauty of being able to ask right? Thanks for the positive responses everyone, makes a new member feel part of the fellowship....hyoh right?
    Derrick is one very smart cookie. The difference is that you may not always want the tarp up. Or you may change to a different tarp. The method Derrick mentions relies heavily on the hang angle being spot on and the tarp is generally close in to the hammock. The beauty of the CRL (continuous ridge line) is that it give you more flexibility on tarp height and angles and allows you to still center the tarp over the hammock for maximum coverage. Neither good nor bad, just different. Lots of ways to skin the same cat.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have used several HH's off and on for 8 years. I love leaving the tarp attached to the RL - easiest setup/teardown in the universe.

Learn to tie the HH figure-8 lashing. It's easy, and *always* works regardless of the weather, etc.
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I have used several HH's off and on for 8 years. I love leaving the tarp attached to the RL - easiest setup/teardown in the universe.

Learn to tie the HH figure-8 lashing. It's easy, and *always* works regardless of the weather, etc.
    Kurt is the HH expert - he camped with Shug on those crazy cold Minnesota winters. I studied his earlier posts when deciding on and learning how to use the HH Super Shelter.
    Yes, good advice here. I use the stock ridgeline attachments for the tarp too. The figure 8 is solid and weighs nothing.
    Learn what Tom Hennessey recommends first because he is the designer and true expert. Get some experience then you experiment with the modifications.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 08-27-2016 at 19:34.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    A couple of things:

FORGET 30 Degrees. It is for tension on the trees not how the hammock will hang right. Any hammock with a ridge line needs tension on the ridge line to hang properly. That will be a bit flatter than 30 Deg. Forcing the 30 deg will mess up your hang resulting in a less than optimum lie.

Forget the video. If DH was using a body instead of a bag the shape difference would give significantly different results.

Use the stock suspension for at least a year. It's bulletproof. Then mess around if you want to but avoid getting under the hood. It makes about an ounce difference if you leave the stock line attachment and shorten the line to accommodate buckles or whatever. That significantly reduces the chance you will screw up the hammock body.

As a general practice hang large tarps off their own ridge line. Then they do not sag, go up fast and easy in the rain before the hammock, and generally work better as long as you do not sag so far below the ridge line that your butt hangs out. For small tarps you need the sag with the hammock to keep your butt covered so hang off the hammock suspension and use the shock cord tie outs.

FWIW If you check into the back ground of TH and DH you will find TH is a pretty smart cookie who spent a lot of time working out a system that is basically bullet proof if you follow his directions. DH could hope to get there.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Thanks for all the great input guys. Unfortunately, my HH was scheduled to be here Friday by 8pm BC I used 2 day fed x and never came. They had a problem with the plane and it spent all day Thursday and Friday in Memphis instead of arriving in Philly then on south to me. By yesterday it made its way to the delivery facility and there it sits. The new delivery date is Monday now tho. I informed HH of the issue and even tho its not their problem once its shipped, they are gonna get fedx to refund my $40 next day shipping fee. Talk about awesome customer service! But anyway, thanks again for the good advice, ill be sure to consider all of it when I FINALLY get to tryout my new HH Monday night.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Im finally in my new HH.... Wow. Soooo much better than the Equip i started out with. It seems about the same length but the asym makes a world of difference. I even tryed to mimic the HH side tieouts on the Equip over the weekend, it helped but its not like this. The quality is lightyears better in the HH exped. I did get the Typhoon fly with it and for now i hung it on a sepparate CRL. It was really hot when I got home today and had some time to play around with it so i just put the hammock up the way Hennessy recomends. How tight is my ridgeline supposed to be? Its really tight right now, i hope i hung it properly. I did struggle a little trying to get my Snugpak UQ to fit properly, but it should be ok for the 65* low tonight. Lots of gaps on the sides. I also ordered the Snugpak Enhanced Patrol Poncho/ Poncho Liner combo for $45 on Amazon and it came with a free packable pillow, perfect for the hammock. In really cold temps im gonna try to use both the Snugpak UQ and the Jungle Blanket UQ i made. How are HH's with doubled up UQ's ? I know its not optimal, but untill i get some down, itll have to work bc its what i have. So far im loving the Hennessy. Thanks again for the insight, tips and help guys. When im as knowledgeable ill make sure to pay it forward.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Im finally in my new HH.... Wow. Soooo much better than the Equip i started out with. It seems about the same length but the asym makes a world of difference. I even tryed to mimic the HH side tieouts on the Equip over the weekend, it helped but its not like this. The quality is lightyears better in the HH exped. I did get the Typhoon fly with it and for now i hung it on a sepparate CRL. It was really hot when I got home today and had some time to play around with it so i just put the hammock up the way Hennessy recomends. How tight is my ridgeline supposed to be? Its really tight right now, i hope i hung it properly. I did struggle a little trying to get my Snugpak UQ to fit properly, but it should be ok for the 65* low tonight. Lots of gaps on the sides. I also ordered the Snugpak Enhanced Patrol Poncho/ Poncho Liner combo for $45 on Amazon and it came with a free packable pillow, perfect for the hammock. In really cold temps im gonna try to use both the Snugpak UQ and the Jungle Blanket UQ i made. How are HH's with doubled up UQ's ? I know its not optimal, but untill i get some down, itll have to work bc its what i have. So far im loving the Hennessy. Thanks again for the insight, tips and help guys. When im as knowledgeable ill make sure to pay it forward.
    I have a HH Exped., and I get the ridge line as tight as I can. Right or wrong, I don't know, but it seems to work well enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast