Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

MI - 3rd Annual Gluttony Hang -Elmira, MI, Nov. 3-6, 2016

Once again, the time is upon us to start planning for the 3rd Annual 2016 Gluttony Hang, taking place Thursday, Nov. 3 to Sunday, Nov. 6. This year we've changed the location and moved the hang to private property approximately 15 miles southwest of Gaylord, MI. It's only a few miles away from where we were last year at Pinney Bridge in the Jordan River Valley. This 120 acre tract is owned by Turkey's Father-in-law Gary and he has graciously allowed use of the property. Please send a PM to Turkey for directions.

There are acres of hardwood forest where you can setup anywhere. Note, please no personal campfires, since this is a group event. There's an improved farm road to the location and it's fine for any type of car or truck. On the edge of the woods, there will be a plowed (if snow) or mowed area for parking. Nearby will be the Gluttony 2016 base camp with firepit, tables, and a pop-up canopy (I have one, could use more) and a rented porta-john. Note, if everyone could kick in $10 to cover the cost, that would be appreciated. Water is available from a tap at the property owners house, but it's a drive so bringing a couple gallons of water is recommended. There is plenty of firewood available and a party store for those extras minutes away. Note, Turkey will be posting photos of the location later.

The theme for the hang is Gluttony, it's as simple as that. All food is cooked over the fire on the grill, cast iron frying pan or dutch oven. Bacon is cooked on the hour and there is always something to tempt those tastebuds. The options are endless, so feel free to bring whatever you want to share with the group. As we get closer to the hang, we'll have a better idea of how many are attending, so people can plan accordingly. Please feel free to post what food/meal you plan on bringing. I'm planning on bringing my cornbread and sausage gravy, plus my new favorite camp meal of buffalo chicken mac n cheese. Bacon is always appreciated and it's always great seeing what can be made with natures most perfect meat. I seem to remember chocolate covered bacon at Green Timbers '16.

If anyone wants to bring some small (or large) items for trading, bring it along and see if you can find it a new home. I know I've got a few things in my gear closet that I wouldn't mind parting with.

Last year, around 20 people showed up and we had a great time connecting with old friends and making new ones. So, come one, come all and let's start off the Michigan winter hang season!

Link to last years trip report
    Last edited by michigandave; 08-13-2016 at 21:00.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ phoenix/ HHSS
    I may have to try and make this one. I have a place in the Jordan River Valley also! I'll have to see how the calendar cooperates.

Sam

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Y'all make me want to move back to Michigan for hangs like this!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    As I mentioned at the July hang, I will have to miss this one. I'm going deer hunting the following week so that's not enough time to regenerate another hall pass.

Sounds like it will be a great time. Very nice of Turkey's father-in-law to loan out the land. Contact Dave with any questions about the spreadsheet.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Count me in. I'm looking forward to it!

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Will have to see if this will work out. I will be just getting back from Linville Gorge at the end of October
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by diablo45 View Post
    I may have to try and make this one. I have a place in the Jordan River Valley also! I'll have to see how the calendar cooperates.
    Sam
    The Jordan Valley sure is beautiful. Hope you can make it!

Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Y'all make me want to move back to Michigan for hangs like this!
    Come on back for a visit and enjoy the woods of northern Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    As I mentioned at the July hang, I will have to miss this one. I'm going deer hunting the following week so that's not enough time to regenerate another hall pass.
    Sounds like it will be a great time. Very nice of Turkey's father-in-law to loan out the land. Contact Dave with any questions about the spreadsheet.
    Spreadsheet? We don't need no stinkin' spreadsheet . Food for the hangs always just seems to to have a way to work itself out. We will miss your weather updates for this one, but if you can't help yourself, we understand. See you at Green Timbers '17!

Quote Originally Posted by Christo456 View Post
    Count me in. I'm looking forward to it!
    As always, we count on you for your dutch oven, pot roast and breakfast extravaganza.

Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Will have to see if this will work out. I will be just getting back from Linville Gorge at the end of October
    Living that retired life makes me strive for it even more, but I've still got a few more years. Enjoy the Gorge and hopefully you'll be able to join us on another epic Michigan hang.

I'm looking forward to November already, but there's still lots of hanging and hiking to do before then. We'll keep posting more details as it unfolds....

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm going to mark this on the calendar and play it by ear. If work doesn't get in the way, I'm going to try and make it. Just can't promise anything.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Gonna try and make it up. My wife grew up in Gaylord and we love hiking the JRV. It all depends on how baby #2 and mamma are doing.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    edge
    Insulation
    DIY down -40 to 40
    Sign me up I do not do well with spreedsheets. Also have a pop-up canopy to bring.
    Heading back to Isle Royale on the 19th coming back on the 7th. Went to all the lighthoues last trip. Thanks turkey for a place for the hang.
    Dogger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast