Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Toasty

Just got everything hung up for a test run in the basement. Wow, is that warm. I may be in trouble if it doesn't get nice and cool in the evening. I'm not sure I can wait for a whole month to get out in it.

Dirk

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kg8jk View Post
    Just got everything hung up for a test run in the basement. Wow, is that warm. I may be in trouble if it doesn't get nice and cool in the evening. I'm not sure I can wait for a whole month to get out in it.

Dirk
    For me, that's an excuse for a back yard test run. It's also a good confirmation for my wife that her thoughts that I'm crazy are not too far off base.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christo456 View Post
    For me, that's an excuse for a back yard test run. It's also a good confirmation for my wife that her thoughts that I'm crazy are not too far off base.
    I doubt my wife needs any confirmation. I am thinking I need to make a hammock spot in my back yard. I have a patch of woods right there, just need to pick a good set of trees and do some clipping and trimming.

Anybody going downstate to the Chili Hang?

Turkey had a chance to get out to the site over the weekend and do some prep work at the site. Driving down the entrance road:

Parking area
    Basecamp
    The woods where you can make your home for the weekend.

Note, porta potty is reserved and will be delivered on site. I know Turkey and Dogger will be arriving Thursday, so if anyone wants to get a head start on the weekend, come on up. PM Turkey for location and directions.
    Last edited by michigandave; 09-30-2016 at 07:35.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Just finished making a couple of top quilts for the occasion. Took an old sleeping bag and divided it two. I made the first one with the synthetic batting in place, the second I removed the batting, did a sew through Karo pattern and stuffed with down from an old comforter. Total cost $8.45 for both. Now I really can't wait to get out in the cold.

down tq.jpg

Thanks Ed for getting everything set up. I have access to a nice big tarp/stand. Would that be helpful or does someone have that covered (no pun intended)?

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Yukon Outf. Fly
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Thanks michigandave!! Sorry it took me so long to respond. It's been a busy couple of months. MLHammockBWrealistic_HDR.jpg
    Went up to Banff and found a perfect spot to hang!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Yukon Outf. Fly
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Thanks kg8jk! Appreciate the input! Look forward to seeing what we can rig up!

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heho44 View Post
    Thanks kg8jk! Appreciate the input! Look forward to seeing what we can rig up!
    No problem. Let me know what you are thinking of and we can see what we can come up with.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    The 4 of us are going, I have not been approved for my time off yet but I don't think it will be a problem

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heho44 View Post
    Hello All,

I feel as though I'm a glutton for punishment (see what I did there?) as I am interested in my first group hang as well as my first hammock camping experience being the 3rd Annual Gluttony Hang. It was recommended to me by the gentlemen who teaches basic hammocking at one of the REI stores in Metro Detroit. There will potentially be two others coming with me if all goes well, and all of us have only used the hammocks in fair weather and never to camp. I was hoping I could ask a couple questions, due to our novice status.

First: We each have a hammock and tree strap set up, sleeping bags (rated from 20-40 degrees), two of us have sleeping pads, and then basic rain fly's (approximately 10x10'). None of us have underquilts, as we're a little strapped for cash from now until at least this hang, and those puppies are expensive. Would we be alright for the weather with these items and additional blankets, provided winter isn't early and awful?

Second: One of our group is a veggie-saurus. Will there be anymore vegetarians? If not, then we will be sure she brings along food for herself.

Of course we will bring cash for the porta-john, as well as do our best to bring food to share.

If there is anything that anyone recommends that we bring based on previous experiences, or any advice whatsoever, it would all be appreciated.

Hope to see you guys in November! Sounds like a great time!
    This is Todd from REI, I plan on going, and don't worry about staying warm, just bring sleeping bags, pads and blankets for now, everyone at a hang will be more than glad to help you out if you ask for it, find me and I will make sure your good to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast