SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I know it's off topic, but I was looking thru my photos and realized I took one of the lot. It seems pretty big. Did you guys in fact run out of space? Or maybe sloppy parking was to blame
    It was filled to the brim. I had myself blocked in to conserve space which was fine until I had to leave Friday afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR or custom gathered end
    Tarp
    Larger in winter,
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles,
    Oh man, I am going to be in MI during October, I may have to extend a few days for this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdeering View Post
    Oh man, I am going to be in MI during October, I may have to extend a few days for this one! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hope you can make this one! It's always great seeing your custom knives.

Hammock
    WBRR or custom gathered end
    Tarp
    Larger in winter,
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles,
    Thanks Dave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Yukon Outf. Fly
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Hello All,

I feel as though I'm a glutton for punishment (see what I did there?) as I am interested in my first group hang as well as my first hammock camping experience being the 3rd Annual Gluttony Hang. It was recommended to me by the gentlemen who teaches basic hammocking at one of the REI stores in Metro Detroit. There will potentially be two others coming with me if all goes well, and all of us have only used the hammocks in fair weather and never to camp. I was hoping I could ask a couple questions, due to our novice status.

First: We each have a hammock and tree strap set up, sleeping bags (rated from 20-40 degrees), two of us have sleeping pads, and then basic rain fly's (approximately 10x10'). None of us have underquilts, as we're a little strapped for cash from now until at least this hang, and those puppies are expensive. Would we be alright for the weather with these items and additional blankets, provided winter isn't early and awful?

Second: One of our group is a veggie-saurus. Will there be anymore vegetarians? If not, then we will be sure she brings along food for herself.

Of course we will bring cash for the porta-john, as well as do our best to bring food to share.

If there is anything that anyone recommends that we bring based on previous experiences, or any advice whatsoever, it would all be appreciated.

Hope to see you guys in November! Sounds like a great time!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

MI - 3rd Annual Gluttony Hang -Elmira, MI, Nov. 3-6, 2016

Hello Heho 44 and welcome to the forums.

To address your concerns: without underquilts, CCF (closed cell foam) pads are a must. Sleeping bags should work find depending how you sleep, but I certainly would bring extra blankets to augment. Not sure how long your hammocks are, but as long as your tarp is a minimum of 12" longer (6" on each end) you should have adequate coverage.

Onto the food question; if the past repeats itself, this hang will be heavy on meat dishes, so vegetarians please plan accordingly for you dietary needs.

This will be a good group hang to learn about hammock camping with the ease of bailing out if needed and plenty of hammockers willing to dispense good advice.

Clothes for the weather that you aren't afraid of standing or sitting next to a campfire in (cover your down!) and a chair and you'll have no worries.

I keep editing to add additional thoughts. bring your own mess kit (cup,cutlery,plate and or bowl) too as disposable stuff may or may not be available.
    :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Donk_67; 08-30-2016 at 16:15.

What he said....Only correction: we were thinking of paper plates/bowls to ease in the cleanup (bring your own cup for java and other libations). Another thing is since it's a group hang and vehicles are nearby, it seems that more that a few of us overpack. That means extra gear if someone wants to try something out or gets in a bindetc. I know I'll have an extra kit with a tarp, suspension, hammock, and a spare UQ for whoever claims it first.

Glad to hear that your coming up Heho44 and welcome to the 2016 Gluttony Hang. We pride ourselves in redefining what it means to be true Gluttons! Don't forget to hit "subscribe" to keep updated on the thread.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heho44 View Post
    We each have a hammock and tree strap set up, sleeping bags (rated from 20-40 degrees), two of us have sleeping pads, and then basic rain fly's (approximately 10x10'). None of us have underquilts, as we're a little strapped for cash from now until at least this hang, and those puppies are expensive. Would we be alright for the weather with these items and additional blankets, provided winter isn't early and awful?
    I have used several different things in the past that will work as an underquilt, especially since you don't have to hike everything in to the site. If you have extra sleeping bags you can rig one up as an underquilt or if they zip together you can zip them around the hammock (add a sleeping pad too). Check out this thread (just ignore the posts that tell them to buy an underquilt even though they don't have money for one)

I have an old down comforter that I have been using as an underquilt and that has worked great as well. It doesn't have to be down, a nice puffy one that you could fold in half and hang up under the hammock would work. Bring some paracord and a couple of bungees and we should be able to rig something up. My feet tend to get cold so I usually bring a warm coat and put my feet in that for the evening. Glad to hear you are adventurous enough to come join us up north.

BTW: I am working on my first DIY underquilt just for this hang. Wish me luck.

Dirk
    Last edited by kg8jk; 09-05-2016 at 06:48.

Quote Originally Posted by kg8jk View Post
    I have used several different things in the past that will work as an underquilt, especially since you don't have to hike everything in to the site. If you have extra sleeping bags you can rig one up as an underquilt or if they zip together you can zip them around the hammock (add a sleeping pad too). Check out this thread (just ignore the posts that tell them to buy an underquilt even though they don't have money for one)

I have an old down comforter that I have been using as an underquilt and that has worked great as well. It doesn't have to be down, a nice puffy one that you could fold in half and hang up under the hammock would work. Bring some paracord and a couple of bungees and we should be able to rig something up. My feet tend to get cold so I usually bring a warm coat and put my feet in that for the evening. Glad to hear you are adventurous enough to come join us up north.

BTW: I am working on my first DIY underquilt just for this hang. Wish me luck.

Dirk
    Your the king of DIY! I'm sure it will turn out just fine. Looking forward to hanging out with you again.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

All done

I can't believe I finished it! Wow, that was a lot of hard work. I started stuffing the down this weekend using the vacuum tube with the panty hose method. Today I went to the plumbing section and tried the other way using a T connector and vacuum to suck the down out and blow it into the underquilt at the same time. Way better and way faster.

Here it is: 4.5 inches of loft, 50 inches wide and 68 inches long. It was all resale stuff except for the ribbon to make the suspension so the total cost $20!!! I can't believe it either but I found the ripstop for $4 and it was already sewn up as a bag. Crazy find. Then two down comforters from the resale at $5 a piece plus $5 for the ribbon.

loft.jpgUnderquilt.jpg
    Last edited by kg8jk; 09-14-2016 at 05:19.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast