Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3/4 Underquilt with thick socks

Hi-

I have been looking into replacing my pad with an underquilt, and have run into the two main options that people tend to choose:

1) Full length underquilt

2) 3/4 length underquilt + pad for feet

I like that the full length underquilt seems to be less things to move around in the middle of the night (hence moving away from the pad), but the weight (and price) difference is tantalizing for the 3/4 length quilt.

If the sit pad is really just for your feet, has anyone tried just layering some big loose wool socks to prevent them from getting cold, and then just ditching the pad? It seems like an easy solution that would always stay on your feet.

Thanks!

Images
    I only use a 3/4 in summer with no pad(40F-55F) Colder than that at night I prefer a full length UQ.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've developed my philosophy on underquilts over six years of hammock camping. I have an HG Phoenix 40* 3/4 UQ, an HG Phoenix 20* 3/4 UQ, and an HG 0* full-length Incubator.

1. I always have a 10* cushion between expected lows, and the rating of my underquilt. So I would never take my HG Phoenix 20* 3/4 UQ if expected lows are lower than 30* F.
    2. I never use a pad in my 3/4 UQs because I don't need one for 30* F and higher.
    3. I never wear socks or anything on my feet, because footwear seems to trap sweat (moisture) against my feet and they get cold. I've been down to -3* F with nothing on my feet and was warm.

My first UQ was an HG Phoenix 20* 3/4 UQ with 2 oz. of overstuff. I tried using a pad, wearing wool socks, down booties, etc., but the lowest temps I got down to was 13* F and my feet were always cold. If all you can afford is one UQ, I'd suggest getting a full-length so you don't have to deal with the pad.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-10-2016 at 21:31.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've developed my philosophy on underquilts over six years of hammock camping. I have an HG Phoenix 40* 3/4 UQ, an HG Phoenix 20* 3/4 UQ, and an HG 0* full-length Incubator.

1. I always have a 10* cushion between expected lows, and the rating of my underquilt. So I would never take my HG Phoenix 20* 3/4 UQ if expected lows are lower than 30* F.
    2. I never use a pad in my 3/4 UQs because I don't need one for 30* F and higher.
    3. I never wear socks or anything on my feet, because footwear seems to trap sweat (moisture) against my feet and they get cold. I've been down to -3* F with nothing on my feet and was warm.

My first UQ was an HG Phoenix 20* 3/4 UQ with 2 oz. of overstuff. I tried using a pad, wearing wool socks, down booties, etc., but the lowest temps I got down to was 13* F and my feet were always cold. If all you can afford is one UQ, I'd suggest getting a full-length so you don't have to deal with the pad.
    I'm quite positive I would be able to break my toes off like icicles if I were to remove insulation under 60 deg.

Freakin Farmer, what do you use to keep your feet from forming icicles?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I only use a 3/4 in summer with no pad(40F-55F) Colder than that at night I prefer a full length UQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

Good info in both responses. After 4 years of using full length quilts, I used my 20° 3/4 Phoenix two weeks ago for the first time. At 55° lows I had no problem sleeping barefoot with a 40° TQ. But at a 46° low my calves got cool...enough to bother me. A small pad under my legs would have done the trick.

I agree that anything below 40 so and it's not worth messing with it; just use a full length.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I actually tried no socks/no pad after reading a similar post from SilverSurfer last year and it actually works for me, too. Barefoot in my top quilt is the most comfortable and warm for me. It's nice because I always sleep barefoot in a bed, so it's a familiar feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    40° is my confort cutoff too for 3/4 UQ. If I had to buy now, I'd go with the full length 20° and a PLUQ for 50°+.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I know I mention it a lot, but I'm loving my short, full length Incubator. Just a few inches longer than me for a perfect fit and minimum bulk while still being totally covered.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner497 View Post
    If the sit pad is really just for your feet, has anyone tried just layering some big loose wool socks to prevent them from getting cold, and then just ditching the pad? It seems like an easy solution that would always stay on your feet.
    I usually do just that, until it gets COLD, then I'm in my Incubator and it's not an issue.

My first quilt was the above mentioned Incubator, and I've just recently stared using 3/4 quilts.....but I LIKE em!! For most hangs they're plenty warm enough. When it gets chilly I wear a pair, or two, of oversized wool socks. Works for me!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast