HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon,DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    HG 20, HH SS, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Son's First Overnight hang in the woods

Here a quick report on my son's first overnight hang in the woods last night. He recently turned 5. We have slept in the garage overnight before and he was ready for the woods.

In the afternoon we hiked the 175" or so to the trees in our back yard to set up our hammocks. I used my DD frontline hammock with "hennessy like" modifications. I tried some Reflectix for insulation. He used his amazonas hammock (which he can hang himself) with my DD underblanket. I rigged an army surplus bugnet over his hammock. It was topped with the DD 3x3m tarp with a slightly offset ridgeline which creates Asym tarp with mini doors.

We waited until dark. We got our glow sticks and headlamps and ventured across the very dark back yard and climbed into our hammocks. He was excited! We talked for awhile and a little later he was sound asleep until morning. What a great experience for the both of us!

Here's a few photos
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Max B; 08-07-2016 at 13:30.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I do miss introducing my kids to hammocks.

kidhammocka.jpg

My kids were much older than 5 when they spent their first night in a hammock. My oldest son was 20, my daughter was 18, and my youngest son was 12 when they first tried out hammocks. They figured out ways to screw things up that I would never have imagined - sitting on the bugnet and ripping it, inability to figure out whoopie slings or any kind of splice - my oldest son even got a squirrel in his hammock. Luckily, I witnessed that hilarious encounter. He was taking a nap when the squirrel somehow got into the bugnet and hammock and started bouncing around in a panic. I'm sure my son had a granola bar or something but he always denied it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon,DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    HG 20, HH SS, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks SilvrSurfr for the stories, and for rotating the photo. The squirrel story is especially funny! Where we set up there are several chipmunk holes. One day, we all hung our hammocks and watched the chipmunks climb into the hole, climb back out, and so on. The kids got a kick out of it!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    That's great Max. He'll be ready to hit the trail with you very soon!

My first grandson is currently 4 months. Maybe in a few more months he'll be ready.... =)

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon,DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    HG 20, HH SS, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Johnspenn! I'm looking forward to spending some hiking time with the family. I'm sure your grandson will be ready for the trails in no time :-)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    I love to hear stories like this. It gives me a lot of inspiration for my kids. I've taken my two-year-old a few times tenting, only because I have the one hammock. After I get my WBBB, I'm passing my old gear down to him. He loves to hike, and will hopefully like to hang, too.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon,DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    HG 20, HH SS, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks tstark! It's great to hear about you and your young feller getting outside too!

My 3 year old loves camping and hiking also, and he likes to hang in his hammock.

All the best with your outings!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Mine are 7 and 11 and we do a lot of car camping. With my most recent purchase I've finally got a complete hammock, UQ, and some kind of top insulation for all of us. Thanks to some generous folks at HangCon I've even got some kid-sized packs for each. I'm hoping to do some hanging at the local park in another month or so once the temps start to drop. Hanging in the 90s is just miserable so that will be an adventure for this fall.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    I took my oldest about 1/2 mile down a trail for her first overnight when she was 4.5 years old. She needed a bathroom break about 10 minutes down the trail and proceeded to pee all over her shorts Of course I had not accounted for that or for the fact that I had picked a campsite next to a creek for her to play in/with. Needless to say, she ran out of clothes very quickly

In the end, she (and I) had a great time and three years later, she is a hiking/backpacking beast. Our last trip together, I wanted to quit because of the bugs and heat and she insisted we stay another night http://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/...o-camping.html

All this is to say, keep at it and you will have a hiking companion for a long time.

P.S. that looks like a great backyard.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Great start! I just had my first father -son hammock backpacking trip 2 weeks ago. He is 19, mostly away at college now so I have fewer opportunities to make these great memories!!

Loven every minute of it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast