Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 / Vertex
    Tarp
    Superfly/Vertex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok here are my quilts. First time posting pics so forgive me if I screw it up. I told my wife what I wanted to do and she is a fantastic sewer and sewed these up for me. I seamed ripped everything and then she attached the two quilts together and I had her attach it to a piece of rip stop. I have all the suspension attached to the rip stop and the quilt is attached around the perimeter and several places down the middle of the quilt. We have hung in them for a week in the BWCA (one for her, one for me) and they were very warm. The top quilts I have two quilts per person. If it gets cold I slip one TQ into the other and you have a double quilt. I tried this once at 40 deg and it was to warm for me. I have separate summer DIY UQ's, you can see the grey quilt in one of the photos....I take those down to about freezing. Not sure how low they go and also not sure how low the Costco UQ's will go yet.

Underquilt
    20160519_105659.jpg

Underquilt
    20160519_105833.jpg

Top Quilt
    20160103_175755.jpg

Top Quilt - I am 6'2" for reference
    20160103_175716.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by massie17 View Post
    Ok here are my quilts. First time posting pics so forgive me if I screw it up. I told my wife what I wanted to do and she is a fantastic sewer and sewed these up for me. I seamed ripped everything and then she attached the two quilts together and I had her attach it to a piece of rip stop. I have all the suspension attached to the rip stop and the quilt is attached around the perimeter and several places down the middle of the quilt. We have hung in them for a week in the BWCA (one for her, one for me) and they were very warm. The top quilts I have two quilts per person. If it gets cold I slip one TQ into the other and you have a double quilt. I tried this once at 40 deg and it was to warm for me. I have separate summer DIY UQ's, you can see the grey quilt in one of the photos....I take those down to about freezing. Not sure how low they go and also not sure how low the Costco UQ's will go yet.

Underquilt
    20160519_105659.jpg

Underquilt
    20160519_105833.jpg

Top Quilt
    20160103_175755.jpg

Top Quilt - I am 6'2" for reference
    20160103_175716.jpg
    How did your wife attach them and keep them offset? Did she sew them together and then see them to the rip stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    The problem with harvesting from one and adding to the other is that it doesn't mortgage the problem of the leaky sewn through areas. Alternating the baffles on two different quilts takes care of that.
    That makes sense.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob shields View Post
    Has anyone ever put two or three of these together for winter camping? Seems like it would be easy to sew them together! !

BBGS
    I used 2 throws to create a modular UQ system last winter. Pictures and detailed write are here. I've taken this set up down to low 40's on it's own, and low 30's (below freezing) with additional synthetic sleeping bag
    Last edited by gfstanley; 08-26-2016 at 20:13.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 / Vertex
    Tarp
    Superfly/Vertex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    After seem ripping she attached the short side of 2 quilts then folded one over the other and pinned the edges together while we attached just the inside layer similar to ticking a quilt, while alternating the baffels. Then the hardest part was figuring how tight to attach the quilt to the rip stop. Had to rip some stiches once because it was to tight. It really wasn't to bad once we got going. Hope that makes sense, if not let me know and I will respond on my laptop instead of my phone in a little more length.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 / Vertex
    Tarp
    Superfly/Vertex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gfstanley View Post
    I used 2 throws to create a modular UQ system last winter. Pictures and detailed write are here. I've taken this set up down to low 40's on it's own, and low 30's (below freezing) with additional synthetic sleeping bag
    Nice quilts gfstanley, I remember reading your thread before starting my project.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    I am planning to have a one/two quilt system, depending on the season. Instead of sewing them together, I'm going the Sargegivings route and I'm using snaps. This way I have the most versatile system possible. I was looking to seem rip the vertical stitches, but alternating baffles is a great idea instead, as others have suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob shields View Post
    Has anyone ever put two or three of these together for winter camping? Seems like it would be easy to sew them together! !

BBGS

Ottawa,Canada Merivale location !! Just got them in yesterday! ! Black,Navy,Grey and a purple/ Red !! 300 in stock as of tonight! ! $26.99 CA.

BBGS

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls
    When I first heard about people ripping the Costco Throw seams, I thought it was ridiculous. Especially after I first tried it and was progressing very slowly and probably harming the fabric.

But then I got a hold of a "seam ripper" for $1.00 and it works way better than a needle.

And then, after ripping all the seams in one direction, shaking the down to one end, and cutting off the part of the down that won't be used, I realized something else. A lot of down escaped when I cut, meaning that I had not shaken down all the down; it had been trapped in the remaining seams.

So then I discovered it's WAY easier to rip the seams in the other direction. In other words, once you have ripped the seams with a tool, you can rip the other direction mostly by hand, other than the first square. Just don't rip too much, into the area of the throw you want to save.

Bottom line, if you're ripping seams, rip them in the other direction half the way too, and get even more down; the rippin' that way is fast and easy. And it goes well with having a cold one.

My quilts have expanded much more than I thought possible. My 70" x 32" Ridgerunner quilt looks like a
    puffer fish, ready for a hang in Antarctica.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Folks,
    I am going to repeat this message as I have once again delete a number of messages relating to "PM me and pick me a couple" "I have a couple of extra's PM me if you want them". This is NOT the place to buy or sell goods.

cut and paste from message 66 in this string:

I am going to post these links so you folks can figure out if you want to help each other out but this thread is NOT the place to discuss buying/selling/group buys at. I am reposting because there are a lot of new folks posting in this thread who may not be aware.

Want to buy a couple of these items? Read at this link and post in the WTB section. https://hammockforums.net/forum/cont...TB)-guidelines

Want to set up a group buy for a whole bunch of these things? Go here, read, then work with the HF staff to set it up hammockforums.net/forum/...s-PLEASE-READ-!!!

What you do not want to do is purchase a bunch of these items then think you will resell them on Hammock Forums either via this thread or the FS section. That will not work out for you because of how HF Market Place is set up. I am posting this as a public service since a number of folks have already been shut down and had to return many of this item to their local Costco!!!
    Last edited by attroll; 01-05-2019 at 17:07.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

I picked up one on friday. im gonna go back for another later this week I'm pretty sure i purchased the 1st one

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast