Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    My Winter Wooki is on it's way - Yay!
    Just two weeks after order - Wow!
    Now I need some cold weather camping.

3 Season Wooki just arrived today! Took approximately 15 seconds to install it, and the design is just perfect. Sits naturally in just the right spot with no fiddling. Can't imagine a better companion to my XLC. Thanks WBO!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oh dear oh dear

I'm on deck

I will be following this closely as I want a full length quilt - actually may need two - wife wants to join me on some overnight trips this year and with our 6 year old son...suddenly I'm looking for another UQ or two.

I have an XLC - probably will get wife a BB. Started looking at all UQ options out there - I love my Greylock 3 but it has now become my 6year olds de facto "full length" and I now have moved into the pro full length camp.

Brandon - dude - I trust you but I am awaiting some more verification on this "no fiddle" biz

It seems to me that not only does that flappy extra fabric need to keep in contact but the quilt itself needs to. If it does not - the flappy fabric may block wind and insulate a bit - but not enough I would think?! I guess since you special made this for your hammocks that it (the lofty quilt part) pretty much is always going to stay in contact with the body of the user?

I just keep imagining those sides flipping away from my body.

I am intrigued for sure though!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

Brandon - dude - I trust you but I am awaiting some more verification on this "no fiddle" biz

It seems to me that not only does that flappy extra fabric need to keep in contact but the quilt itself needs to. If it does not - the flappy fabric may block wind and insulate a bit - but not enough I would think?! I guess since you special made this for your hammocks that it (the lofty quilt part) pretty much is always going to stay in contact with the body of the user?

I just keep imagining those sides flipping away from my body.

I am intrigued for sure though!!
    The only part of the quilt that needs to be in contact with you/the hammock body is the part you're laying on. As long as there is always insulation in contact with 100% of your backside, then 100% of your backside is insulated, what the fabric does at the edges/ends doesn't matter if you're not laying there, however with the Wooki if you say roll over and lay on that edge you would then be weighting the hammock fabric in that spot and also the quilt fabric under it, and then it would be flush to the hammock body and insulate there. The only part that might be described as floppy, would be maybe the single layer non-insulated portion along the very edge, but this is more part of the suspension than anything and it provides no insulation. Regarding the insulated portion, take a mattress as an example. You don't lay on the whole thing, the fact that the whole matteress isn't in contact with you doesn't make it any it less warm, and if you roll over on that unused portion the insulation then touches you and starts insulating you there.

The insulated portion is somewhat larger than the body of the user so it would be impossible for all of that to be in contact with your body, just like with any UQ, there is insulation beyond you that you aren't touching. Wether 100% of the insulated portion touches hammock fabric or not is irrelevant, hammock fabric has near zero insulation value and so heat goes straight through it, so contact between the insulated part of the Wooki and un-used hammock fabric does not come into play in regard to insulation. By "un-used" im meaning hammock fabric that you're not laying on or hammock fabric that isn't covered by your topquilt. The part of the hammock you do lay on is the only place the insulation needs to contact you/the hammock fabric. If that were not the case I could make it warmer by simply making the insulated part longer or wider and thus insulating a greater portion of the hammock bottom, but since heat isn't being lost through those spots (because there is no warm body touching the hammock there), it wouldn't make you any warmer if there was insulation there, or wasn't any there, or was some there but it was sagging an inch from the hammock body because no weight was on it, it's all the same.

Regarding windblock, the non-insulated parts of the quilt do a good job of keeping the wind out from between the hammock and UQ,but like with any UQ, if you are trying to get the best performance out of it you will need an adequate wind block (tarp or sock) because the fabric is quite breathable and so not a 100% windblock on it's own.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-05-2016 at 01:01.

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I'm also considering purchasing the 3 season Wooki for my BB XLC and Traveler xl but I'm 6'6" and wondering if the insulated area is long enough. Any tall Wooki owners out there?

Images
    The top of your head might stick partially past the end so you might need a pillow or hat in cold weather

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the reply Brandon!

I think I was kinda foggy on how this would work and you cleared that up. Now I just gotta see for myself I guess!

I think my "mental error" was forgetting that this is made to form fit along the full length same as the hammock itself and thus you will maintain contact with the quilt by definition.

I guess that below the knee stuff is a concern but not much it sounds like.

Venting is a slight concern for me but in the past year (my first year of hammock camping) my primary issues was not needing to vent but perhaps not having it set up to fully close just right

But I'm sure we can all if needed come up with a way to fluent it for the occasion we need that - but this 20 degree rated wookie would be only late fall winter early spring use and I think it will be great.

I'll probably buy one in the coming week or two!

Then if it goes well a second one for my wife.

My 3/4 length Greylock 3 has become my 6 year olds full length UQ and my summer and warmer months UQ

This is very intriguing - cannot wait - I'll probably do my first every YouTube review of this product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by _7ach_ View Post
    Google search comes up with 2 review videos... hope to see more soon
    Any more video reviews? I need to see it in action...

Where are all of the new product video review people on You Tube??

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    The top of your head might stick partially past the end so you might need a pillow or hat in cold weather
    Perfect! Thanks for the quick reply. I just ordered the 3 season Wooki xl in brown. Can't wait to try it out.

I got my 20deg Wooki last week and have used it in the backyard every night since. Man, this thing is so slick. It just settles right into the correct position and won't move no matter what I do. It is right tight up to the bottom of the hammock everywhere it contacts, and the baffles all sit right underneath.

No need for any video reviews really, as there is zero fiddle factor and it just works and installs in seconds. Couldn't be happier with the purchase!

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast