Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutch 11ft W 1.6
    Insulation
    Blanket
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/ EXT

Travel pillow in hammock?

Hey guys, first of all i made a mistake and ripped the tag which made a hole in the pillow case sk no returning... So last night i decided to get a pillow dedicated to my hammock. I picked up a "world's best travel pillow" made with memory foam and a soft cover. I ripped the hole in it which is mentioned above. I put it on and got in the hammock and it felt just hard and suffocating like. In the car it felt so nice. But idk why in the hammock it feels bad. Maybe because hammocks are stretchy and the pillow has no hard backing? I was wondering if you guys have experience with this issue and maybe mods or something to make a memory foam travel pillow work in a hammock or if you get used to it? Thanks again you guys!
    Mexicano por toda la vida!!! Hammocks are comfy! Soccer, Track and Field, Technology, 3D Printing, Dog... What more could I ask for?.. More hammocks?!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Not sure what size your pillow is. Right now we use a small camping hammock, all I like for a hammock pillow is a little support for my neck. many just use a rolled up fleece or stuffsack with extra clothing in it. There are also inflatables that might work well though I haven't personally tried them.

The conventional wisdom seems to be is a very small pillow, mainly for neck support.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers
    I bought a cocoon air pillow, and it was way too much pillow.
    But, using it to elevate my knees while using a Hammock Gear down pillow works well for me.
    I found I didn't need as much head/neck support as I thought, even with neck issues.
    The hammock already puts you in a more healthy sleeping position, as opposed to side sleeping, and supports your head and neck pretty well on its own. I still needed some neck support though.
    Maybe try the pillow you have under your legs, see how it goes.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    I tried the memory foam travel pillow and had a similar experience, so I returned it. I use an inflatable horseshoe shaped travel pillow from ikea for $6. I only inflate it about 1/4...just enough to support my neck. Works great for me. On occassion I also use a regular pillow, but I removed about 1/2 the stuffing.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I like klymit products and have been looking at their cush pillow, apparently it can be molded into different configurations and blown up either soft or hard or in between...I like their mattresses too, I use them to stick under my knees as well as laying on. Super light and super adjustable.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft W 1.6
    Insulation
    Blanket
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/ EXT
    Thanks guys. Yeah it is a pretty small pillow just for neck support. It just feels hard in a hammock. I'll just keep trying and see how it goes before trying something else. I'll let you guys know
    Mexicano por toda la vida!!! Hammocks are comfy! Soccer, Track and Field, Technology, 3D Printing, Dog... What more could I ask for?.. More hammocks?!

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I sliced the memory foam in half and put one half back in the cover. It's still too thick, but much better.

I ended up making a small pillow from some spare hammock material and leftover insulation from my underquilt. Just enough to support my neck..

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft W 1.6
    Insulation
    Blanket
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps/ EXT
    Quote Originally Posted by No-sage View Post
    I sliced the memory foam in half and put one half back in the cover. It's still too thick, but much better.

I ended up making a small pillow from some spare hammock material and leftover insulation from my underquilt. Just enough to support my neck..
    Cool. How does the sliced foam in the cover feel in say a car or airplane? I'd like it to still function as a travel pillow

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I only bought it to try with the hammock. I don't use one otherwise.

You could just put both pieces back in and it would be exactly the same as before it was cut.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Mine is some leftover Climashield sewn into 10" of the leg of some old flannel dorm pants... works fine for me.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast