DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors

Stormy weather tarp setup questions

Last weekend I used my hammock to camp next to a lake for four nights. (It was actually for a certification program... which technically makes it a business hammock!) On the last night, there was a wicked and slow-moving storm -- gusty winds, lightning, rain + hail, the works. I wimped out and retreated to my car for a while, not because I was getting wet or because I was worried about the suspension failing, but because of the lightning. And the noise! And the risk of getting motion-sick.

My setup survived just fine, and in fact I went back out after the storm passed, to a dry and comfy hammock. But I'm wondering about a few things with tarp setup that could make it work better next time.

- Is it better to put the tarp above or below a continuous ridgeline? I had it above the RL the first night, which was windy. I flipped it below because I worried that constant rubbing of the tarp on the line would wear out the coating, although there was no evidence of this after the one night.
    - My tarp is silpoly. I use Dutch Tarpworms with a loop of shock cord and reflective line. I see from the "What's your tarp guy line stake setup" thread that many of you don't use shock cord. Just before the storm hit, I went out to batten down the hatches, and it was a little tough to get the tarp sides taut given the stretchiness of the shock cord. Despite being as tight as I could get it, the cord still stretched some and the tarp was pressing up against my face, until I switched my feet to the wind side. Since the silpoly material won't stretch when wet I don't need the shock cord for that purpose. However -- I could see that having a bit of give in the system would be good to prevent damage in such strong, gusty winds. What do you all prefer and why?
    - The prusik loops on my Dutch CRL slipped an inch or two each during the course of the night. I'm guessing this was because the trees I was hanging from were being tossed so violently that they were going in opposite directions...I was actually getting bounced up and down...and the Lash-It was stretching a bit. Next morning, the prusiks were very tight, and needed to be loosened a bit to pull the tarp taut again. Anything different you'd do? The prusik system has been fine so far.

It was an interesting experiment, for sure. I was happy that things stayed dry and relatively OK.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    To me, it seems you did everything you could to ride this storm out. How can you improve your setup in a storm that is capable of uprooting trees, can't fool mother nature.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Sounds like you played it safe, going to your car. Which was probably the right call given the conditions. How strong were the winds?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    To prevent slippage you could use some Dutch bling instead of prussiks. I have a CRL with a soft shackle on one end and one "Fleaz" on the other, (modified Hansen setup) and once my ridgeline is set it ain't goin nowhere till I undo it.

My tarp guylines are still "evolving" but I'm thinking I will go with a 6-7 ft piece of Dynaglide with a fixed loop on one end, larksheaded to the tarp guy-out points, and then simply MSH the lines to the stakes. Haven't actually tried it yet tho. I never incorporated any shock cord into my setup, I don't have a tarp that stretches so I didn't see the need. (Kelty Noah's 12)

I don't blame you at all for bailing to your car, if I had one available during a storm I might do the same thing. When you think about it, a falling tree will get you either way, but a car will protect you from more than a tarp will in many situations, especially in high winds. But it's the times when your car isn't near that having a solid setup will be fruitful so keep learning and dialing it in.

Have fun playing with your setup and let us know what you come up with.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    No shame in going to the car, as mentioned, you can't stop mother nature's fury. I imagine that big enough hail might go right through, lightening could hit the tree, etc. But I've ridden out many storms like that too, even slept right through some, only to wake up and see the debris everywhere, but then, I love storms.

I've only ever used my tarp over my ridgeline.
    My previous tarp I used 3-season for 4 years, no leaks, or sign of wear from the ridgeline. I replaced it for OTHER reasons (ripped out grommets in the corners, stretched out in the middle, small, heavy for its size) but not for that.

"Better" depends entirely on you, and you'll see all kinds of conflicting replies.
    I put my tarp over, because I like my tarp's ridge supported by the line. Especially in the snow, or if rain collects in the "tarp sag" if I don't have optimal tension on my side pulls due to the location.

Shock cord: stretchiness: that's the idea... Serves as shock relief... Keeps the tarp and cordage under tension when it expands a bit while wet, keeps the tarp from yanking out your stakes after it contracts from tarp and cordage drying out after you tensioned it during an overnight rain. The trick there is finding the balance... Tight enough to be tight, but room to stretch and then contact again.

**Might** help prevent strong guests from yanking your stakes out... Or could contribute to loosening them on a windy day, due to the constant movement... That part is hard to tell if it helps or hurts.

The tarp billowing in against you in a wind. No matter what you do, shock cord or not, this will happen (at least I never found a way to stop it). Doesn't hurt anything. At first I found it annoying, and thought about having done custom tent rods made, but I never did, and instead I got used to it. In the end, I actually decided I like it... Gives me a feel for what the weather's doing when I can't see out, and I sleep great with the hammock rocking.

Trees you choose for hanging should be 6" diameter or bigger, preferably bigger... This reduces the wind-action, and it should be noted that during ice storms, I've seen birches bent over with their tops touching the ground

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WalksIn2Trees; 07-30-2016 at 07:55.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY or JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB or HG
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle
    Sounds like a great storm! Sounds like you've got your set-up dialed in good. I've never used Silpoly but assuming it's about the same weight as the silnylon in my tarps (1.1ish), I'd recommend hanging it below. If you find your prussiks are slipping too much, you might try adding another wrap or two to the slippy-knotty thing --- sorry my vocab isn't that great for the specific bits of that knot ;-). Obviously, more wraps means more surface area at the contact point and thus greater friction/holding power.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Thanks everybody, more things to think about and try.

Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    Sounds like you played it safe, going to your car. Which was probably the right call given the conditions. How strong were the winds?
    I wish I knew how strong the winds were... this was in Canada, on the southern shore of Lake Huron. I couldn't find detailed weather info online, at least not like what I'm used to with the NOAA. Next time will have to research where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    To prevent slippage you could use some Dutch bling instead of prussiks. I have a CRL with a soft shackle on one end and one "Fleaz" on the other, (modified Hansen setup) and once my ridgeline is set it ain't goin nowhere till I undo it.

My tarp guylines are still "evolving" but I'm thinking I will go with a 6-7 ft piece of Dynaglide with a fixed loop on one end, larksheaded to the tarp guy-out points, and then simply MSH the lines to the stakes. Haven't actually tried it yet tho. I never incorporated any shock cord into my setup, I don't have a tarp that stretches so I didn't see the need. (Kelty Noah's 12)
    Should have specified... my CRL is the standard Dutch complete setup, with a Hook on one end and a Wasp on the other. That part was solid, it was only the prusiks attached to the tarp's D-rings that slipped.

Your proposed setup sounds nice and simple to me. I may try something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    "Better" depends entirely on you, and you'll see all kinds of conflicting replies.
    I put my tarp over, because I like my tarp's ridge supported by the line. Especially in the snow, or if rain collects in the "tarp sag" if I don't have optimal tension on my side pulls due to the location.

Trees you choose for hanging should be 6" diameter or bigger, preferably bigger... This reduces the wind-action, and it should be noted that during ice storms, I've seen birches bent over with their tops touching the ground
    Normally, I love storms, too. This was just a bit extreme for my tastes! But I agree, the rocking was nice...to a point.

Well thanks for the "tarp over" vote. I think I'll try that and just watch for signs of extra wear.

Should have specified as well that the trees were close to 12" in diameter, one maybe more. It was a heckuva storm!

Quote Originally Posted by Valveless View Post
    I've never used Silpoly but assuming it's about the same weight as the silnylon in my tarps (1.1ish), I'd recommend hanging it below. If you find your prussiks are slipping too much, you might try adding another wrap or two to the slippy-knotty thing --- sorry my vocab isn't that great for the specific bits of that knot ;-). Obviously, more wraps means more surface area at the contact point and thus greater friction/holding power.
    One vote for below. Why, because of wear?
    More wraps on the prusiks, that's something to try. Also I think I remember a bit of wisdom that Lash-It and other similar "slippery" line sometimes needs to be "roughed up" a bit so that prusiks don't slip...?

Well now I can't wait to hang in a storm again!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I can add limited perspective here...

As much as I love hanging in the rain, I would have retreated to the car as well. Although, I probably would have taken my TQ with me just to be safe.

Tarp worms.. I've swapped out the shock Dutch included for a slightly 'firmer' reflective shock cord. In calm air it tension them about 50% of max. In heavier wind, I pull them as far as they will stretch, and back off a smidge.. Probably 80-85% of max. In fact, the little bit of 'back-off' that occurs when the loop tightens around the tarp worm, puts just about the right amount of slack in the shock cord.

I got tired of the tarp blowing against me. I now use a single pole mod which tames the tarp and creates a cavernous interior. Worth the weight penalty I pay for the pole.

Never went over the ridge line with the tarp, but I suppose that would be my choice in snow.

I have given up on prussiks and Klemheist friction knots for tensioning the tarp. Seems they are either too loose to hold or, tight enough to hold but then, impossible to move. I now use a mini-ucr on the ridge line. They connect to diamond knots on the tarp.

Sent from East of Montauk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Interesting... thanks! I wondered about firmer shock cord. Will have to look for that. Where did you get yours?

Been following the mini-UCR thread... I thought I didn't have a need to switch from prusiks, but maybe now I do, heh.

If the trees were swaying that much, I'd think it was a blessing the prussiks slipped a little. With no give, you might have has some damage I'd they did not slip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast