Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Snugpak UQ

What's the difference between the Snugpak UQ and the DIY jungle blanket UQ I just completed? It seems pretty thick for what it is since its folded in half. Just wondering....... Benefits of one over the other? I know low temps are subjective, and vary between people. If it gets me into the 40's I'll be happy.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I have both a SnugPak Underblanket (underquilt) and a SnugPack Jungle blanket. The underblanket is about three times thicker (more insulated) than the Jungle blanket for one thing.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have both as well - the difference is thickness as stated in previous post and the Underblanket (UQ) wraps nicely around the entire hammock - a full length UQ.
    In addition:
    The Underblanket/UQ is significantly heavier and packs up to about 2 1/2 times the space as the Blanket. The Underblanket/UQ comes with a good quality compression sack.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Since the jungle blanket is folded in half, essentially giving it 2 layers of the outer fabric and 2 of the inner, will that double its wind resistant characteristics? Both UQ's use the same materials, and I know the factory made UQ is def thicker. I was just curious if since the J.B uq has the extra layers of material will that make up for the difference in insulation somewhat? The other is obviously going to be warmer with the thicker insulation but doesn't it lack a way to sinch the ends up?

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    i have both blankets and enjoy both, have had my underquilt in the low 30s and compfortable. I use a snugpak softie elite for my topquilt have #1 &#3. I attach the two inner cords to my hammock suspension and the two outer to my ridgeline, fits fine on my clark tx 270 and on a grand trunk skeeter beater. Works well here in Texas. Snugpak makes a qaulity product and at a reasonable price.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    So far Ive got Snugpaks TQ, jungle blanket and 10x10 all weather shelter. The TQ has done its job vary well so far this summer with temps only getting as low as 60° a few nights. The tarp is plenty big enough pitched in diamond formation but I've had a few stitches start to come loose and one of the grommets has a slight tear behind it. I should be able to repair all that tho. I did use a liquid seam sealer and added 2 coats of the spray water proofer that has the florescent orange top, I forget the brand. That was for peace of mind I guess, the seams come taped and its water proof. The Jungle blanket UQ is just to get me through until the temps drop then I'll suppliment with buying either the Snugpak or DD UQ or Snugpak cocoon( if they have fixed the problems with it I've heard about). I was just curious if the diy UQ is close to the factory in terms of wind resistance and warmth since its folded over, doubling its fabric layers compared to the factory UQ. The factory is obviously thicker.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Since the jungle blanket is folded in half, essentially giving it 2 layers of the outer fabric and 2 of the inner, will that double its wind resistant characteristics? Both UQ's use the same materials, and I know the factory made UQ is def thicker. I was just curious if since the J.B uq has the extra layers of material will that make up for the difference in insulation somewhat? The other is obviously going to be warmer with the thicker insulation but doesn't it lack a way to sinch the ends up?

Doubling the Jungle blanket won't make it as effective as the Underblanket/UQ because you will be needlessly doubling the outer shell which stops the wind but does not insulate. Having used both, I can assure you that there is no need to double the outer layers...the Underblanket with only one outer shell is a SUPERIOR wind stopper. You wouldn't gain anything by doubling the outer shell...you'd just make it heavier but not proportionately warmer. The INSULATION in the Underblanket is about triple the insulation in the Jungle blanket and its that insulation which determines how warm your hammock will be once the wind factor has been eliminated by the single outer shell. The outer shell needs no boosting.

The Underblanket is also differentially cut, darted, and shaped in an oval so that as the sides are cinched up by the elastic cord running through it, the Underblanket actually CUPS up and around the sides and ends of your hammock. I could not make an underquilt to match the efficiency of the Underblanket utilizing two Jungle blankets. Also, the cost of two Jungle blankets is more than one Underblanket.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Thanks dublinlin, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I know the factory made UQ is better in all aspects, just wasnt sure if because I folded the Jungle Blanket in half, then sewed it, if that would help get me at least close to the Level of the other. I'm just using the DIY UQ until it reaches its lower limit, then I'll supplement with either Snugpacks or DD's UQ or the Snugpak Cocoon. If it can get me into the 40's, I'll be happy. It was my fist major DIY project so I wasn't quite sure of what to expect from it since I'm using it for something other that what its designed for.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    The other is obviously going to be warmer with the thicker insulation but doesn't it lack a way to sinch the ends up?
    You just touched upon my pet peeve--LOL! There has been so much talk on this forum of lack of gathering/cinching of the Underblanket's ends and how to modify it to rectify this "problem". Personally, I've done extensive winter camping using the Smugpak Underblanket and the ends are just fine as they are manufactured. They aren't gathered because they don't need to be. I think when there is a problem with end gaping, it's simply a matter of user error. I've got 3 SnugPak Underblankets (and my adult daughter has a 4th one). We have used these EXTENSIVELY for WINTER camping and have never had any draft issues ever. Between us, we are using the Underblankets on a Warbonnet Blackbird, a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, an ENO DoubleNest, an ENO ProNest, and an 11 foot Dutch Hexon Netless, oh and a 10 foot older model Tribe Provisions. The SnugPak Underblanket has worked FLAWLESSLY with every one of these hammocks down to 35-36 degrees F with brutal wind. Below 36, I usually slip a pad under me to bolster the insulation...but I don't like being the least bit chilly when winter camping...hardier souls, I have no doubt, would find the Underblanket by itself perfectly fine lower than 35.

I have never and will never cinch the ends of any of our Underblankets. That would decrease its ability to cup up and around the hammock and I suspect make for a much colder night. It works beautifully just the way it was DESIGNED to work. It isn't a giant rectangle that needs its ends gathered to give it shape!

Ok. That's my soapbox for the day!

My ONLY dissatisfaction in the world with the SnugPak Underblanket is that the other shell material is so darn heavy, making it take up way too much room in my pack. To that end, I'll probably pull my pennies together soon to purchase a Loco Libre Cayenne Pepper. But, until I can afford that, I am DELIGHTED to have my Snugpak Underblankets. They have been a well placed investment for me and have been so much nicer to use than pads. And, I suspect that long after I've "replaced" them, they will STILL be my "go to" for when I'm CAR CAMPING in the WINTER...if nothing else than to act as a over-cover protector for my lighter Cayenne Pepper--since I find it hard to imagine anything else will block the wind and rain-splash up like my diesel strength SnugPak! (Maybe pairing it over the Cayenne Pepper I won't have to fool with a pad, too, when the temp drops below 35!) ...I never hated pads until my SnugPak replaced them and utterly spoiled me!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Thanks dublinlin, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I know the factory made UQ is better in all aspects, just wasnt sure if because I folded the Jungle Blanket in half, then sewed it, if that would help get me at least close to the Level of the other. I'm just using the DIY UQ until it reaches its lower limit, then I'll supplement with either Snugpacks or DD's UQ or the Snugpak Cocoon. If it can get me into the 40's, I'll be happy. It was my fist major DIY project so I wasn't quite sure of what to expect from it since I'm using it for something other that what its designed for.

Rather than DIYing a UQ from SnugPak Jungle blankets, I'd suggest you pick up some CALENDARED material like the CALENDARED Argon on Dutchwaregear.com or the CALENDARED HyperD from Ripstobytheroll.com ....along with two yards of Apex Climashield from either place. I'd go with the 3.6 or 5.0 CS to use down to the 40's. The 3.6 will be a bit less expensive and be a tad easier to work with and will make a quilt that packs up smaller but the 5.0 should keep you as warm as the SnugPak Underblanket but be way lighter and easier to pack than the SnugPak. I just made a 2.5 ounce Apex Climashield DIY UQ and it was pretty easy to make. I just followed the EXCELLENT step by step instructions on Dutch's other site, MakeYourGear.com (where he actually sells a kit...but, since I bought my fabric and CS second hand off a HF member who had never gotten around to sewing a UQ after buying the materials, I got my materials for substantially less.)

If you check Ripstopbytheroll.com 's REMNANT section, you can pick up Climashield for less and also get a good deal on the 4 yrds of fabric (2 yrds for outer side and 2 for the inner side of the UQ). Just make sure you get CALENDARED fabric. The same fabric can often be bought both uncalendared and uncalendared. I think the CALENDERING process will make the fabric more wind resistant.)

I followed Dutch's step by step directions exactly and wound up with a UQ that is LIGHTYEARS lighter and smaller packing than my SnugPak and works every bit as well on coolish nights. Obviously, I wouldn't try to use it below 55ish, because I hate being chilly(!), BUT, if I had made it with the 3.6 ounce CS I'd trust it into the mid 40's and I'd trust the 5.0 CS down to the lower 30's. I do not know, though, how well my DIY UQ made from CALENDARED HyperD on one side and CALENDARED Argon on the other will block strong winds. I haven't camped on a windy night since making my summer DIY UQ.

(This summer UQ was my first DIY sewing project. I'm not a sewer and used a borrowed machine...and the quilt still turned out awesome and just took me a couple of days. It literally takes up maybe 1/6th of the pack space my SnugPak Underblanket takes up and for summer use, it is every bit as good!)
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 07-30-2016 at 15:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast