Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Where to focus my money

Hey everybody, new guy here. I found I am madly in love with hammocks and needs some direction. I am going elk hunting this september (last week in WA) and plan on being in a hammock for a week or so. Temps could be down in the 20's.

I planned on getting a Dream Hammock Dangerbird and Snugpak over and underquilts but now am not sure.

I cant buy a nice hammock and quilts all this year. Should I buy a cheap hammock and nice quilts, or a nice hammock and economy snugpak quilts?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowplow View Post
    Hey everybody, new guy here. I found I am madly in love with hammocks and needs some direction. I am going elk hunting this september (last week in WA) and plan on being in a hammock for a week or so. Temps could be down in the 20's.

I planned on getting a Dream Hammock Dangerbird and Snugpak over and underquilts but now am not sure.

I cant buy a nice hammock and quilts all this year. Should I buy a cheap hammock and nice quilts, or a nice hammock and economy snugpak quilts?

Thanks!
    Unless you seek out and find the most comfortable and greatest hammock, and build your system from there, you will not make the best investment IMO. Even if you use foam pads the first year with your most comfortable hammock, eventually you will have a system dialed in based on a hammock who's features fit your needs. The hammock is the foundation of the sleeping system; build from there.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I am personally a fan of simple, gathered-end hammocks that are relatively inexpensive. There are plenty of folks who love hammocks with integrated bugnets, gear shelves, peak bags, ridgeline organizers, over covers, undercovers, and other accouterments I'm not enamored with.

I'd rather spend my bucks on insulation!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

For me personally; comfort equals bridge hammock. YMMV

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    I'm a new hammocker also but just spent 6 weeks sleeping in a hammock while long distance hiking. For me, comfort and staying warm over a single night, never mind several nights running, is a big priority. It's a safety issue too.
    I could have spent more money on the hammock sleep system, but that wasn't necessary. Additionally, what I do have, WBBB and their TQ & UQ, will be pressed into service for a long time, and based on the quality, I'm confident my kit's up to the task.

Bottom line, buy new or used within your budget, factoring in what you find essential.

Images
    Buy a quality hammock this year (good material and not too short) and save your pennies for decent insulation next year. For the time being use a cheap pad and sleeping bag, it will do the job. A good mod is to duct tape on some wings onto your cheap CCF pad, more CCF or Reflectix will do.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    My perspective is a little different. IMO most hammocks (10-11 ft made out of decent material) are already comfortable. My wife and I both sleep in table cloth hammocks, that cost us about $20 each with suspension. We sleep great in ours.

To get the best and most comfortable hang in most conditions and cases, you will need down. And at 20* you will need alot of it. Down ain't cheap. Go with a less expensive hammock from a reputable vendor here on this site, and save your money for the top and under insulation. You can always look to upgrade your hammock at a later date.

Also you need to think about a tarp. All the down in the world won't keep you warm if it gets wet. Also you will need a way to block some of the wind that will likely blow in the colder temps. A good winter tarp won't be cheap either.

This is just one man's opinion.

Good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Images
    Quilts you can transfer over between hammocks should your preferences change. This is the item I would buy once, cry once.

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    You can get all of this together but time is running a little short for a dialed in kit for the end of Sept. I may be extra slow but I find it takes time and trial sleeps to find what works for me. Definitely go for it.

If you are going with pads for this year you might want to get a double bottom hammock to make using pads easier. Get a simple suspension And as others have said, a tarp of some sort. Check gear you already have. A sleeping bag may work well in place of a specific Top quilt. Lots of details come to mind. Guy lines, stakes, maybe some carabiners. Adequate bottom insulation will be your challenge most likely.
    Get out there and try everything you've assembled as often as you can before your trip. I find it all too easy to forget or miss putting something in that makes my system work well.
    Tents are so easy in comparison. But there's no comparison when comfort is considered.

Have a great trip.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Images
    I would go with good insulation as top priority.
    What's your budget? I'm sure you'll get some great advice/recommendations if you post how much you are willing to spend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast