Hammock
    Chameleon Soon!
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Incubator-Ghst Pep
    Suspension
    Web / Mule Tape
    Lead time will vary from Vendor to Vendor. http://www.hammockgear.com/ is one that had pretty good turn around time for me when I got an underquilt last year. Love the quality.
    My topquilt is from http://www.locolibregear.com/ and he does some pretty nice work, but his lead time on down is way out there. He does have a new line of synthetics will a lot less lead time. Would love to try one these out.

Dutch has some hammock gear 3/4 length showing in stock at time of writting this if you end up going that route for the hammock. Dutch has some amazing elves that work in his shipping department, so if turn around time is important take closer look at what he has to offer.
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/dutch-e...g-phoenix.html

Narrow it down to a few vendors and contact them to see about lead time.

I am sure that you will get tons of suggestions, my input is from what I have, so I am biased, but I would also not recommend something I wouldn't have a friend or family member buy. I think as a whole most of the vendor here you will be very pleased with the product.

Hammock
    Chameleon Soon!
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Incubator-Ghst Pep
    Suspension
    Web / Mule Tape
    Higher Loft = Less weight for same temperature rating because the higher loft has under ideal conditions MORE Insulation Value/Ounce of Down.
    Higher Loft = Premium on Price the higher the loft. Sometimes going from 800-950 can Jump the cost of an item up SUBSTANTIALLY for a Real word weight savings of 2-3 ounces.
    Duck vs Goose, same usually premium for goose, but I think its also Chevy VS Ford to some extent.

Another thing to keep in mind on Temperature ratings, they are based on "Average" Or sometimes "Ideal" conditions.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The only functional difference between goose down and duck down is that goose down lofts more per ounce. So a properly filled 20 deg quilt made with 800 cu in / oz duck down will weigh 2 or 3 oz more than the same quilt made with 950 cu in / oz goose down. Both quilts should be equally warm. The duck down quilt will cost ~$100 less. That 2 or 3 ounce savings for the high loft goose down is expensive. Matters if you are trying to lighten your backpack. Not so much in other situations.

My 2 cents based on your $150 budget: Just not enough to ensure warmth and comfort in the 20s. I share SilverSurfer's feelings on warmth.

However, you could buy one of Dutch's 11 ft netless hammocks - $42. This what I use when temps are in the 20s. Buy Dutch's complete cinch buckle suspension ~$23. Probably $75 total shipped to your door. Get a foam pad and practice using it. Shug's vids will help choose and use the pad. use a short pad sideways to provide extra width for your shoulders. Borrow a 20 degree mummy bag to use as a top quilt. Spend the remainder of your money on an inexpensive tarp such as a symmetrical Hennessy Hex - around $65 on Amazon.

Very important that you spend a few cold nights in the back yard testing this out. The hammock, suspension and tarp will be fairly easy. Sleeping on a pad in a hammock, not so much.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    The only functional difference between goose down and duck down is that goose down lofts more per ounce. So a properly filled 20 deg quilt made with 800 cu in / oz duck down will weigh 2 or 3 oz more than the same quilt made with 950 cu in / oz goose down. Both quilts should be equally warm. The duck down quilt will cost ~$100 less. That 2 or 3 ounce savings for the high loft goose down is expensive. Matters if you are trying to lighten your backpack. Not so much in other situations.

My 2 cents based on your $150 budget: Just not enough to ensure warmth and comfort in the 20s. I share SilverSurfer's feelings on warmth.

However, you could buy one of Dutch's 11 ft netless hammocks - $42. This what I use when temps are in the 20s. Buy Dutch's complete cinch buckle suspension ~$23. Probably $75 total shipped to your door. Get a foam pad and practice using it. Shug's vids will help choose and use the pad. use a short pad sideways to provide extra width for your shoulders. Borrow a 20 degree mummy bag to use as a top quilt. Spend the remainder of your money on an inexpensive tarp such as a symmetrical Hennessy Hex - around $65 on Amazon.

Very important that you spend a few cold nights in the back yard testing this out. The hammock, suspension and tarp will be fairly easy. Sleeping on a pad in a hammock, not so much.
    For your budget and time constraints this is best advice here IMHO. Some suggestions to go along with it.

Sounds like weight is not an issue so for hunting excursions I would choose the Dutch netless in Hexon 2.4. It is low stretch and heavy duty. If you like "hunting colors" the dark olive is awesome.

If you can swing it, get the knotty mod and SRL....both worth it. The knotty mod will help to keep your pad "wrangled and is really just an awesome mod.

The easiest suspension is going to be cinch buckles. My preference is for Arrowhead's system but I'm sure Dutch's is great. If your budget is firm, skip the titanium on his suspension (saves like $18...spend it on the knotty mod instead).

Absolutely agree with the pad and sleeping bag for now. Both have multiple uses and are inexpensive (if you borrow or have the sleeping bag).

Down to around 20* I have used a blue Wally pad with a reflective windshield screen taped to it. Used that with a North Face 20* bag (synthetic) and been quite cozy. Note however that I do sleep inside the bag rather than use it as a top quilt. This allows me to use the hood which I like. It does take a little jockeying around to get in it but worth it. If you are a cold sleeper, just add a bag liner, extra blanket or dress in fleece "pj's".

If you guys are bringing a ton of gear like most guys do for hunting trips bring along a bunch of those hand warmers. About 30 mins or so before bed rip open a couple and toss them in your sleeping bag. Yes, it's near blasphemy around here but, it's oh so nice to crawl into a warm bed and they help keep you warm all night. :-)

As for a tarp you just cannot beat the Noah's 12. You can close off the ends like doors, it's durable (some call it "bombproof"), plenty big enough, has lots of tie outs and will keep you dry. All that plus it's quite affordable.

Those items should keep you comfy and warm and keep you within your budget. Plus, none of them is a waste. You'll alway find a use for a cheap Wally pad, the hammock will last and adapt to add ons etc., and the Noah's speaks for itself.

Best of luck, have fun and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

UPDATE: I listened to your suggestions and worked a little side job and I have enough for an underquilt now. The timeline is still a concern though.

What are some good underquilts to consider that done take two months to get?! I plan on getting the dutch hammock later!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    UQs from Underground Quilts (UGQ), Hammock Gear, Loco Libre, Warbonnet and probably a few others will all keep you warm. Contact them to see who can deliver on your schedule. I have seen references to Loco Libre being very responsive.

Anybody know about these things: http://wildernesslogics.com/FULL-UND...ENGTH-DOWN.htm

So far I see my options being HG incubator 20, Jacks R Better Mt wa 3, or the Wilderness Logic 20* I have linked above.

It seems to me the WL that I linked has highest fill power, lowest weight and tie for least money. The only thing I would change is I'd love multicam if possible. What do you think of these? I haven't heard them mentioned before.

The Jacks R Better seems really nice too.

Hammock
    Chameleon Soon!
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Incubator-Ghst Pep
    Suspension
    Web / Mule Tape
    Can't speak for all but my experience. I have a HG Incubator 0. I love it. Don't think you'd go wrong with it.

Most of the cottage industry ones are going to get you a great product, don't think you'll go wrong with any you have listed.

Just try to get soon as you can cause I'd recommend you try to sleep several nights in your setup before you go on trip and depend on it. Can be life/death Hypothermia situation if your not prepared. Plus cold in hammock just not fun, but getting quality UQ will take you long way. Mind the Gap, thats where your heat loss can be bad.

First night I slept in my Hammock with UQ was like heaven. Went from using foam to UQ and couldn't believe the difference, and wished I would have went that route from day 1.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowplow View Post
    The only thing I would change is I'd love multicam if possible.
    Wouldn't hi-viz be wise in hunting season?!

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowplow View Post
    Anybody know about these things: http://wildernesslogics.com/FULL-UND...ENGTH-DOWN.htm

So far I see my options being HG incubator 20, Jacks R Better Mt wa 3, or the Wilderness Logic 20* I have linked above.

It seems to me the WL that I linked has highest fill power, lowest weight and tie for least money. The only thing I would change is I'd love multicam if possible. What do you think of these? I haven't heard them mentioned before.

The Jacks R Better seems really nice too.
    Wilderness logics is much loved here in NC. Used by many here. Give him a call and then look for a box at your door.
    Last edited by PappyAmos; 08-01-2016 at 09:30. Reason: Typo

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast