Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers
    The Dream Hammock Sparrow has a removable bug net and an optional top cover. I have one and love it. And it's nice to go without the bug net or top cover if I don't need them.
    I think the Blackbird has an optional top cover too.

Hammock
    Chameleon Soon!
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Incubator-Ghst Pep
    Suspension
    Web / Mule Tape
    I'd go for warm of underquilt you can afford. Getting cold is worst, and can ruin a hunt. I love quality ofmy loco libre tq, but don't recommend them to you for lead time. Last I saw he was at 6-8 weeks. You mentioned snug. Which is what my wife uses currently. Decent for price, but really takes two people to get it dialed in for max insulation. Stepping up my gear to down was biggest improvement on staying warm. My first night in hammock I froze. 10000 feet in NE Utah, it was my nephews setup, and he was just trying setup out also. I just had a 50° UL mummy bag, no uq and super small tarp that didn't cut any wind. So on any setup make sure you have allowed time to test it out. My first experience was a bad one but I saw potential in the comfort given by hammocks.

Go for cheaper gathered end hammock with fixed ridge line. Takes a lot of the errors out of hang angle. Tons of great information on forums here including wonderful videos. Shug has a mountain if info including some cold weather stuff, learning more each time I watch another of his videos.

As already mentioned, kelty Noah 12 best bang for buck for getting started.

Hunting trip adds lots of more weight, are you basecamping or backpacking camp in somewhere? Can make big difference if weight is factor or why your going to hammock camping. If your basecamping it definitely try to see what gear you already might have. Warm sleeping bag, sleeping in thermal underwear, backlav or stocking cap can make sleeping a lot warmer.

I used thermarest and car window reflectors to add insulation factor in my initial cheap setup. Helped but was cheap fix. Keeping it under me was bigger issue, but it was what I already had on hand to make due with.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVillage View Post
    The Dream Hammock Sparrow has a removable bug net and an optional top cover.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a top cover?
    EDIT
    Oh I see, like a sock.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Okay, my two cents; get full length quality quilts. You can get a good hammock for under $200. It's the quilts that are expensive but they are the difference between cold and miserable and warm and great. If you're truly that enamored with hammocks, save yourself time and money and skip the pads. I'd only use pads if my budget was truly that tight but be prepared to have a cold week. For pads you're better off with a double layer hammock but once you get the quilts you won't want/need the double layer so I'm a very strong supporter of get the right gear up front.

If bugs won't be an issue then a Dutch hammock is great as well as economical; put your money into a good set of Hammock Gear quilts, or something similar.

I'd also recommend that you watch the sales on the forum; you will save "some" and may stumble on a good deal.

Gideon

Images
    OP says he has $150 to spend, I think decent quilts are not an option for the time being (seeing as he's got to buy hammock and suspension (and tarp?).

--
    Gadget

Thanks guys. I like the dutch hammocks!

Could you recommend some underquilts that are worth buying that doesn't have such a long lead time?

PS, why does a ridgeline help hang angle?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowplow View Post
    PS, why does a ridgeline help hang angle?
    I'll offer up this.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks Shug, coincidentally I've been in sector 7 most of the day watching your videos

This hammock stuff is really confusing.....

So it looks like I can get duck down or goose down,

then a 40 degree rating with 800 loft,

or a 40 degree rating with 950 loft.

I dont get it. What's up with the loft and Goose v. Duck if they have the same temp rating?!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowplow View Post
    Thanks Shug, coincidentally I've been in sector 7 most of the day watching your videos

This hammock stuff is really confusing.....

So it looks like I can get duck down or goose down,

then a 40 degree rating with 800 loft,

or a 40 degree rating with 950 loft.

I dont get it. What's up with the loft and Goose v. Duck if they have the same temp rating?!
    Goose...duck....just options I reckon. I always go with goose down. It has a higher fill power Usually 850.....http://www.standardfiber.com/materia...cs/duck-goose/
    Yes, hammocks can be confusing as there is a lot to it. Take a breath and focus on one thing at a time. Get the hammock hung properly first.
    Go from there. Enjoy it. It will come in time and you'll wish you could start new again.
    Carry forth.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast