Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You have definitely opened a can of worms with this thread! Let it begin...

Less money on the hammock, more money on tarp and insulation.

You can buy a standard gathered end hammock in the $30 - $40 range without bugnet

$200 - $300 for an UQ

$70 for a tarp (kelty noah 12') (and don't anybody boohoo this tarp) it's the absolute best bang for the buck and it has doors! In the below picture we had pads from our tent days so we were only out the money for the tarp and Dutch hammocks. Got in the 30's in this picture.

20160513_153821.jpg20160514_185727.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I agree with those that say spend the bigger $$ on the insulation and weather protection over a hammock. My biggest single comfort improvement was moving away from pads and towards quilts.

I also fall under the "buy nice or buy twice" rationale. If you bought something cheap to get by and then later replace it with what you really wanted in the first place, haven't you spent way more than you would have if you bought what you wanted the first time? I understand you have to stay within a budget so maybe waiting until you can get it all is the cheaper option?
    Last edited by TPole; 07-28-2016 at 09:06.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Bottom insulation would be my top priority for one high dollar item; below freezing and safety is a concern. A tarp is essential, the kelty above gives a lot of coverage at a fair price. The BooHoo is that it's heavy and I've never seen one (or a picture of one) pitched tight. If you have a down or synthetic mummy bag already then there's no need to buy a top quilt until you're looking to trim pack weight. I was comfortable into the 20s with a 20 degree underquilt and a cheap 40 degree mummy bag.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TiedUp View Post
    You have definitely opened a can of worms with this thread! Let it begin...

Less money on the hammock, more money on tarp and insulation.

You can buy a standard gathered end hammock in the $30 - $40 range without bugnet

$200 - $300 for an UQ

$70 for a tarp (kelty noah 12') (and don't anybody boohoo this tarp) it's the absolute best bang for the buck and it has doors! In the below picture we had pads from our tent days so we were only out the money for the tarp and Dutch hammocks. Got in the 30's in this picture.

20160513_153821.jpg20160514_185727.jpg
    I couldn't agree more. I would suggest a Dutch 11ft hammock from www.dutchwaregear.com. If the temps are in the 20's I doubt you will need to worry about bugs so a bug net isn't a necessity right then. Go with a quality UQ and TQ now. Loco Libre makes awesome stuff.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    My perspective is a little different. IMO most hammocks (10-11 ft made out of decent material) are already comfortable
    Yup, that's what I'm saying too.
    Avoid the temptation of seemingly cheap hammocks online and in the big box stores. I'm an advocate of a simple hammock, making your own is very easy, but might be intimidating to a beginner. A 11' Dutchware single layer is a good middle ground.
    Advice to the OP could be more focused if we knew a bit more about their situation and the money they have available. If they only had a hundred bucks to spare, then the advice would be very different to that if they had $300.
    Down is a great option (one I have indulged in myself). Great for lightweight packs and long distances, but money could be more effectively spent, if the OP's priorities were different.
    If you are car camping, or just walking a short way, then a builder's tarp, a tablecloth hammock, a pad, PLUQ or DIY quilt (hanging a sleeping bag under) well get you out there for $50.
    And, what camping gear do they already have a hand?

--
    Gadget

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowplow View Post
    planned on getting a Dream Hammock Dangerbird and Snugpak over and underquilts
    So, that's $250 -$300.
    You could get a Dutchware 11' single layer, teamed with a fronkey bugnet and suspension for $40 cheaper than similarly specc'ed Dangerbird. You could save yourself another $70 if you were brave enough to DIY it.
    Now the Snugpack combo will set you back $120 - $140, add the $40 you could save on the hammock and you are getting close to the money you'd need for a decent down UQ
    Top quilts are nice, but a reasonably warm sleeping bag will suffice (any self respecting outdoorsy type will have some sleeping bags lying about).
    Of course, this hasn't addressed the issue of a tarp.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I went with the $ on the hammock and cheap on the tarp and underquilt, but I could see going the other way too. If I didn't like my WB Blackbird, then that would be a waste of $. However, I love it so far. I knew for sure I didn't want to go all cheap system because I'd probably replace it later anyway. For now, I have a cheap Yukon tarp (really need more coverage) and I bough the Snugpak UQ recently, so I should be able to get by in the fall. I think for Christmas, I'll ask for a 0 degree UQ and I'm hoping to sew my own tarp, hopefully a winter tarp.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have about 150 to spend currently. So I suppose I should buy a hammock. I can spend about 250 for an underquilt later this year and use a sleeping bag for a top quilt this year.

I really like the hammocks with a top cover to help with the dew and wind. What kind of options do I have? I also would love a camo or woodland color. I dont know if I can handle electric blue

On the other hand I would love to have a simple super light weight basic hammock to keep in my day pack (kinda for emegencies). So if there is a good option there that I could use this year for elk camp it wouldn't be a waste. I also want two in the end so my wife has one.

I'll look into the dutchware...

Images
    What do you mean by top cover?
    A tarp, or a bugnet?
    Because you haven't mentioned it before, I assumed you already had a tarp.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I'd say bottom quilt first. Tablecloth hammocks and both affordable and comfortable, even the best hammock is going to be miserable if you've got a cold back all night, go for the insulation first.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast