diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I hair-tie 'em and then bag 'em.....
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I started out with both skins and a sack. Lately I have just been using the skins and putting the tarp in the outside mesh pocket on my pack. I hang the tarp every time and just leave it in the skins if no threat of rain. Or deployed in porch mode to keep the pine needles or other stuff from falling into my hammock.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Quote Originally Posted by xrayit View Post
    I bought three sets in Multicam from this vendor,great skins and a steal at this price. Actually makes my tarp easier to pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hammock-Tarp...sAAOSwM4xXbXpe

I have bought skins from this guy and am amazed with the quality and the price. For a tarp you have to buy a larger width skin, since you will probably try to stuff more tarp bulk into the skins than you would with a hammock. I bought the 4.5 inch single sleeve skin at first, but on the first rainy night that I had to get the tarp set up, I had trouble getting the whole 12 foot length pulled off the tarp. I now have the same sleeve length in a two piece sleeve, so that you pull half from one end and half from the other end, like the original Hennessy snake skins I use for my hammock. The two piece skins are easier to use. I like the skins to keep the tarp itself from dragging on the ground.

After I have pulled the skins over the tarp, I can roll up the skinned tarp into a nice compact package. If the tarp line is hanging out I can use that to wrap up the rolled skinned tarp, easy to carry, put into a pack, or even to put into a stuff sack. I use a Kelty Noah 12, so the final rolled skinned tarp is big. But I can put it in a top compartment of my pack for easy retrieval.

I am also indebted to Derek Hanson for my tarp tie outs. I used one of his diagrams from his web site on how to hang a tarp, and found it really simplified my methods.

This vendor is only on EBAY, as far as I know, but I think if you contact him through email, he will work with you on what you want. He makes stuff sacks and snake skins, but does not always have the two piece skins for sale. It is like he makes some stuff, waits for people to buy that batch of stuff, and then makes more and lists what he has. But I think if you contact him, you can come to a meeting of the minds.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    thank you all for your replies. based on the number of you that have responded, I see that I'm not alone with my dilemma. (I was a little worried about that...)

maybe I'd like the snake skins better if they were a different kind. I have the HH XL and I'm not really a fan. they're too long for my 11" tarp, it seems like they hold air and are hard to compress, and they've got the rubbery side of the fabric on the outside so they don't slide either against themselves or each other or into a pocket and that makes them difficult to pack.

I sent the eBay dude and email so I'll give that a shot and maybe find something I like.

again, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    thank you all for your replies. based on the number of you that have responded, I see that I'm not alone with my dilemma. (I was a little worried about that...)

maybe I'd like the snake skins better if they were a different kind. I have the HH XL and I'm not really a fan. they're too long for my 11" tarp, it seems like they hold air and are hard to compress, and they've got the rubbery side of the fabric on the outside so they don't slide either against themselves or each other or into a pocket and that makes them difficult to pack.

I sent the eBay dude and email so I'll give that a shot and maybe find something I like.

again, thanks...
    I recently started using the HH Snake Skins. I've gone from a couple different stuff sacks and compression sacks. The skins seem to work best for me. My tarp (Kelty Noah 12) rolls up just fine. I roll up the snake skins like a giant cinnamon roll and stuff it in my outer mesh pocket on my pack.

I would spend a little more time practicing rolling your tarp into the skins. It took me a couple times to get a system down. There are a bunch of Youtube videos too that show slight variations in rolling the tarp into the skins. I would keep practicing for a bit before you give up on them completely.

As far as the length, I'm not entirely sure they are too long. They should overlap a bit at the middle. After rolling it up a couple times, the overlap isn't an issue.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I skin my tarp too. If your skins fit tight they won't roll or pack well.
    In fair weather I usually hang the tarp and keep the skins on and decide later on whether to deploy the tarp or not...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Never felt the lure of snake skins. I can see the value but would probably stuff it into a sack anyway, so why bother?

Sent from East of Montauk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    As others have mentioned, the value of snakeskins comes when deploying a tarp in high winds. Of secondary importance is the convenience.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I want to thank xrayit for his eBay notice on 12' skins! I ordered one and can not express my satisfaction more! My go camp hammock w/ attached bug net, Dutch winter sock and now my new WB SF tarp all fit in this one skin every easy off and on. I suggested pockets to Daniel, who makes this skin, and to my surprise he sent me a FREE skin w/ pockets! One small for whoopie w/biners and the other a little bigger that can store my stakes also! The workmanship is great and so is the products. I own two other sets of 2 piece skins that I've never really liked so don't use. I love this single 12' snake. Do yourself a favor and check him out! You won't find a better price!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    I want to thank xrayit for his eBay notice on 12' skins! I ordered one and can not express my satisfaction more! My go camp hammock w/ attached bug net, Dutch winter sock and now my new WB SF tarp all fit in this one skin every easy off and on. I suggested pockets to Daniel, who makes this skin, and to my surprise he sent me a FREE skin w/ pockets! One small for whoopie w/biners and the other a little bigger that can store my stakes also! The workmanship is great and so is the products. I own two other sets of 2 piece skins that I've never really liked so don't use. I love this single 12' snake. Do yourself a favor and check him out! You won't find a better price!
    Thanks for the Thanks, glad it worked out for you! The only thing to improve my Daniel snake skins was to remove the Para cord and large locks and replace them with lash it and micro locks from dutch. Kinda jealous I didn’t think about the pocket addition.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast