Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I have a month in my Robic XL 1.0 and prior over a yr in the 1.1 WB Traveler all with Zero issues.
    But I am only at 140lbs wet.
    I think pushing 180-200lbs and over one is asking for a much higher chance of failure. Under 160lbs no worries at all, but don't sleep with sharp objects.
    I have used a sleeping bag in the Traveler without issues for the better part of the yr. (I'm full time Hammock sleeper)

Bottom line with more weight equals more stress on the fabric so don't go ultralight if your not ultralight...choose accordingly.

For Vendors its not worth the screening and or resulting returns or complaints from people not being wise in there choice
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I am ~230 lbs and now have 10+ nights in my DIY Robic XL hammock. The talk of failures has me thinking about changing. I sure wouldn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere with a failure.

Can anyone talk about the kinds of failures that have occurred? Would like to know what to look for.

Thanks,
    Pappy

Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie
    Hello. I belive some failure is buttons/zipppers on pants and people using their fingers to push their self out of the hammock.much pressure in one spot. Seen alot of videos on youtube people are doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    We are no longer offer single layer hammocks in any of the 1.0 or 1.1oz fabrics. Too many damaged and/or broken hammocks.
    Yeah, sorry about that, but I think the resulting policy is a wise one and for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by naticen View Post
    Any tips for people that already have a single 1.0? Does the damage seem come from people laying in it with stuff in their pockets like keys or knife or maybe just jumping in rather than relaxing in? Or just an all around bad idea?
    My girlfriend, who hardly weighs a 110 pounds, had a single layer 1.0 HyperD hammock. After some use, we noticed three small holes around the butt area.

DSC_0026.jpg

How they happened we do not know. I would simply be super careful and have nothing even remotely sharp come to contact with the fabric - a belt's end tip if it's metal, zippers on clothes or a sleeping bag etc.

I have a Darien that I received back in May that ended up with very small pinholes in the area above my right shoulder. Nothing should have rubbed on this area, so I am not really sure what could have caused it. Spoke with PapaSmurf via email about it and he suggested some good options for repair.

IMG_2258.JPG

Hammock
    WBBB, SLD TL
    Tarp
    HG, WB, SLD
    Insulation
    Leighlo, HG
    Suspension
    dutch, slitline
    I weigh in at 225, and ripped right through the 1.0 robic on my 3rd hang in it. It tore just above my head. It wasn't the brand workmanship, nor the stitching. Definitely a fabric issue/flaw. I took several pics of the rip, and RBTR promptly replaced the fabric. Excellent customer service. I opted for a heavier fabric after that. I see no need to disclose the maker of the hammock, as they had nothing to do with the issue. It wasn't a DH.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Anybody had the Robic fail when used in a double layer hammock?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a SL Robic Sparrow and a SL Robic Freebird. I weigh about 250 and have spent over 30+ nights in each of them with no ill effect, BUT I take very good care of my gear. I never lay in a hammock if i have zippers on me, and the only thing that ever goes in my hammock with me is my TQ. In warm weather i am in my boxers and a light shirt, in cold weather then just a base layer.

I think, but Randy would need to speak on this more himself, is this is a repeat of the 1.0 ripstop problem of about 2 years ago. People are buying it for the light weight and either 1, exceeding the weight drastically ( i know of a person who is close to 400# using a 1.0 HyperD freebird and I cringe every time i see him hanging in it) or 2, not taking care of their gear properly/hanging near under brush. The last time this happened, people (thru-hikers in many cases) were buying 1.0 fabric hammocks and not treating them like the LW fabric they are. As robust as Robic is, it still needs to be treated as a LW fabric and handled accordingly.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12