DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    My wife and I hang under a Noah's 12 using the Dbl hooks/spreader bar. I typically pitch my tarp pretty high anyway, but there is room to lower it some in our case. We also use the 36" bar, I hadn't thought about shortening it but might give that a try.

It does help to have a wider tree on the head end if at all possible.

Keep working at it, you'll get it figured out!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    My wife and I hang under a Noah's 12 using the Dbl hooks/spreader bar.
    +1 on the Noah 12. We had trouble when line to tree was short, but I adjusted (shortened footer line) and it worked well. Still a bit of see saw but not enough to prevent either of use from getting in/out.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Just to add another thought. When you go narrower on the spreader bar, it pretty much becomes necessary for both to lay right or left, not opposite. We're small so maybe we have greater leeway than those larger than us, but at about 36" we can lay which ever way we want, while 30" and below we have to both go the same direction, otherwise the shoulder contact gets old real fast.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Just to add another thought. When you go narrower on the spreader bar, it pretty much becomes necessary for both to lay right or left, not opposite. We're small so maybe we have greater leeway than those larger than us, but at about 36" we can lay which ever way we want, while 30" and below we have to both go the same direction, otherwise the shoulder contact gets old real fast.

I thought that might be the case. During my trial, my daughter and I did lay opposite. We weren't quite touching with the 36" spreader bar. I'll try cutting a little at a time to dial it in.

I like the speaker bar protector. That looks like cheap insurance for the tarp. I'm using a diy hex cat cut tarp. I spent enough time making it, I would hate to poke a hole in it with the spreader bar tip.

Of course this whole conversation is pointless if I can't get someone to camp with me! I've got my solo setup fairly well dialed in, but I'm still tinkering with it as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. If this storm blows over I may set it up tonight with the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by one80 View Post
    I thought that might be the case. During my trial, my daughter and I did lay opposite. We weren't quite touching with the 36" spreader bar. I'll try cutting a little at a time to dial it in.

I like the speaker bar protector. That looks like cheap insurance for the tarp. I'm using a diy hex cat cut tarp. I spent enough time making it, I would hate to poke a hole in it with the spreader bar tip.

Of course this whole conversation is pointless if I can't get someone to camp with me! I've got my solo setup fairly well dialed in, but I'm still tinkering with it as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. If this storm blows over I may set it up tonight with the tarp.
    Good luck getting your wife out to hang with you. If it would help her to hear a woman's perspective my wife has shared some of her experiences on our blog, the link is in my sig. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My wife and I hang under a Noah's 12 using the Dbl hooks/spreader bar. I typically pitch my tarp pretty high anyway, but there is room to lower it some in our case. We also use the 36" bar, I hadn't thought about shortening it but might give that a try.

It does help to have a wider tree on the head end if at all possible.

Keep working at it, you'll get it figured out!
    I was able to set the double up on Saturday after a solo hang on Friday night. I used the same trees that I used the first time I set up the double. I made sure to keep the straps as far apart as possible and I didn't have the problems I experienced the first time. Squidmark was correct, the distance between the trees has less to do with a good setup than the distance between the tree straps.

My wife and I spent Sunday afternoon snoozing in the hammocks. I did have to pitch both sides on the head end of the tarp in porch mode to keep the tarp away from the spreader bars. It worked great for good weather, probably not so much if there is blowing rain. I probably could have gotten it a little higher and brought the sides down some, but not enough for good coverage. Looks like another DIY project for a wider tarp to get better coverage. I'm always looking for an excuse to make something.

Good luck getting your wife out to hang with you. If it would help her to hear a woman's perspective my wife has shared some of her experiences on our blog, the link is in my sig. Happy hanging!
    I've been reading your blog and watched some the videos. Thanks for the effort you put into that. I'm coming into this with a similar perspective. I've had two of the kids out for a two night trip on the Knobstone trail in southern IN. I hope to finish the trail with them later this fall, maybe get the wife to go along as well. We'll see.

Thanks for all the responses.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Thanks One80. Have fun out on the trail!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12