Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Double whoopie hook question

I (my wife) just finished my second gathered end hammock and I was excited to try out the Dutch double whoopie hooks I've had for a while. I set up both hammocks with 15" continuous loops on the head end with the double whoopie hooks connecting to whoopie slings and tree straps. Foot ends have whoopie slings connected to tree straps. Everything looks great with no one in either hammock. When the first person gets in one hammock the second hammock raises in the air. The picture isn't all that great but the bottom of the second hammock is about even with the ridge line of the occupied hammock.

With my daughter in first, I was able to get in an even out the heights. If she got up in the night I don't think she would be able to get back in without me getting out first.

I've watched the Dutch video and some from Johnspenn so I know these things work. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

One80
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by one80; 07-25-2016 at 21:17.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Pic is not showing up.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I edited the original post to include the picture but I can't figure out how to rotate it.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    What is the length of the spreader bar? Do you think it could have been less? The shorter the pole the less the seesaw effect.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I've found that when you have a ridgeline on your hammock when you use the Dutch Doubles and spreader bar, it causes the hammock to ride higher, especially unoccupied. So far my wife and I haven't had any problems getting in/out though. Keep tuning your setup and take plenty of pics, I'm sure someone here will be able to figure out what's going on.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Make certain the shorter persons tree strap is the one underneath the other. Keep as close as possible of course. Also watch that one strap doesn't slip more than the other once fully weighted.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm using a 36" spreader bar. I can see why a shorter bar would produce less seesaw. I'll add a shorter spreader bar to my next bling order.

I didn't pay attention to which strap was on top. They were probably 6-8" apart.

I'm wondering if the spacing on the trees makes a big difference. My favorite trees to hang from are fairly close together. I had the whoopie slings adjusted almost all the way in and they were attached to the tree straps very close to the trees. I'll try hanging from different trees this evening if the weather cooperates to see if that helps any.

I'm really hoping I can get this dialed in. That will be the best chance I have of getting my wife to try it. Two of my three kids are now sleeping in hammocks every night in the house. They are both a couple months ahead of me in the 12 day challenge. 6 down, 6 to go.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'm not sure the distance from the tree makes too much difference, but you should try to use the largest diameter tree for the head end and spread the strap/whoopie connections as far apart as is practical. If nothing else it should reduce stress on the bar.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    So I was able to do another test hang last night with trees that are further apart. I think that helped some. My assistant is 70 lbs lighter than me and she was able to get in her hammock after me. That wouldn't have happened the first test.

Both trees I was using are forked so I was able to try every combination of straps close together and straps farther apart at both or either ends. The moral of the story is that there is less rise of the spreader bar with straps farther apart at both ends.

I haven't had a chance to try the tarp over the pair yet. It looks like I'm going to have to pitch it fairly high to clear both suspensions and allow for the rise in the spreader bar. I currently have 36" long spreader bar. I'll get a 25" bar on the next bling order.

Does anyone else have any issues getting a tarp over a pair? What length spreader bars are you using?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    You'll likely find 25" too close. You can just cut the female bar you have. Go in small increments, like an inch. Mine is 30.5". I started out with two 12.5" but then decided to get an 18" male. I figured I'd settle on about 28" but found the 30.5 was just about right for us.

You might consider making a pair of spreader bar tarp protectors

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast