I got a XLC and went with the whoopies for weight/space savings while backpacking and agree that messing around with hanging the tree straps, then the toggles, and then adjusting the whoopie length can be annoying. I want to rig something up so the suspension can be hung quick and easy like with the standard D-straps. I am a fan of the simplicity of hanging your hammock with the WB standard straps, but not a fan of the space they take up so here is my plan.

1) Tree Straps: I bought some climbing-biners (CAMP Nano's!) with the idea that instead of using them to connect the tree strap loop to the whoopie loop, I can put them on the far end of the tree straps so I can now hang the tree straps like you would with the standard D-straps. Just whip the biner around the the tree and clip to itself rather than wrap the tree strap around the tree and then thread it through the other loop. Also, on smaller trees, you can wrap the tree strap around two or three times to shorten the total hang distance between trees.

2A) Permanent Toggles: somehow make the toggle permanent instead of a loose stick that can fall out of the tree strap loop. I currently use ~.25" diameter aluminum tubes (from my tent pole repair kit) that I cut to 2" lengths and I want to make it held in place in the tree strap loop. I also want to attach the whoopie loop to the toggle such that it can still slide when I need to adjust the whoopie length. I toyed with running string through the toggle (remember it is a tent tube) and tying the string in a loop...this keeps the toggle tethered to the tree strap, but it doesn't tether the whoopie that well and it still slides side to side.

2B) Even better - link the whoopie loop directly through tree strap loop to just eliminate the toggle altogether! I'd have to cut the bury off the whoopie, slide through the adjustable chinese-finger-trap bit, loop the whoopie rope directly through the tree strap loop, then thread the rope back through the fingertrap bit, and tie a knot to prevent it from backing out. This will eliminate the toggle altogether and the whoopie can still slide back and forth in the tree strap loop to be adjusted. However, I'm not sure if this is ideal for the whoopie or the tree strap since the whoopie will will be pinched at a sharp angle and the tree strap will scrunch up when the system is loaded. Any insight to this would be much appreciated!

In summary - this would make a continuous loop system without adding a bunch of hardware. Hammock - whoopie sling - whoopie loop interlocked with tree strap loop - tree strap - carabiner. It will keep all the pieces together, less fumbling around in bad weather or losing a toggle in leaves, allow for greater variability in hang-length, and possibly act as a water break. I will post some pictures when I get it sorted out and again, any insight would be great!

Keep on hangin'