Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies

SLD Winter Haven, UGQ Winter Dream or WB Superfly?

Ok I just ordered a WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL with winter cover.
    Was going to order the Superfly at the same time but started looking around. I had a superfly but never used it so don't know much about it except its easy to setup lol.
    I used a DD 4x4 and was great but gave it to a friend.
    I been wanting a 12' tarp with attached doors and ready for external poles. My choices came down to the Simply Light Designs Winter Haven, UGQ Winter Dream and the Superfly.
    The furst 2 can be bought with pole mods and the superfly cannot. It would be a DIY mod.
    That made me decide between the First 2 choices. Winter haven and winter dream.
    For the Winter Haven I can't decide on Cat cut or strait edge with extra tie outs.
    The Winter dream similar. Both priced about the same with everything.

SLD has low wait time and UGQ says 4-6 weeks wait on their site. I don't mind the waiting.

I plan on using this specific tarp in cold weather so want most protection as possible and from pictures the Winter haven looks like it offers that.
    I will order a superfly for general use and will get an underquilt.

Of those tarps which would you say has most protection from wind?
    Is there other tarps I should be looking at that has The option to add poles easily? I have no seeing skills so thats not an option. Lol.
    The more I read the worst it gets. Now I'm just undecided. Maybe just buy all 3 and see which I like best. Ya right!!!

Thanks to all.
    Last edited by AngryDaddyBird; 07-20-2016 at 02:24.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryDaddyBird View Post
    Ok I just ordered a WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL with winter cover.
    Was going to order the Superfly at the same time but started looking around. I had a superfly but never used it so don't know much about it except its easy to setup lol.
    I used a DD 4x4 and was great but gave it to a friend.
    I been wanting a 12' tarp with attached doors and ready for external poles. My choices came down to the Simply Light Designs Winter Haven, UGO Winter Dream and the Superfly.
    The furst 2 can be bought with pole mods and the superfly cannot. It would be a DIY mod.
    That made me decide between the First 2 choices. Winter haven and winter dream.
    For the Winter Haven I can't decide on Cat cut or strait edge with extra tie outs.
    The Winter dream similar. Both priced about the same with everything.

SLD has low wait time and UGO says 4-6 weeks wait on their site. I don't mind the waiting.

I plan on using this specific tarp in cold weather so want most protection as possible and from pictures the Winter haven looks like it offers that.
    I will order a superfly for general use and will get an underquilt.

Of those tarps which would you say has most protection from wind?
    Is there other tarps I should be looking at that has The option to add poles easily? I have no seeing skills so thats not an option. Lol.
    The more I read the worst it gets. Now I'm just undecided. Maybe just buy all 3 and see which I like best. Ya right!!!

Thanks to all.
    I have never owned a SLD tarp yet have heard alot of good things about them.
    I have several pieces of gear from UGQ'S and each one of them is awesome top of the line gear.
    I have used a friend of mine's Winter Dream for a week long trip once and it was a great tarp, held up thru a pretty brutal rain storm without any issues and imo i would go with the UGQ'S Winter Dream, they are great to work with and make very nice gear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thats 1 for the UGQ. Glad to hear your great experience with them.
    Last edited by AngryDaddyBird; 07-20-2016 at 02:25.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I own a couple of Simply Light Design tarps, and Jared's Winter Haven is at the top of my hammock gear wish list, so I'll offer in brief my opinion on SLD weather protection...

The craftsmanship and quality on my SLD tarps is obvious; every aspect of the design is well thought out to the smallest detail, and even my skimpy ultralight Simplicity Asym mates up perfectly with my SLD Trail Lair to keep it nice and dry. Each tarp is broadly customizable with a range of options to suit your needs. (The Winter Haven comes in two cuts, three lengths, and three widths, with a plethora of fabric choices and tie-out options.) I've had great experiences purchasing from Jared. In short, you'll NEVER be unhappy with an SLD tarp if you decide to go that route, and you'll be counting your time to delivery in hours rather than days or weeks...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-19-2016 at 18:32.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I have the SLD Winter Haven in SilPoly (ie no stretch like SilNylon) with the pole mod and love it. Works perfectly with my Warbonnet Ridgerunner. Jared at SLD is a top notch guy and stands behind his product with superior service. I needed the pull outs moved to match the Warbonnet and he did that at the last minute. Ordered on Saturday had the tarp in hand on Tuesday.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HGdcf, SLDwinterhv
    Insulation
    WBlynx, HGburrow
    Suspension
    Dutch daisy chain
    Images
    I have the SLD Winter Haven in SilPoly.
    It has never failed to keep the elements out or in. My choice.
    Jared is a wizard with craftsmanship, service, and resourcefulness.

I'm a big fan of Jared at SLD and have been doing business with him since got started. I have 3 of his tarps, including beta 1 of the Trail Haven, a simplicity asym and a 12 foot Winter Haven. There are numerous threads on SLD in the "other vendors" and "reviews". I also own many of his accessories and a few of his hammocks. First of all, he is IMO, one of the fastest, if not the fastest vendor you'll ever have the pleasure of doing business with. He's a stickler for details and his quality is amazing. If you place an order, chances are you'll have a shipping notice within 24-48 hours, If not sooner.

Now, back to the Winter Haven. Mine is the 12 foot version, cat cut (highly recommended), and it has the pole mod. I diy'd my own but my hanging buddys have Jared's poles on their 13 and 14 foot monster sized winter havens. I've been through all types of weather with mine, but it is the only tarp I use for camping during Michigan's winter season. If you go to the SLD website and look at the gallery photos, you'll see some great pics of them in action.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I have an SLD Winter Haven in silnylon. It is the best of many excellent tarps that I own from the cottage vendors.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I own a couple of Simply Light Design tarps, and Jared's Winter Haven is at the top of my hammock gear wish list, so I'll offer in brief my opinion on SLD weather protection...

The craftsmanship and quality on my SLD tarps is obvious; every aspect of the design is well thought out to the smallest detail, and even my skimpy ultralight Simplicity Asym mates up perfectly with my SLD Trail Lair to keep it nice and dry. Each tarp is broadly customizable with a range of options to suit your needs. (The Winter Haven comes in two cuts, three lengths, and three widths, with a plethora of fabric choices and tie-out options.) I've had great experiences purchasing from Jared. In short, you'll NEVER be unhappy with an SLD tarp if you decide to go that route, and you'll be counting your time to delivery in hours rather than days or weeks...
    Thats 1 for SLD. Its actually my first choice!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmem View Post
    I have the SLD Winter Haven in SilPoly.
    It has never failed to keep the elements out or in. My choice.
    Jared is a wizard with craftsmanship, service, and resourcefulness.
    +2 SLD.
    Can you post a picture of it if you can?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast