Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A first hammock

Question A first hammock

So, I recently decided I want to try out hammocks. I have watched quite a few videos, read articles and other posts about them. From all I've discovered, hammocks seem pretty awesome and I think I would enjoy them. However, I can't fully decide if I would like them or not because I have never used one.

I was thinking of getting a cheap hammock for my first hammock, so if I don't care for it I wouldn't have invested a lot of money in it. Or, should I invest a bit more so if I do enjoy it, I won't have some cheap hammock that isn't likely to last a long time? Because from past experience with other things, you usually get what you pay for. So I was wondering what I should do for a first hammock, something cheap or a little bit more pricey. What hammocks would you guys recommend?

I should also mention I'm about 6'2" and around 200 lbs because, from what I can tell height and weight are important when choosing a hammock. I have tried searching for ideas for a good first hammock but, wasn't able to find anything that was helpful for me.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    The difference between a cheap hammock, and a good hammock, is often only a few bucks. If you're not sure about hammocks, I'd spend just a little bit and get a decent one.

Dutchware sells great hammocks, and they aren't expensive. A normal 11 foot hammock is about $42, plus shipping, compare that with a typical cheap hammock which is about $25. The cheap hammock will be shorter, made with a less desirable material.

You'll still need suspension for any hammock you buy. Figure another $20-40 for suspension.

If you buy everything from Dutchware, and don't like it, you can easily sell it on these forums and only lose a few bucks. It'll be harder to sell a cheap hammock.

Glad to see you're doing research. Remember the difference between a good and bad experience in a hammock is often insulation. You'll need a pad, or better yet an underquilt for temps below about 70 degrees. Since you've been watching videos, I'm sure you've come across this.

Welcome to the forums, don't be afraid to ask questions, I've learned so much in the last year or so here, hope you enjoy hammocks as much as me.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Cheap rarely equates to a pleasant hammock experience, short and narrow seems to be the norm. Plenty of vendors on here that sell inexpensive, QUALITY hammocks, poke around their sites a bit.

My recommendation is this http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/133. 11' Argon 1.6 is my go to, Hexon 1.0 would fit you as well and is cottony soft. You can get everything you need there should you choose to

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Define "cheap" hammock, please.

I'd recommend starting with a simple no-net 11' or 12' hammock; Dutch has been mentioned - here are a couple more choices:

Each of these hammocks is fairly inexpensive but good quality. And any should sell easily here on the forum with only a small loss if you find that hammocks are not your thing.

Thanks guys for your replies. I will check all of these out later today when I have the time.

Also, when I first thought about hammocks it was for summer camping and I was really surprised when I discovered hammocks are also great for winter camping as well.

What would you guys suggest for suspension? I know there are several options, but not sure the advantages and disadvantages of each.
    Last edited by Pqp239; 07-19-2016 at 05:16.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner / Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    12oz curls
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    I was in your same spot not too long ago & the choices can be overwhelming to say the least. One thing I would suggest is to go make an afternoon of watching Shug on Youtube. He won't tell you what the "best" suspension, hammock, whatever is but he will give you a great look at how the different things work. You can also check out The Ultimate Hang- theultimatehang.com
    As a fellow noob that site has a ton of awesome info

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Agree with start with a no bug net 11' hammock as mentioned above
    It is summer time so very easy to test hang with little to no insulation required to see if it works
    Suspension Whoopies or Webbing seems the simplist
    Bug net go Fronkey style or variation of
    If your a DIY kinda person check out Ripstopbytheroll.com

In reality there is no right or wrong just what works for you so pick a spot and dive in. Then let it evolve as you learn what works or does not for you
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I went from an ENO singlenest that I found in a store, to a Butt in a Sling (BIAS) 11' hammock, and the difference was amazing. I later ordered a bug net from BIAS, and I still have absolutely no complaints about that system. It is lightweight, durable, and best of all, comfortable!

I recently ordered a DreamHammock Sparrow, and can't wait to get that baby in my hands! It is more expensive, and not what I would call a beginner set up, but take a look at Dream Hammock. They have a few simple hammocks that have great reviews. In fact, I doubt you could go wrong with any of the cottage vendors you find on these forums. Cave Creek Hammocks look great to me, and I might have to order one before too long.

Images
    Good advice already given.

Welcome to the site and enjoy.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Define "cheap" hammock, please.

I'd recommend starting with a simple no-net 11' or 12' hammock; Dutch has been mentioned - here are a couple more choices:

Each of these hammocks is fairly inexpensive but good quality. And any should sell easily here on the forum with only a small loss if you find that hammocks are not your thing.
    Ever been in a Streamliner?? The design lends itself really well to the new hanger. There is no searching for the "sweet spot". It's right there when you get as diagonal as the hammock allows. No wall of fabric, or the need for Knotty mods to eliminate it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast