Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I started with my daughters Brother XL-2600i and it worked just fine and actually I didn't even have to fiddle with it.
    I picked up an old Kenmore and a not as old singer in a package deal off clist for 20.00 and stopped using the daughters Brother. I enjoy using the old Kenmore the most but it also required the most fiddle factor.

If you already have access to a machine, use it. If you don't like the look of the older ones, get one you like.

Just start telling people you are looking at getting a sewing machine, a good friend or family member might just give you one they thought they were going to use some years ago and now just takes up space.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    various
    I work for a company that makes and sells life support equipment so we have a variety of machines for light to heavy sewing. The best machine is one you learn the quirks of and use to get the results you are happy with for your projects. Its a trial and error deal but its pretty easy and satisifying. Just dig in do it. Let me know if I could be of assistance.
    Blue Skies and Cool Rides
    Dave

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I use the White brand machine my wife got with Green Stamps and it still works great. If I am into a project near Mothers Day or mid January (my mother's birthday) I'll use the 1956 Singer she used for many years before she passed. My skills pale in comparison but I like the connection.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We have a few.

Actually just got in another Juki commercial machine yesterday....spent way to much of the way getting it unpacked and set up. They are a beast, came packed on a pallet and was only 200 pounds all together with the table, motor and machine head.

Another new machine is supposed to get here today...bit smaller one for straps. Now that will be on a dedicated machine so we don't have to do any switching back and forth.

Upgrading some of our equipment in the shop

I am also looking at another machine for another project but that one might be a ways out.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I have currently 11 machines (and no time to sew):

1x Anker (~1930 swing shuttle machine)
    6x Singer (~1947 - ~1965)
    2x Meister ZZ (1950, ~1960)
    1x Victoria (~1975)
    1x Phönix (1979)

I got some machines for free and for no single machine I spend more than 25 Euro. I serviced or repaired them all. All operate well. Some are in very good condition, like new. When I have time I will sell them again and make some profit. I think about 500 Euro are possible. But most important for me, I learnt a lot. I need only one or two machines for home sewing purposes. It is not easy for me to decide which one I should keep. According to my view the best ones of my machines were build during the years 1950 to 1960 and those machines were high-precision machines still build for the eternity. One can see, feel and even hear it.

I have a Singer 201 (1947) for straight stitch sewing, another 201 (1940) set up with a b/h attachment for the occasional buttonhole (garment sewing), and a Necchi BU Mira (1954) for any zigzagging. If I am running thin material, I have a walking foot (even feed) set up on a Singer 500A (1960) to assist with the task of keeping the fabric layers even.

I hope that helps.

John Thomas in NC

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I have a Singer 4434 which has been more than enough for DIY items. Got a 4432 first, and it also is great, but, have learned to use more of the features, and the 4434 does quite a bit more. Both were around $200 new. Never had the least bit of problems with either, but the machines have had a problem from time to time with ME! I just forget something once in a while, and it gets jammed up, but is always uncomplicated to un-do, and has never caused any maladjustment. But, the most fun is my Singer Pro Surger. Also not expensive, it gives clothing items a great finished look. I had a Singer made in 1960, and a Kenmore made in 1975, but would not go back, there's much less problems with the new technology. Even so, I can't resist "saving" a sewing machine someone put out on the curb for free.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    I use a singer 401 for most of my stuff, a Pfaff 360 for stuff sacks and a Kenmore 1.2 amp for straps.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I mostly use an inexpensive Brother machine, but I do have a 1947 electric (could easily be converted to a treadle, but why) Singer, that is a great backup: only sews a straight stitch, but to perfection; does do backtacks and has adjustable stitches per inch. This machine is a beauty. All original, including the cabinet. I even got the original manual with it and all for $25 at an auction. I have had this machine for about 20 years. It still has the belt it came with and the rather old cord and plug. I do unplug it when not in use.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    FWIW most of the "improvements in the last 20 or so years has been in fancy pattern stitching not sewing quality.

Between us we have 7 machines if you include two old treadles I intend to cleame an up in my "spare time". ;-)
    We have the same # of machines & two treadle machines, I use when quilting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12