Hammock
    DIY HyperD Ripstop
    Tarp
    Silpoly 12' Hex
    Insulation
    LLG 30 Deg PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Best places to hang on the Sheltowee Trace?

The husband and I are planning a 3-4 day backpacking trip on the Sheltowee Trace sometime in September but can't decide which section to tackle. Does anyone here have a favorite chunk of trail or hanging spot they could recommend? Our initial thought was to put in around Cave Run Lake and head south to the gorge, but I also hear good things about the Cumberland Falls area. I'd love to see photos if you have 'em!

We're both in decent shape and can handle 10-13 miles a day, and we'll also have a dog with us.

Thanks all!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I'm going to start either at Cumberland or yahoo and head south. Detail Information seems hard to come by about this trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11FT Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles, CRL
    Images
    I'm actually going kayamping at cave run this weekend! I absolutely love the area. As far as hiking/camping I have exclusively stayed in the Red River Gorge area. Due to the fact that you can't camp on official trails you have to find campsites on unofficial trails that branch off sheltowee. One such place is Indian staircase, it directly off sheltowee about a half mile west of the bison way trail head. It may be tricky with a dog(I have seen a lot of people do it though) but the view once you summit is fantastic. Once on the ridge there is serveral large campsites just waiting for hammocks. Watch out for widow makers though there is some bigger trees that need to fall up there. If that doesn't work for you there is a ton of other unofficial camp sites it just takes some exploring to find. Also some of the trails that branch of sheltowee have even better views/sight

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Hey Owlbear, between Cave Run Lake and the Gorge I hear are a lot of 'road' sections patching the Sheltowee together. If your taking 2 cars and want to do a section I hear the Southern parts around the Falls and thru Big South Fork are good. If you want to do out and back type of hiking using one vehicle, just pick a section that looks interesting! The section thru the RRGorge has lots of hang options off the spur trails, I would just suggest not going there on a weekend due to the high volume of people. Good Luck!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have not hiked the whole Trace (yet). But from the sections I've done I like the southern portion. I really enjoyed everything from the Burnt Mill Bridge to Yamacraw with the exception of a short section north of Bandy Creek Campground to Laurel Creek.

It largely depends upon what you're looking for. The section the RRG will give a look at the unique terrain but, will be much more used than other sections. I think the southern section has more of a backcountry feel. And, are you staging cars our doing an out & back?

There is lots of information on the ST. First there is a Facebook Group, then there is this website http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/
    http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/
    http://www.outragegis.com/sheltowee/ for the maps
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5427184.pdf
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD Ripstop
    Tarp
    Silpoly 12' Hex
    Insulation
    LLG 30 Deg PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks to all for the input! It does seem like there's plenty of general info about the trail but not as much in the way of section/trip reports. Guess I need to plan on making one when I get back, eh?

I'm hoping we can get at least one other person to join us so we have the convenience of taking two cars, but it's good to know there are some nice side-trail loop options if that doesn't pan out. Most of my hiking buddies are backcountry enthusiasts, so I'll definitely be looking into the southern section a bit more.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlbear View Post
    ... but not as much in the way of section/trip reports.....
    I've done 3 section hikes on the ST and have posted photo albums (with captions) as trip reports. If interested, go to www.meetup.com/nashvillebackpacker Photos section. Or let me know and I'll post direct links. I've hiked it from Pickett State Park in TN (the old southern terminus) to Cumberland Falls State Park.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY HyperD Ripstop
    Tarp
    Silpoly 12' Hex
    Insulation
    LLG 30 Deg PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I've done 3 section hikes on the ST and have posted photo albums (with captions) as trip reports. If interested, go to www.meetup.com/nashvillebackpacker Photos section. Or let me know and I'll post direct links. I've hiked it from Pickett State Park in TN (the old southern terminus) to Cumberland Falls State Park.
    Nice photos Rain, thanks for sharing! The section from Yamacraw to Cumberland Falls is looking better and better with plenty of water sources. I love that your hike came with a free puppy

• + New Posts