DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images

Three Days, Two Nights on the AT- Three Forks to Neel Gap, 26 miles!

My wife and I leave Wednesday for an AT adventure. We each wrote a his/her post and put it up on our blog about our concerns and feelings on our first multi-day trip.

My post is here: https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/20...2016-his-take/

Her post is here: https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/20...2016-her-take/

Wish us luck! Go do your own hike somewhere!

See y'all when we get back!

Hammock
    DIY HyperD Ripstop
    Tarp
    Silpoly 12' Hex
    Insulation
    LLG 30 Deg PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like a fun trip, I hear it's a heck of a climb though. Be good to your knees out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well ya'll....12 miles a day is a fairly large chunk of trail right out of the box so start early, set a comfortable pace and rest when tired. Soak your feet in water. Don't get dehydrated.
    Also, I wear a knee brace always...not just waiting for my knee to start hurting. It keeps it warm and reminds me to be mindful of it. The one I wear has a patella doughnut. http://www.braceshop.com/donjoy-delu...knee-brace.htm
    Rain will slow you down but use your poncho, rainjacket or tarp to gather some rainwater. Especially on that dry stretch you mention. Don't waste the rain.

Ya'll have a good safe fun challenge out there. Be vigilant and enjoy the piney woods.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlbear View Post
    Sounds like a fun trip, I hear it's a heck of a climb though. Be good to your knees out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    I've heard the same thing. Reportedly the stretch between Hightower and Woody Gaps are some tough miles. We'll just take it easy and try not to overdo it. Thanks Owlbear!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Well ya'll....12 miles a day is a fairly large chunk of trail right out of the box so start early, set a comfortable pace and rest when tired. Soak your feet in water. Don't get dehydrated.
    Also, I wear a knee brace always...not just waiting for my knee to start hurting. It keeps it warm and reminds me to be mindful of it. The one I wear has a patella doughnut. http://www.braceshop.com/donjoy-delu...knee-brace.htm
    Rain will slow you down but use your poncho, rainjacket or tarp to gather some rainwater. Especially on that dry stretch you mention. Don't waste the rain.

Ya'll have a good safe fun challenge out there. Be vigilant and enjoy the piney woods.

Shug
    Great advice. Thanks Shug!

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post

Shug
    I'll second the "dont waist rain" quote. If it looks like there's gonna be a big thunder boomer and your up for a break, you can set a tarp up quick and fill your bottles back up. In that heat, i'd rather have more water than food.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I think the Sassafras/Justus mountain back to back combo is the toughest part of the Georgia AT. The climb up Sassafras heading north from Horse Gap on the AT is 1 mile of non-stop climbing. Then you go down into Cooper's Gap and do the same climb again up Justus.

12 miles the first day is pretty aggressive but you all sound like you have been getting ready for it.

Justus Creek aka "the Devil's Kitchen" is one of my favorite camping spots in North Georgia. I think it got that name because it gets hot and buggy in the summer but not really sure.

Once you cross the creek heading north, you will immediately see an old logging road.

If you turn left and walk down the logging road about 100 feet or so to the end, there is a small trail leading left down to the creek that is an excellent hanging spot.

The running water makes a natural air-conditioner. This is a picture of my set up there.

justus.JPG

As for lightening storms, I have been through several in my hammock including a major storm while camped out on the top of Hawk mountain last April. Other than me being able to see the lightening bolts through my closed eyelids, it wasn't scary at all. Just very bright.

Have a great hike and looking forward to a trip report afterwards.

Carl

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycobbler View Post
    I'll second the "dont waist rain" quote. If it looks like there's gonna be a big thunder boomer and your up for a break, you can set a tarp up quick and fill your bottles back up. In that heat, i'd rather have more water than food.
    It's definitely an option. We'll play it by ear. The longest waterless stretch will be the first day, which is coincedently the day with the least chance of rain. But you never know! Thanks BobbyC!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I think the Sassafras/Justus mountain back to back combo is the toughest part of the Georgia AT. The climb up Sassafras heading north from Horse Gap on the AT is 1 mile of non-stop climbing. Then you go down into Cooper's Gap and do the same climb again up Justus.

12 miles the first day is pretty aggressive but you all sound like you have been getting ready for it.

Justus Creek aka "the Devil's Kitchen" is one of my favorite camping spots in North Georgia. I think it got that name because it gets hot and buggy in the summer but not really sure.

Once you cross the creek heading north, you will immediately see an old logging road.

If you turn left and walk down the logging road about 100 feet or so to the end, there is a small trail leading left down to the creek that is an excellent hanging spot.

The running water makes a natural air-conditioner. This is a picture of my set up there.

justus.JPG

As for lightening storms, I have been through several in my hammock including a major storm while camped out on the top of Hawk mountain last April. Other than me being able to see the lightening bolts through my closed eyelids, it wasn't scary at all. Just very bright.

Have a great hike and looking forward to a trip report afterwards.

Carl
    That's awesome Carl! I'm clipping those campsite directions and we will look for that very spot. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    We're off at 5:30 AM Thursday morning. Catch y'all on the flipside. In the meantime, GET OFF THAT COUCH!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast