SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Agreed that there can be virtues to a shorter hammock as long as you're comfortable at night. Keep in mind that your tree distance range is actually more dependent on your tarp length. And be sure to get a ridgeline for your hammock for those times when the only usable trees are 20+ feet apart, unless of course, you're bringing a ladder with you.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    I ran into John Yarbro, AKA Mace around Damascus on the AT a few weeks back. He's hiking the AT with a WBB and Cloud Burst. I believ ehe had a ULA Circut. Mace may be the first WB Bridge to thru to Katahdin. He had his WBB tricked out with hiking pole mods, but the rest was stock. I emailed Brandon that it it would be pretty cool to check in with Mace. Mace is up to NY now. His FB page is https://www.facebook.com/john.yarbro.752?fref=ts

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.6/1.0
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Thanks for all the good infomation Jake2c. Hope you make it back out and can finish you hike.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Images
    I hiked with someone who used a hammock system for his thru hike. His setup was the Warbonnet Superfly tarp, Blackbird XLC, 3-season Torso Lynx, 20deg TQ.

In addition to the normal hammock gear, he carried an additional Sleeping Pad. Heavy precipitations and the threat of thunderstorms makes the shelters along the AT a very appealing option. Also, if you get work-for-stay at the huts in the Whites, you'll want something to cushion you from the hardwood floors.

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Quilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I'm thru-hiking the AT next year too. I'll be using a hammock. I've thought about switching out to a, dare I say, tent. The Zpacks Soloplex. But after crunching the numbers the weight savings is 16 ounces from my hammock set up. As of right now my base weight with winter layers is 10.63 lbs. I would much rather sleep in a hammock than in a tent. With a tent I would have to search for a level cleared area. With the hammock not so. If you would like details on my setup just ask. I'll see you on the trail next year!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    not a thru, but I did a short section through NC-VA and what I found as a hanger is you're not always going to find good spots to hang close to a shelter. this is not important if you manage your water but they are often co-located.

I carried top and under quilts but I wish I had found room in my pack for a lightweight pad. this would have been handy a few times to just bunk in the shelter when it was extreme weather or sometimes when all I wanted to do was just drop and sleep.

I saw a couple people using hammocks with pads instead of UQ and was a little jealous when they just set up their pad and quilt in the shelter, ate a cold dinner and dropped off to sleep. and they were often gone when I woke up around daylight...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    [QUOTE=Secondmouse;1657550]not a thru, but I did a short section through NC-VA and what I found as a hanger is you're not always going to find good spots to hang close to a shelter. this is not important if you manage your water but they are often co-located.

I carried top and under quilts but I wish I had found room in my pack for a lightweight pad. this would have been handy a few times to just bunk in the shelter when it was extreme weather or sometimes when all I wanted to do was just drop and sleep.

I saw a couple people using hammocks with pads instead of UQ and was a little jealous when they just set up their pad and quilt in the shelter, ate a cold dinner and dropped off to sleep. and they were often gone when I woke up around daylight...[/QUOTE]

I would strongly second this.
    I personally prefer double layer bridges for a hike like the AT for the options.

Yar- a hammock is more comfy than the ground.
    Yar- a gathered end with UQ is about as light as you get.

But... Some of the very best nights I've had anywhere include cowboy camping on Max Patch or other balds down south, multiple spots above treeline up north, a lightning bug filled meadow, or even crashed out on someone's floor during a town stop or when a hostel is crowded and you can't hang. Like the time my hiking partner and I "talked" two girls from Switzerland who spoke broken English into cowboy camping on the top of a mountain with us.

And... no matter what anyone tells you about the craphole looser town mice invested shelter stayers; there will come a time when you'll be quite happy to roll into that shelter, dump down your pad, and sleep.
    PS- even if you have the whole shelter to yourself- don't hang in the shelters please.

On a short trip- I've pretty well gone from full time ground guy to full time hanger.
    On a long trip- A hammock with a pad gives you more options and is the best of both worlds. The AT is not a backwoods, trekking across the wilderness experience- don't sell it short and miss out on taking advantage of all it has to offer. There are countless places to visit along the way you cannot hang, countless hidey holes in town you can sleep, and a good bit of companionship and joy to be had meeting fellow hikers at shelters and elsewhere.

I'm not quite happy yet but-

The lightest system I've done-
    26" Micro single layer micro bridge- tree to tree including spreaders -12 ounces.
    40* TQ- 12 ounces
    Women's neo-air- 12 ounces
    Micro tarp- 12 ounces.

48 ounces, 3lbs on the nose.

To keep it light- I simply wore a head net for bugs but I'm not a huge fan of that for a long trip.

But
    I've also gone to a large neo-air rather than the women's- the 4 ounces is worth it.
    I've been working on my 36" bar bridges, which are a bit closer to a pound without a bug net.
    I think that extra pound is well worth it- and the bridge hammock can also be used as a (light) ground sheet to protect the pad when cowboy or shelter camping.

If you plan to go to ground in wet areas (not a shelter or clear cowboy camping night)- a bit of polycro (window seal) weighs and packs to almost nothing for an occasional use waterproof ground sheet.

Lots to learn- but don't automatically write off a hammock and pad combo...

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Quilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images

AT thru hike hammock system

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhunter68 View Post
    I am thru hiking the AT starting next March 1. I am basically sold on he hammock idea. 1 is there anyone on here that has thru hiked the AT and used a hammock system the entire trail. 2. I have a eno system and with their under quilt, a top quilt and bug protection I am almost at five pounds. With tent I am at three max with bag and pad. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
    Does that include a tarp or fly? YouTuber SamIAm used an ENO during his thru-hike.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 07-30-2016 at 01:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There are several through hikers that you can learn from first hand as well. Here's one through hikers review of his hammock system he used.
    http://sectionhiker.com/warbonnet-bl...ammock-review/

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    There are several through hikers that you can learn from first hand as well. Here's one through hikers review of his hammock system he used.
    http://sectionhiker.com/warbonnet-bl...ammock-review/
    you're saying the guy who has Sectionhiker.com is a thru hiker? kinda confusing...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast