Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    This is the suspension i settled on. I use 2.2 12 ft straps and multi-buckles so i don't even have to tie a knot because I'm just that lazy. Entire suspension weighs 2.5 oz.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Are you the guy I gave a ride to the truck stop at DWG where you showed me your helios suspension? Although I seem to recall it was a foot problem.
    Yes I am the guy. Turns out I do have a ripped meniscus and it was that, that led to my foot problem. I Hiked on a sore knee it for about 200 miles and did not realize I was compensating so much for it. That is what caused the eventual problem in my foot which at the time you picked me up, was more painful than my knee. Foot healed up nicely, need to see the doc again to move forward on the knee. In any case, you are one of the great examples I have shared with others about some of the great people I met on the trail. Your kindness in picking me up and driving me all the way to a truck stop was a really needed act of kindness. I can't thank you enough. Bless you always.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    Yes I am the guy. Turns out I do have a ripped meniscus and it was that, that led to my foot problem. I Hiked on a sore knee it for about 200 miles and did not realize I was compensating so much for it. That is what caused the eventual problem in my foot which at the time you picked me up, was more painful than my knee. Foot healed up nicely, need to see the doc again to move forward on the knee. In any case, you are one of the great examples I have shared with others about some of the great people I met on the trail. Your kindness in picking me up and driving me all the way to a truck stop was a really needed act of kindness. I can't thank you enough. Bless you always.
    We were wondering how ya made out. I know about knee and foot problems, got plenty of my own! As soon as I saw your 1st post above I even said to Annie that your foot problem could have been due to overcompensating. Sure enough. After dropping you off and getting closer to home, it dawned on me that I could have brought you home where you could pitch in the back yard. In the morning you could have come to work with me in N. Plainfield. Would have been an hour and half or so closer for your niece to pick you up. I'm just assuming she didn't have to go to work though. We're glad we were able to help. We figure what goes around comes around, we may find ourselves needing a helping hand some day. Let us know when you get restarted.

Forum trail magic, awesome.

I would look into the hennessy systems for cost vs. Weight.

Ive been using a hennessy ul backpacker i recently got and ive noticed two things i love.

A) its short. Everytime ive been out ive taken the trees the blackbirds or skeeter beeters were too long for. Its also easier to get trees closer together with no undergrowth between vs. 20ft apart trees. My site selection has greatly increased.

As far as comfort, 6ft is the max but comfortable max and i barely need an angle for a flat lay and it lays flatter than my previous hammocks minus my ridge runner. Also the diamond fly that comes with it actually provides reasonable peotection though it didnt look like it would.

2) packability and ease of setup and takedown. Tarp and hammock pack together in small stuff sack and weighs 2lbs total. 1lb 15oz. I use a helios suspension with the stock spectra line and i can cover a huge range of tree span.

Im sticking with it for my backpacking system for now. Baseweight of 12 or so lbs with it and not skimping on luxury.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winderdream
    Insulation
    EE Enigma/Revolt
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm also planning a future AT thru on a hammock, and one of the key things I'd recommend is to change up your insulation overtime. If you can afford it and have someone to help ship things to you, start with a lower degree UQ in March, ditch it for a 1-season UQ in May. It may get costly, but if you truly want to hang the whole way, it may also help.

I'm still working out my plans, but I will probably bring a 1-season UQ and a thermarest pad. Most people here will tell you they don't like pads as hammock insulation, but the versatility of using in a shelter when you need to may be worth it. On a thru, as I'm sure you know, it's all about shaving ounces and double-dipping your gear. If you can use something for multiple purposes, you'll save on unnecessary weight. If you haven't read Derek Hansen's books on UL and Hammock camping yet, definitely pick them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Talk to Dutch,,he did the AT using a hammock
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I've only dong just over 900 miles of the AT, about 500 of that with a hammock. My one suggestion, & this will add a bit of weight, get a longer suspension than you think you need. I can go to about 30 feet* Plus 2 trees about 3' diameter, One hang (& I really didn't have much other option at the end of a pretty long day) nearly maxed my suspension out. Actually, could have gone further than that with the hammock, but my tarp was maxed. I had about 2" of suspension for my tarp left.
    I also second / third (forth?) the go as light as possible hints. The less you carry, the further you can go in a day.

*I never actually measured!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    A number of members here have completed AT thru-hikes using a hammock. I completed my SOBO thru in 2015 using the following kit:

Dutchware Half-wit 1.0 w/ 5 foot tree huggers: ~15oz
    Z-Packs tarp w/ doors, 30' CRL w/ Tarp Flyz, Z-Line guyline: ~12oz
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ: ~15oz
    HG Burrow 20 TQ: ~19oz

That's 61oz or 3.8lbs

I don't know what my stakes weighed.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Suggestions ... ditch the ENO hammock, ENO bug net, and ENO suspension. For $100 to $150 you can replace it and save ~1 - 1.5 lbs (rough guess). You'll have to do the math. The ENO bug net alone is 16 oz (that's real heavy for mesh). Check out Dutchware for Hexon 1.0 hammocks, bug net, and suspension. Kevlar hugger/straps using a marlin spike hitch and whoopie slings for the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I've only dong just over 900 miles of the AT, about 500 of that with a hammock. My one suggestion, & this will add a bit of weight, get a longer suspension than you think you need. I can go to about 30 feet* Plus 2 trees about 3' diameter, One hang (& I really didn't have much other option at the end of a pretty long day) nearly maxed my suspension out. Actually, could have gone further than that with the hammock, but my tarp was maxed. I had about 2" of suspension for my tarp left.
    I also second / third (forth?) the go as light as possible hints. The less you carry, the further you can go in a day.

*I never actually measured!
    +1 on this. Didn't think to add it. In the 1500 miles I hiked on the AT, I never ran into an issue where I couldn't find trees far enough apart. I have a WBBB XLT and can get down to about 15 feet though 18 is optimal and I have had to stretch approximately 25. Add to that two trees with girth and you can see how long straps would help. My XLT had whoopee slings so I usually adjusted my straps as short as possible and left them there. My straps also have a whoopee portion. That part allowed me the extra distance I needed when I wanted it but added very little weight. I could have done with out the extra length I guess but just found it opened up options.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast