Tarp
    12' Hideaway Hex
    Insulation
    CRO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

DD Under Blanket on the WBBB XLC

I've been researching and I think I'm set on buying a DD Under Blanket. I've been searching the forums on how to attach to the WBBB XLC with the bug net still in place. I haven't found many posts or YouTube videos on this particular topic. My question is do I need to use triangle things to suspend the quilt or is there a better way?

P.S. I decided on the DD over the snug pack do to the savings in weight. And I only hang down to low 30's and I'm a warm sleeper. From what I read this set up should get me there. Any experience is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand.
    -Coolhand Luke-
    http://cedarridgegear.com/
    http://facebook.com/crocustom Give us a

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Any reason you chose the DD over other synthetic quilts like the Jarbidge River from AHE or the cayenne pepper from loco libre gear? They are both only like 5-10 dollars more expensive than the DD. They are true to their temp. rating, made with premium materials, use a better suspension and weigh about a pound less. I don't mean to necessarily dissuade you from your purchase, just letting you know about the other superior options out there in the same price category.

Hammock
    12' CRO Lounger
    Tarp
    12' Hideaway Hex
    Insulation
    CRO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Any reason you chose the DD over other synthetic quilts like the Jarbidge River from AHE or the cayenne pepper from loco libre gear? They are both only like 5-10 dollars more expensive than the DD. They are true to their temp. rating, made with premium materials, use a better suspension and weigh about a pound less. I don't mean to necessarily dissuade you from your purchase, just letting you know about the other superior options out there in the same price category.
    The Cayenne for a comparable length 80" with 6.0 climashield is 27.6oz and $155
    The DD is 78.5" good down to -5C (23F) 33.5oz and $95
    The Jarbridge is 58" with 6.0 climashield, 20oz and $100.
    The DD just seemed like the most synthetic bang for the buck. With only a 5.9oz savings in weight for the extra $60 for the cayenne I just thought the DD was my best option. But if you know something about the DD being of sub par quality please let me know. I'd hate to spend $95 for something that won't last.

-Coolhand Luke-

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    80 inches is quite a bit of length. Why would you need that much quilt? Again, I am asking, not being a donkey hahaha. I do understand that the DD is a better bang for your buck and is decent quality, but I am also an advocate for the buy once, cry once philosophy. The cayenne pepper utilizes down draft collars, and a secondary suspension. I would also go out on a limb and say that there is no differential cut on the DD from the reviews I have read. That is a big plus with an UQ. I do not believe the DD Underblanket is of inferior quality, I do not think that the DD materials (including the climashield vs "synthetic silk") are equal, nor the construction. And I also value the ability to choose colors etc. If you are just going to be car camping, back yard-ing this quilt seems as though it will serve you just fine. I am not trying to be elitist (which it seems as though you gleaned from my post), but I would definitely make sure I got something that wouldn't want to upgrade in the next year when I get more interested and encompassed with the excitement of hammock camping.The cost of a DD and one of the other quilts afterward would be enough for full length down. Insulation is a vital piece to hammock camping, and I would rather use a walmart tarp and a great UQ than a cuben tarp and an OK underquilt. HYOH . (Btw, Good on you for doing your research. If it is what you want, go for it! I was just introducing other options if you weren't aware.)

-Intimidator

Hammock
    12' CRO Lounger
    Tarp
    12' Hideaway Hex
    Insulation
    CRO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well I wanted a full length quilt, as I'm 6'2" an 80" quilt would give me plenty of wiggle room. I don't think your being an elitist, I've never had hands on any of these products I can only go by what I read. I don't car camp, I spend most of my time in backcountry. My ultimate goal is to eventually go to a down quilt I just don't have the funds currently. I'm just tired of a pad and want to go with a quilt.
    I thank you for your input.

-Coolhand Luke-

Images
    I have a DD underblanket.
    I have no experience with fitting it to a XLC, but got frustrated getting a good fit to My Dutch 11' (it wasn't great on my DD Jungle Modular either.
    In my opinion it's a daft suspension system, gladly went back to my HG Phoenix and its sensible suspension.
    Very tempted to sell it on and make a DIY for my backup/sharing quilt.

Hammock
    12' CRO Lounger
    Tarp
    12' Hideaway Hex
    Insulation
    CRO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    I have a DD underblanket.
    I have no experience with fitting it to a XLC, but got frustrated getting a good fit to My Dutch 11' (it wasn't great on my DD Jungle Modular either.
    In my opinion it's a daft suspension system, gladly went back to my HG Phoenix and its sensible suspension.
    Very tempted to sell it on and make a DIY for my backup/sharing quilt.
    Well that's unfortunate. Now I'm really perplexed.

-Coolhand Luke-

Hammock
    12' CRO Lounger
    Tarp
    12' Hideaway Hex
    Insulation
    CRO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    80 inches is quite a bit of length. Why would you need that much quilt? Again, I am asking, not being a donkey hahaha. I do understand that the DD is a better bang for your buck and is decent quality, but I am also an advocate for the buy once, cry once philosophy. The cayenne pepper utilizes down draft collars, and a secondary suspension. I would also go out on a limb and say that there is no differential cut on the DD from the reviews I have read. That is a big plus with an UQ. I do not believe the DD Underblanket is of inferior quality, I do not think that the DD materials (including the climashield vs "synthetic silk") are equal, nor the construction. And I also value the ability to choose colors etc. If you are just going to be car camping, back yard-ing this quilt seems as though it will serve you just fine. I am not trying to be elitist (which it seems as though you gleaned from my post), but I would definitely make sure I got something that wouldn't want to upgrade in the next year when I get more interested and encompassed with the excitement of hammock camping.The cost of a DD and one of the other quilts afterward would be enough for full length down. Insulation is a vital piece to hammock camping, and I would rather use a walmart tarp and a great UQ than a cuben tarp and an OK underquilt. HYOH . (Btw, Good on you for doing your research. If it is what you want, go for it! I was just introducing other options if you weren't aware.)

-Intimidator
    Well I pulled the trigger on a Loco Libre Cayenne Pepper. 74"x 50" 6.0 Climashield in Woodland Camo. I think it was the right choice. Thanks for the help. I really think I got the best balance between quality and price. Plus after all the great things I've read about their gear and the customization options it was a no brainier. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Coolhand Luke-

Hammock
    12' CRO Lounger
    Tarp
    12' Hideaway Hex
    Insulation
    CRO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Your cry once buy once statement tipped the scales.

-Coolhand Luke-

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by washworth View Post
    Your cry once buy once statement tipped the scales.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing some pics of it. No problem on the advice. I started out buying stuff like the DD and Noah tarp, and quickly realized that I wanted the better stuff, and needed it to keep bulk and pack weight down. Happy Hanging !

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast