Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

MI/Grayling Area-Jones Lake State Forest CG Group Hang, July 29-31, 2016

It's been pretty quiet in Michigan, since fall & winter are when most of the group hangs occur. A couple of us were talking (Turkey & Squirrelbait) and decided to get together the end of the month at Jones Lake for a car camp weekend. Turkey did some recon work a few weeks ago and gave it his seal of approval. He'll make another trip out there to get some site numbers and determine where basecamp will be. There are 42 rustic sites that are $13/night. First come, first serve and some of the sites have a view of the lake. There are multiple rustic toilets and water pumps.

Turkey's planning on arriving sometime Friday and I'll be rolling in early evening. Everyone's responsible for their own food, but we'll see how much interest there is, so maybe we can do some group meals. Plus, it's easy enough to run out to the store since Fredric & Grayling aren't too far away. I'd also recommend bringing a bundle or two of firewood, since the DNR cleaned up the campground by removing the dead & diseased trees.

This is basically just a weekend to hang out and enjoy some time with friends around the campfire. We're also looking at Jones as the new location for our November Gluttony Hang, so this will help our decision. Jones Lake is also an easy drive and only 7 miles east of I-75 at the Lewiston/Fredric exit. So, come one, come all and and enjoy a weekend in the woods of northern Michigan!

DNR link to campground: http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...=SFCG#overview
    Last edited by michigandave; 07-07-2016 at 09:27.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Would love to, but we're scheduled to work that weekend and I can't get out of it. Sounds like another great Michigan hang though.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    dup post...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Just PM'ed Dave about this. I'm penciling it in, but my fall schedule is packed so I don't want to overdo it by adding a trip before that even starts!

And as an out of state-er, I need to fork out $31 for a rec passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    Would love to, but we're scheduled to work that weekend and I can't get out of it. Sounds like another great Michigan hang though.
    If things change and I head up, I'll give you a lift!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Just PM'ed Dave about this. I'm penciling it in, but my fall schedule is packed so I don't want to overdo it by adding a trip before that even starts!

And as an out of state-er, I need to fork out $31 for a rec passport.

If things change and I head up, I'll give you a lift!

That would be great Mark! Carpooling would definitely be the way to go on those hangs up north. I'll keep that in mind for future trips as well.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    We must all be thinking alike because CNCD11, Elea and I have scheduled a Hang/Kayak muskie fishing trip at Lake Hudson Rec Area for the same weekend.
    I already paid for the campsite and I am super excited about the chance for one of those big, toothy fish!

I am selfishly tempted to suggest relocating down here but you guys already have a good thing going on. I'm sure I'll see you all again soon enough.
    I hope you guys have fun!
    PLEASE watch out for ticks at Jones... they can be thick up there!
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I think I'm in for Jones! I'm a big baby when it comes to the heat, but car camping should be easy without the hiking. Cooler, ice, beer...piece of cake! I should be able to make it anytime really. Planning on 1pm or so.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    I need to get in on this one. Hopefully I'll make it Friday, but if not count me in by Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I think I'm in for Jones! I'm a big baby when it comes to the heat, but car camping should be easy without the hiking. Cooler, ice, beer...piece of cake! I should be able to make it anytime really. Planning on 1pm or so.
    Note, you're allowed 1 post on this thread regarding watching the weather report, otherwise we'll revoke you're hammock permit . Seriously, glad you can make it and looking forward to hanging out with you in the woods of northern Michigan!

Quote Originally Posted by Christo456 View Post
    I need to get in on this one. Hopefully I'll make it Friday, but if not count me in by Saturday morning.
    Good to hear! Are you planning on bringing the dutch oven and wow us with your culinary skills? Speaking of food, I think I'll whip up my traditional sausage gravy w/cornbread for breakfast Saturday morning and probably bring a few jumbo bottles of microbrews for sampling. Once we have a handle on number attending, then we'll get the food discussion underway.

I just got the following intel from Turkey regarding optimal hanging sites in the various loops that are closest to the lake: Loop #3 sites 15-21 & Loop #4 sites 22-28 . He'll be arriving Thursday night or Friday morning to secure basecamp and will post an update on the thread.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Note, you're allowed 1 post on this thread regarding watching the weather report, otherwise we'll revoke you're hammock permit . Seriously, glad you can make it and looking forward to hanging out with you in the woods of northern Michigan!
    HAHAHA!!!!!! How about I hold off on that altogether. Summer just isn't exciting as winter!

Looking forward to it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast