Question Tarp condensation in wet weather

Hi all. We just returned from a long weekend car camping, and experienced an unexpected problem. My daughter and I were doing hammocks under Grand Trunk tarps, easily covering the hammocks. There was light rainy misty weather for three days, 65-75F and even the first day coming back from a hike, we found nearly as much water beaded up on the underside of the tarp as above the tarp. Did the best I could wiping with a bandana (and inadvertently the shirt on my back!), but neither of us could help getting a lot of water falling off onto our hammocks. The water did not appear to be coming through the tarp, but simple condensing out of the air and wet ground underneath. The second night I broke out and slipped in the tent with my wife as I had the spooks (for other reasons) but my daughter stuck it out through a torrent that night; rain was kept at bay but everything was damp and a little wet from the under tarp condensation drip. Glad we had synthetic bags and blankets.

So what's up? What is the solution? That issue could be a deal killer for my hammock camping experience. Seemed like it happened the last time I was out and it rained using a different brand of tarp in 90F weather.
    Aus

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There is no solution. Condensation sometimes happens, and it always happened to me in tents too. If condensation is a deal killer for hammock camping, then it will also be for tent camping. When the temps inside your tarp/tent are higher than outside, and the dew point is right, it just happens.

Luckily, in six years of hammock camping, I've only experienced annoying condensation six or seven times. Wait until you give cold weather camping a try, and your breath condenses and freezes on the tarp. You can hit the tarp and it will snow on you!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-05-2016 at 17:11.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It seems like this is the case in wet cool weather. Plus it seems that these material that tarps and packs are made of are like sponges and attack moisture. It's part of the hobby though. If it's a slow rain hang that tarp higher to allow all the air that will move to move through the area. At 95-100% humidity everything is going to eventually get wet just ask the AT through hikers about this one.

Images
    Temperature gradients, air humidity, ground conditions, vegetation, they all play a part. Complex sciencey stuff.

--
    Gadget.

Yes, thanks for commensurating and listening to my complaint. Yep, 90-100% humidity this past weekend and Monday. The tent was no problem I think because it was double walled and we didn't notice any drip, and also I suppose the wet ground is not directly below the rain fly due to the tent bottom.
    We were considering taking more bandanas, or maybe a waterproof sock over the hammock and then shake-skake-shake on the tarp to dislodge 90% of the droplets might help. Yeah, it was a bummer but needs a solution that isn't too tech intensive.
    Aus

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW I would be looking at a fairly steep tarp pitch to let the water run down. If I was car camping an hour with the coleman lantern on the ground under the tarp would also dry out a lot. For the worry warts I am talking on the ground with the tarp 5-6 foot higher and after the lantern stabilizes. (Disclaimer bug me but there it is.)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Images
    I bring 1/2 a shamWow wiping the dew off my tarp is just part of being out there when the humidity is high.

I find that hanging over a lot of greenery can make condensation worse. If I'm forced to I try to pitch so that I get a lot of airflow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Humidity and temperature gradient are the variables that you need to address.
    The atmospheric humidity is one thing, but hanging in a boggy area, over transpiring green vegetation (grass is bad) and the contribution your breath makes, all add to that humidity. These can be managed by choosing your site and pitching high to promote air flow (and you won't brush against the wet material either).
    Humidity on its own is not a problem, it's when the temperature gradient is such that the underside of the tarp is at the dewpoint. You can reduce the steepness of the gradient by either making it cooler under the tarp or warmer over it. Promoting airflow by orientation and height will help below. Above is trickier, but being open to the sheltering sky will mean it gets colder above, a heavy tree canopy will insulate and help.

--
    Gadget.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Yeah, been camping my whole life and, tarp or tent, foggy weather makes everything clammy. Usually once I'm inside my quilt or bag my body temp drives the moisture out of it after a little bit

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts