Hammock
    DIY,Dream and Dutch
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, HG ,AHE
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When looking at the weight of these (or any waterproof) fabrics read the specs,as some of the waterproofing methods will add weight to the fabric.RSBTR 1.1 sil polyPU4000 actually weighs 1.4 per square yd with the PU coating that gives it a 4000 mm waterproof rating so it basicaly weighs the same as Xenon 5300 (1.35 per sq. yd.)with its 5300mm rating.
    The membrane fabrics also weigh more when the PU coating that give the superior water resistance to them.RSBTR .9 silpoly PU4000 acually weighs 1.07per square yd. with the PU coating.
    So just assuming a fabric listed as "membrane" is lighter than a non membrane might not be correct.
    In a winter tarp the differance in a true 1.4 as compared to a true .93 weight fabric figured with a 10 linear yard fabric allowance,(that figures close to 16.5 square yds allowing a 60" fabric width) weight is about 8 oz.I will carry the extra 8 ounces in a tarp I want to protect me from snow,rain,ice and such.
    Just my thoughts,as always HYOH.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the info owlsnest! I didn't consider the weight of the coating. I did go with the xenon 5300 and love it. Great feel, seems durable but light and pack-able. Now here's the kicker... i screwed up in the first step of cutting the material. Read the instructions 3 times and cut it too short....great. I have placed another order for 10 yards and am going to salvage this on into a tarp with a 12 ft ridge-line and possible removable doors. I have several friends that are in need of tarps and I figured I can sell it at cost and chalk it up as a learning experience. I was so nervous about starting this build and didn't know why and now i know.... My father always told me measure twice and cut once, i think that was just a metaphor to pay close attention to the details which i clearly neglected and now i feel dumb . Thanks everyone for their input and help and again I will keep you posted on the rest of the build and hopefully its not the third time is the charm
    If you don't know where you're going, any trail will take you there...

Images
    You are not the first person to ever do this- welcome to the club!

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Yea, its just so upsetting but not all is lost thankfully i think most of it can be salvaged. This is the largest purchase that i have messed up. It is a baaaad feeling lol

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Slow and steady wins the race. So I have only been able to work on it about 2 hours the past two evenings. I have gotten all my tie outs made, everything is cut(both sides of the tarp and the removable doors), and i have completely finished one side. The fabric was surprisingly easy to work with. It lays very nicely and, for me, doesn't seem as slick and hard to work with like several people mentioned. I used a walking foot when sewing the tie outs on which seemed to help keep everything(top and bottom) moving at the same speed which gives it a nice flat hem. I am hoping to finish up a good bit of it this evening and will set it up this weekend to seam seal and take pics. Will be back with update!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    You made an under quilt in prep for a tarp? That's like taking Calculus to get ready to balance your checkbook. Kudos to you but I find tarps way easier to make than quilts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    ^^^

I think its more the scale of the project that seemed daunting to me! Its much easier to lay out and pin an under quilt then it is a tarp. And isnt there much more attention to detail in a tarp vs an under quilt? Under quilt you just pin, sew, add gross grain, then shock cord. While a tarp you have all the tie outs, pinning, hemming, and again just the large size of the material makes it much more tedious to me. I also don't have a super large working area. I have transformed my living room and kitchen in to a sew shop for the past week but its the largest area i have

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    All good, to be honest I was seeing down baffles in my head instead of a synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Don't feel too bad. My first (and so far only) tarp build wound up 3" shorter than I intended. And this after using a HF blue tarp to experiment with first! Ugh.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Okay i finished the 12x10 tarp without doors, got it sealed up and then we had a torrential down pour and thunderstorms with highish winds and the tarp made it though like a champ with out any leaking(the sealer had over 12 hours to set). I am going out this weekend with a group of friends and the gf to McAfees knob to do a little overnight-er and watch the sunset/rise. I plan to have it all set up and will get back with some pictures. I really hope this will be enough coverage for a side by side hang but we will see! thanks for everyone's help and input.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast