Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Make my SRLs as a Lash-It whoopie. Adjustable from about 88% down to around 80%. Usually end up somewhere in the middle after ZZZzzz testing.

Images
    Since we are talking about adjusting the hammocks ridgeline for a better sweetspot, and or reduction or elimination of calfridge pressure it is probably worth mentioning.
    Never lengthen the RL on any hammock that has a fixed/sewn on bugnet. There is a very good chance you will damage it.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Since we are talking about adjusting the hammocks ridgeline for a better sweetspot, and or reduction or elimination of calfridge pressure it is probably worth mentioning.
    Never lengthen the RL on any hammock that has a fixed/sewn on bugnet. There is a very good chance you will damage it.
    Really good use for a Fronkey net. Use it until you have the hammock "Tuned In" and then add the sewn on bugnet.

Hammock
    11' Robic XL
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Screenshot_2016-07-02-09-13-07.jpg

The math of a triangle brings it to 86.6%. I bet somewhere the math works out to 83.3%

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    83%, 86% - i don't understand.

gazillion - i understand!

sv-
    Why does that remind me of government budgeting?
    "We need a bunch of Dutch Bling for our toops to mount ridglelines and tarps."
    "How much?"
    "Ten grand."
    Blank look
    "He can order more, say a million dollars worth?"
    "Million? I think that is what gas in my car cost last week wasn't it?"
    "They will need incubator underquilts. A billion bucks?"
    "Ahhh! I think we can give then twenty billion for it."
    "Sir, we only need..."
    "Look son, we can't even comprehend anything less than tens of trillions! Bug nets! They will need bug nuts! Twenty trillion and spin it so that we save a lot against what foreign nations are spending! There is that mosquito thing you know. Here's your check."
    "Hi... Dutch? Are you sitting down?"

Quote Originally Posted by naticen View Post
    Screenshot_2016-07-02-09-13-07.jpg

The math of a triangle brings it to 86.6%. I bet somewhere the math works out to 83.3%
    For me sweet spot is 84%-85% right between the "triangle math" 86.6% and the "catenary math" 83.3%. My hammock is 10' and each 1% change is about 1 inch. When I make a ridge line change of several inches at a time I can definitely feel the difference in the lay. Not sure I would notice a 1" change .

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    Why does that remind me of government budgeting?
    "We need a bunch of Dutch Bling for our toops to mount ridglelines and tarps."
    "How much?"
    "Ten grand."
    Blank look
    "He can order more, say a million dollars worth?"
    "Million? I think that is what gas in my car cost last week wasn't it?"
    "They will need incubator underquilts. A billion bucks?"
    "Ahhh! I think we can give then twenty billion for it."
    "Sir, we only need..."
    "Look son, we can't even comprehend anything less than tens of trillions! Bug nets! They will need bug nuts! Twenty trillion and spin it so that we save a lot against what foreign nations are spending! There is that mosquito thing you know. Here's your check."
    "Hi... Dutch? Are you sitting down?"
    Love it. Internet win. Give Dutch "two weeks".
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    I think the 83.3 % comesfrom earlyempirical expressions using 10' hammocks (typical Hennessy) and a useful length (and easily remembered) was 100" for the ridge line (5/6 or 83.3) A good starting point for experimentation.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It comes out of sky that is not thick.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hammock hang angle 30
    Suspension hang angle 25

First I've ever heard of this.
    The 30 degree measurement has always been the tree strap and or whoopie angle when the hammock was empty.

I've never once heard anyone recommend you hang your hammocks suspension at 25 degrees to get a 30 degree hammock angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    It's widely said that having your ridgeline at 83% of the length of your hammock is a good starting point.
    It's also said that 30° is a good angle to hang you hammock.

Recently, I've been messing around with Frank's (fwbutler) Hammock Math Calculator and came up with a bit less complex and visually cleaner version, here,
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4&d=1467211327
    or,
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ulator001.xlsx

I started throwing numbers at it, and found a 30° hammock angle does not result in a 83% ridgeline. I assumed that there was a calculation error somewhere. So, I went over to The Ultimate Hang and checked with Derek's Hammock Hang Calculator, same issue though.

A 83% ridgeline gives you a hammock angle of 33.9°, and a 30° hammock angle give you a ridgeline of 86.6%

So, are both the spreadsheet and the calculator wrong... or is something else going on?

Firstoff- nice job on the spreadsheet and digging in...

Now I ain't a mathematical genius myself that can pinpoint the exact spot where this goes wrong a bit, but more or less others have nailed it: Once you get in the hammock all measurements are null and void. (mostly)

Two things you can't excel-
    The stretch of all the components when weighted... even non stretchy stuff stretches a bit... and really at a 3% margin of error on your 83 vs 86% even a 1% stretch in each component could do er.

While it shouldn't matter too much- depending on your lay angle in the hammock the hammock can form a bit more of a half hexagon with some rounded edges than a true ellipse or other easy(easier) to define arc. A slightly smaller than math perfect (83% vs 86%) may more accurately be the correct distance between the two ends.

To Outandback's point on the 25 to get the 30*-
    I don't claim to understand fully 1/4 of what the Good Professor Hammock says; however in some bridge discussions especially related to building endcaps and/or extending the bridge ends past the spreader bar:
    We did discuss roughly that starting around X degrees on paper, did result in a slightly bigger angle when the bridge is weighted.

While I couldn't crunch the numbers; I believe that the premise is accurate and that starting around 25* (in a bridge at least) does result in a weighted angle around 30*. An item of some note to me as I was having some issues with that very issue when going from paper to tree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast