Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Amsteel Color Selection Question

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a set of whoopee slings made of Amsteel and would like to hear folks' thoughts on color selection. My goals are as follows:

-Blend in with the environs (I am assuming that Amsteel does NOT have reflective tracers)
    -Allow my color choices to inform an intuitive method of setup
    -Allow my color choices to help prevent tangling when packing/unpacking
    -Keep it simple (considering fatigue when setting up hammock at the end of a hard day on the trail)

I was thinking about having a small continuous loop of red on the hammock (red=head), black for both slings or perhaps two different color slings. I also am going to have a structural ridgeline so that could potentially add complexity.

I am also going to have a separate CRL for a tarp too.

Given all these considerations and goals, does anyone have an approach they have followed in building out the cordage in their systems? My tarp ties outs will probably be hi-viz but not sure.

I am just working through my system and I am sure there are folks here who have more experience in the field on what works for them.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    My wife and I have red (= head) CLs and whoopies, and black CLs and whoopies for our feet.

As far as being visible, the red doesn't really stand out from afar. It's pretty subdued, as far as red goes, and it wears with use as well. Our orange tree straps are much louder!

Dutch does have some Amsteel with reflective tracers if you are so inclined.

That's just what we do! HYOH!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies

Amsteel Color Selection Question

All mine are black because I have an 800ft spool of black amsteel. However, two colors would be nice at set up time.
    Last edited by Flatliner; 06-27-2016 at 19:02.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I usually go with black continuous loops at feet end. Some color (usually orange or yellow) at head end. That is all you really need for ease of identification. Everything else can be black if you want subdued. I always go with bright yellow reflective for tarp tie outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    In reference to your third point....I find orange tangles less that other colors. YMMV :-)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Not sure how color would prevent tangling. Also, why would you want whoopies that blend in with the environment, then buy high-rez tarp guylines?

I use Dutch whoopie hooks and pay no attention to color since the whoopies are identical - there is no head or foot end difference. I use simple, gathered end hammocks so again, there is no head end or foot end. My continuous loops are likewise identical so there's no difference in color.

I have tons of Amsteel in every color possible, but color just doesn't make my life simpler so I don't have any color scheme.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Not sure how color would prevent tangling. Also, why would you want whoopies that blend in with the environment, then buy high-rez tarp guylines?

I use Dutch whoopie hooks and pay no attention to color since the whoopies are identical - there is no head or foot end difference. I use simple, gathered end hammocks so again, there is no head end or foot end. My continuous loops are likewise identical so there's no difference in color.

I have tons of Amsteel in every color possible, but color just doesn't make my life simpler so I don't have any color scheme.
    If by chance you included me in your tangle reference, mine of course was sarcasm....you seem a pretty sharp guy but just in case.

I too wonder about the blending vs hi viz. In fact, not much of the post makes much sense to me.....seems to be a theme.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    If by chance you included me in your tangle reference, mine of course was sarcasm....you seem a pretty sharp guy but just in case.

I too wonder about the blending vs hi viz. In fact, not much of the post makes much sense to me.....seems to be a theme.
    I had to ignore your "orange doesn't tangle as much" reference - just couldn't go there! However, orange happens to be one of my favorite colors of Amsteel. It just looks nice, even after it fades.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I do get why someone would consider two different colors. My XLC came with whoopies attached to the hammock and I do know people who leave them attached. Personally, with the XLC I know which side of the bag has the head or foot because the bag is marked but I get the thought. Not everybody has a set up that is 'reversible'

Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Anyone who's ever competed on dirt bikes can tell you from experience that red is faster.

I use red/head green/feet for CL's and whoopies. The only place/time I can think of it making any difference for whoopies is where the mount points are fixed, like in the house, AND you happen to swap out suspensions fairly often like I do. While certainly not a big deal, in that situation it can be quite convenient to not have to readjust things, so I maintain the color scheme.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast