Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    i'm about the same as silversurfer, about 70-75* at night is my limit, depending on humidity. luckily, i live near enough to the poconos i can stretch my camping days another month or so. but August is hot and soupy no matter where i go around here, so i plan on a lot of couch time in august.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Be carefull...his dancing girls probably have 4 feet, a wagging tail and bark
    You're a mean one, Mr Grinch!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex fly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Polystraps
    This has been an unusually cool summer so far here in the Front Range of the Rockies. We've had less than 10 days in the high 90's and only a few over/nearing 100 (irregardless of what the weather stations say, my weather station and several thermometers have had it over 100).

Right now, it's 10:08p and it's 58F. Two weekends ago i took a friend from my home state of MI camping near Wilkerson Pass at ~9,500' ASL. It was downright chilly in the mid-40's overnight.

I grew up in northern MI and know the humidity as well as living in Fayetteville, NC for ~2 1/2 yrs and just south of Lexington, KY for 6 yrs. I've experienced the high heat and super high humidity as well as living here in Colorado with it's oven-hot dry heat.

As much as i hate the high heat and knowing how crushing 110F feels, i'll take it every time over the high humidity.
    "Just because you're lost doesn't mean your compass is broken"
    Charles Morse

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've already hiked a few 90* F days here in NJ this year, but thankfully, it cooled off dramatically at night to the 50s or lower. I have a couple of blueberry-picking trips planned this month in the NJ Pine Barrens, but I'll be right next to the Batsto River so I can jump in and cool off!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Whoa! Another GNU/Linux user--and a ham to boot! Nice to meet you, wa4chq! On another note, I may be a hammock green horn, but I'm starting to think the only thing that'll possibly make hammock tech any better would be to make it run Linux! Just think! Plug in a cell phone battery, hit the power button, and it'll hang itself during startup, play your favorite music, extend an antenna for comms, and bring up The Ultimate Hang ebook!
    When pixie dust fails, LowTekk will get you home.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTekk View Post
    Whoa! Another GNU/Linux user--and a ham to boot! Nice to meet you, wa4chq! On another note, I may be a hammock green horn, but I'm starting to think the only thing that'll possibly make hammock tech any better would be to make it run Linux! Just think! Plug in a cell phone battery, hit the power button, and it'll hang itself during startup, play your favorite music, extend an antenna for comms, and bring up The Ultimate Hang ebook!
    It'd be an upgrade from this tree that comes with its own power supply.

Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTekk View Post
    Linux user since the mid 90s here, too!

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    It'd be an upgrade from this tree that comes with its own power supply.

We can build it. Make it faster, stronger. We'll stick with an LTS hammock. That way the warranty doesn't end when the new version comes out in six months.

Hammock
    11' Circle Beard
    Insulation
    GI poncho liner
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Linux user since the mid 90s here, too!
    Used it since June of 2000, switched over completely in September of 2004. No license fees, stable software, and no viruses to speak of. Just more time oogling hammocks. Speaking of which, I've got a 12v solar panel collecting dust.... one wonders what kind of techinsteining could be done with that...? I'm imagining a solar-powered battery pack that'll be secured to the hammock suspension, driving a small USB hub on the structural ridgeline. Might be good to charge small things, like lights, cell phone, ebook reader... or run that 12v camp fan fan for those nights when it's hot enough to fry an egg in your hammock....
    Last edited by LowTekk; 07-06-2016 at 10:49.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Use the hot sun to your advantage with the solar panels. Use the tech to make the tarp able to collect the sunlight and make power for a small portable A/C unit or fan or such.

Or, you can just accept that you're in nature, heat and all. I don't think I would like all that tech....I like to get away from it in the woods.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast