Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Didn't find much of any kind of waterfall. We went up coppermine to the 2nd spur to kaiser then to the AT. Went a fairly short distance south till we found some boulders in a clearing overlooking lower yards creek. Stopped to have lunch and returned down kaiser to the lower spur.

The orange trail is Garvey which takes you back to Douglas park lot. The boulders along Sunfish are large and relentless, probably not the best route for someone who's hurting. Suggest the fireroad around the back of Sunfish, which comes back out on the AT just before the left onto Garvey. Watch for snakes back there! Also, Garvey is ALL downhill with not much relief. I can go uphill all day long, but point me downhill and my legs turn to rubber in surprising short order. I actually do better running downhill. Those routes are going to be tough in this heat and humidity, especially for your bud.

As you said, first hang out there, especially under these weather conditions, I also would not recommend. Maybe if someone has some earplugs it just might help a bit to try to cancel out distractions.

Although a much longer way around, taking Dunnfield Creek trail from Sunfish would at least allow for dips in the creek. Follow back to cross the AT and continue down Fairview (or Farview) to Old Mine Rd at Karamac/Fairview park lot. Unfortunately it's a long hike down the road back to Douglas, but overall may be far easier than humping it through the woods. I dunno, it's a long way around, you'd be the better part of the day I'd guess.

Would like to meet up some time. My wife goes slow, but we keep plugging along.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

hardware alternative to tato tarp connector?

Getting ready to turn in.. Been up chatting for a while. This group of thru hikers have about ten joints going at one time and I'm way too past that.

We've done the fire road from Tammany up around the pond and the AT back down to 80 as well, so we know those rocks, as well as the snakes. Plenty of T-Rattlers and a Copperheads. Garvey was the original return route and what goes up has to come down, so we don't have too many choices to avoid the decent to the lot. My buddy loaded up on electrolytes, and all of the liquids he carried in are now gone so he has a lighter load.

Hot as it was during the day, the night is stellar. I was fine with the hike in and I wandered around today with no ill effects.

The waterfall I mentioned was about 1-1.5 miles in from the road on Coppermines Trail. I have the coordinates if you want to check it out. It is a decent clearing on the right side coming in away from the road. Flat with seven to ten trees if I recall it. It's just before Coppermines splits from the water it follows from the start of the trail.

Neither my wife, nor my daughter have any interest in the trail and I often wonder about my buddy. He can't sit still and is always thinking about leaving when I'm thinking I'd like to chill for a while longer. He was a good day hike partner but doesn't seem too into anything longer.

Sent from East of Montauk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Got all my gear unpacked and hung up to air out. Now that I have a reasonable level of comfort in the holding power of the mini-ucr, I started replicating my current setup with the button knot on the ucr and locking loop on the ridge tie outs. I made two more buttons, single strand Celtic button knots this time.. They are really small, considering they are single strands. But after I got the buttons done I thought.. Why change again. Yeah, I could shave about an inch off each end, but at this point, it's diminishing returns. I'm leaving the mini-ucr alone for now!

Sent from East of Montauk
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Gatherd End
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKhammock UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the inspiration

Skickat från min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Welcome to the club! Come back and let us know how this works out for you long term.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maximillian View Post
    Awesome!!

How are you connecting to the tarp? Are you going to use a sliding whipping knot on the loop over a button or another means of connecting?
    Side note.. Yellow is my favorite color!! I have about 100 feet of yellow zingit, but my red zingit ridge line still has a lot of life left in it..
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Gatherd End
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKhammock UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Gonna use a Dutch hook and a Wasp to connect to the trees.

Skickat från min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    LoL.. sorry... I see you're using the hook/wasp combo. I'm using the same. I was referring to the mini-ucr to tarp connection. I see you made the fixed brummel on the mini ucr, but don't see the sliding whipping knot. Curious as to your choice of connection to the tarp.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Banana Hammock
    Tarp
    Half Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 950Fill Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps w/ Becket
    I took ideas from this thread and added them to my new tarp.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ished-diy-tarp

Didnt make a crl as I prefer a split ridge line. Its worked great so far and the guy lines a so easy to adjust compared to prusik's.

Images
    I just saw the Mini UCR idea and it looks pretty sweet.
    I made a quick mock-up of one using 7/64th's Amsteel and paracord, but I've changed the end from a fixed loop to something closer to a nacrabiner or soft shackle.

Mini UCR.jpg

In this image, the orange line would be the tarp ridge line. The stainless hardware would represent the plastic D ring or grosgrain loop on the tarp.

The stopper knot is a bad attempt at a double Celtic button knot.
    It might need a pony bead in the loop so you don't accidently pull it apart.
    You'd want to adjust the length so there's just enough slack to get the loop open.
    The eye can be moved right up against the bury section to minimize length.
    Last edited by Gqgeek81; 01-08-2017 at 19:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast