SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Where to find a cool place to hike?

Guys,
    I'm missing the trail and want to get out but it's just too dang hot. I'm only about 5 hours from the Smokies so my question is - how much cooler would it be in the Smokies this time of year? Anyone have a good trail they would recommend for a 6-10 mile day hike or an overnighter in the area? I know the "Big Trail" goes through that area and that would be ok but I've done a lot of this trail in the Smokies and was looking for others. Your suggestions would be welcomed.

Hammock
    Netty
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/ Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Where to find a cool place to hike?

It gets pretty hot and humid this time of year but can get cool in the evenings. Some of my favorite trails are in the Big Creek section of the park as there is a lot of water however it can get pretty crowded in the summer around the swimming holes. Also a few good less crowded trails in the Cosby area. You could also check out the Greenbrier area but I try and stay away from Gatlinburg this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    my summer hikes in arkansas are always water oriented. the vids i've posted lately are in an area that is compressed with mountains and abundant stream activity. arkansas is HOT in the summer months; mountains included. it is a bit cooler at the peaks but.

but there's tradeoffs. the trails here are tend to have heavy canopies. great for shade, but breezes can be stifled somewhat. running streams is my key to success in summer hiking here. trimming base weight is also a factor.

i do the 6-10 mile thing ofter, but often shorter; sometimes i can't hit the trailhead till later in the day on quick trips.

i'm speaking through ignorance but my guess is that the smokies that are nearest you wouldn't be far different from here in summer months.

that leads my planning to insist on streams during the hike and stream-side camping. this is for both dewey and i.

so i would guess that the trail on the smokies will be a hot one, just like here. but the streams make it doable here if one knows where to go.

one of my "backyard" hikes is 5 miles along a couple of ridges and a stream at the end. it is doable now, but last on my list because i'd have to tote a lot of water for breaks along the way.

as you can see, i would suggest focusing heavily on water in the planning, and particularly at camp. the more stream crossings, the better. i would be cautious trusting average temperature ranges of a given area, without streams as insurance.

another suggestion is to consider throttling back on planned distance. instead of 6-10 miles, consider anywhere in the range of 0-5; provided there's water. "zero" meaning somewhere not far from the trailhead that is satisfactory for camping that suits your style, under the circumstances.

right now, i doubt i'll be hanging on any peaks for a while. i never say never, but i can't see a circumstance where i won't be camping by water. and "by" i mean within a few feet from it.

i hope you find a spot that suits you. i hate the pain of not being able to get out. i'll bet you'll go for it......

sv-

Images
    Generally, when I go to Grayson Highlands in the summer the temperature is 15+ degrees cooler than home.
    When we left Grandfather Mountain around 1 on Monday it was upper 60's and hit 81 before we got to Winston Salem.

I also never run into any biting insects which is confusing. Great, but confusing.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    When it gets too warm locally, I head for the Lake Superior North Shore and the Superior Hiking Trail. Admittedly much closer for me than for you. Just over 1000 miles from Huntsville but, you'll be rewarded with lake-cooled breezes and scenic landscapes.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

TallPaul turned me on to this webpage which gives weather forecasts for various peaks and at varying altitudes. Here is Mt Cammerer which is a good surrogate for Big Creek/Mt Sterling:

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/1502

As you can see, at 4,928' which is 1,000' lower than Mt Sterling the temps are mostly in the 60's and 70's which is not chilly, but quite a bit cooler than the "lowlands". It's around 8-10 degrees warmer at 3,281' which is closer to the elevation at Campsite 37. I've also been there in early July when the temps went to the 40's, so it pays to eyeball it right before your hike.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Try shining rock wilderness or joyce kilmer-----------------both are near the smokies and will be a bit cooler than Huntsville!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    TallPaul turned me on to this webpage which gives weather forecasts for various peaks and at varying altitudes. Here is Mt Cammerer which is a good surrogate for Big Creek/Mt Sterling:

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/1502

As you can see, at 4,928' which is 1,000' lower than Mt Sterling the temps are mostly in the 60's and 70's which is not chilly, but quite a bit cooler than the "lowlands". It's around 8-10 degrees warmer at 3,281' which is closer to the elevation at Campsite 37. I've also been there in early July when the temps went to the 40's, so it pays to eyeball it right before your hike.
    Thank you for reminding me about this!

Hammock
    Pares Hammock/Sierra Madre Research
    Tarp
    Nube` 2.0
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    EZ Slings/SRM
    Cone visit the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Lots of trees and definitely probably a lot cooler than the south.
    Erik
    www.WhiteMountainsLodgeandHostel.com
    www.BarstowPhotography.com
    http://www.sierramadreresearch.com/

• + New Posts