Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images

Trace Creek Section of the Ozark Trail

Gideon and I hiked the 26 miles of the Trace Creek section of the Ozark Trail this past weekend. We met up Saturday morning at Hazel Creek campground where we left his car and drove the 45 minutes south to the Highway A trail head opposite Bell Mountain. We started hiking north at about 9:30am.

Right off the bat we hiked headlong into a mountain bike race, 50 or so bikers were coming at us at varying intervals down the trail. There was a bit of stop and go as we made way, but they were past soon enough. This section of the OT is well maintained with little elevation change and we made good time north to the Council Bluff Lake intersection, where we decided to turn east and check out the lake. While on the lake loop the leaders of the returning bike racers started passing us from behind! Luckily, they were spread out much further than in the morning so we only saw a few. We had a late lunch at a small boat launch on the lake shore, and I took the opportunity to soak my feet in the ice cold lake water.

The weather was great all day. Big cottony clouds gave us shade the few times we were out of the canopy and a good breeze kept the woods pleasant. The section was full of small, cold running streams, each with their own individual character, and we happened upon an unmapped spring right along the trail. There were turtles everywhere, and Gideon decided they were the theme of the trip. Here's the spring, running along a larger creek bed separated by a tiny ridge:

IMG_0179.jpg

We camped near Trace Creek for an 18 mile day on Saturday, which I think is the most I've ever done in a day. I slept great with my HG 20 UQ and my Costco TQ (Tyvek taped footbox.) Normally I'm an early riser, but I woke up late on Sunday with Gideon packing up! First time in a while someone had to wait on me, can't say it felt bad! We came up on some horseback riders near Hazel Creek and had a lazy hike out, the woods sure are different when everything's so green:

IMG_0182.jpg

It was a pleasure hiking with Gideon again and the condition of the woods and trail out there on the OT made me second guess my decision that this trip would be the last for the season. I think I have one more hike in me left before Summer! Packs off and done at Highway A:

IMG_0202.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AndyG; 05-26-2016 at 22:45.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Sounds like it was an awesome trip in spite of so much bike traffic on the trail!

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    It was a great hike; sunny and warm but with a cool breeze and a canopy that kept the sun at bay! Lot's of good water sources and it was nice seeing part of the loop trail that goes around Council Bluff lake; I'm going to make that one of the places I check out this fall. Andy and I had been trying to hike together again for a long time; he's good company on the trail!

So I've added some more pictures. The last one is of my traditional end of hike cheeseburger that I get on the way home...okay, I went a bit overboard this time but we covered a lot of miles in just a day and a half!

Here you go:

IMG_1100.JPGIMG_1099.JPGIMG_1095.JPGIMG_1101.JPGIMG_1104.JPGIMG_1114.JPGIMG_1117.JPGIMG_1118.JPGIMG_1127.JPG

Gideon

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Is that an old chimney out in the middle of nowhere?
    Looks like a great area!

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    It sure was! If I remember correctly it was a pretty nice chimney that was made out of poured concrete in a form. Unusual for homesteads in the area that are usually a lot rougher. There is an old smelter chimney at Hazel creek on the northern end, as well.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    It sure was! If I remember correctly it was a pretty nice chimney that was made out of poured concrete in a form. Unusual for homesteads in the area that are usually a lot rougher. There is an old smelter chimney at Hazel creek on the northern end, as well.
    That's pretty cool!

• + New Posts